Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Just purchased a new Centro for my wife and daughter and I am having a tough time figuring a few things out. Let me start by saying that I have had Windows Mobile products for years, so I have no experience with Palm's OS, which is causing my headaches. I have searched through this forum, but still have a few questions. We use Sprint, if that matters.

My daughter is unable to recieve or send pictures in her text messages. Is that a Palm deal or Sprint? Also, I have tryed to add ringers for their phones, which I believe is a matter of getting an MP3 onto the phone. I have done that, but it does not show as an option and I haven't found any type of file explorer where I can even see where the system ringers reside, so as to move the MP3 I added to that directory. Any help is appreciated as I am a fish out of water dealing with Palm's software.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I would guess that the picture message issue is Sprint. In the UK at least SIM cards need data enabling to send MMS.

I haven't got a Centro, but I'm pretty sure that under the hood it acts like my Treo 680 which means that it can't play MP3 as a ringtone- only MIDI. If this is wrong, somebody correct me...

A great freeware filemanager programme is Filez. Download here http://nosleepsoftware.sourceforge.n...php?page=filez

You'll notice that the filing system is vastly different to windows. Palm is basically just one large list.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    If you don't have a data plan, or have it locked out, you can't send and receive mms (picture) messages.

For ringtones, you can find Minitones for free, or Ringo for a cost. You need a ringtone manager for Palm.
    Re the ringtones. To use mp3's you will need them on the SD card, and then you can use a number of 3rd party programs such as RingCare to use them as ringtones, or you can use freeware Minitones or Musictones to trim and incorporate them into your ringtone library on the phone.

There are many threads on here which address custom ringtones.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    You could just use free midi's and not need anything else.
    the ringtone is actually a sprint and palm issue. unlocked treos can actually play mp3 ringtones right out of box. Sprint, I believe, asked palm to disable their smartphones' mp3 capability so that sprint can sell you more ring tones a couple of options for you here:
    1, use a third-party software like many others on this board have already suggested. there is actually a free one out there too.
    2. convert the ringtone in mp3 format to another that is support by centro, like midi, amr, and others. you can search this site for more info on this issue.

hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by sekellogg View Post
    My daughter is unable to recieve or send pictures in her text messages. Is that a Palm deal or Sprint?
    Sprint sends photos via picture mail. To send a picture while texting you have to close all active text boxes and then hit the menu button (the one to the right of the 'Alt' button at the bottom of your keyboard. Then choose 'New Picture Mail'. You then can send a photo. When you receive one (again, not in a text box) you will get an announcement that you have a new picture mail with options to say OK or Go to URL to view the picture mail. You then can see the pic in thumbnail size. To see it larger, tap on it. To save it you can either choose a save option below the photo or tap and hold on the photo and you will have a pop-up asking you if you want to save it.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    For ringtones, if you have mp3s, just convert them.

I have never seen anyone suggest this, but you can use itunes to convert files to ringtones. It says it is for the iphone, but it is the same format for the Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by decypher44 View Post
    I have never seen anyone suggest this, but you can use itunes to convert files to ringtones. It says it is for the iphone, but it is the same format for the Centro.
    You can only convert songs from iTunes that have been purchased thru the iTunes music store. Kinda lame in my opinion. Just get the program called Audacity and convert it. Just save some space on your phone by cutting the song down to the part you want as a ringtone. Then convert it.
    mms (picture) messaging is sprints limitation, just like their 700wx

ATT centro should support it, treo 650 does

for setting mp3 as ring tone, i am using mring for it.. like it better than ringo pro

use filez for filemanager

i will buy a centro as soon as a pink gsm centro is out,
    Quote Originally Posted by daniela View Post
    i will buy a centro as soon as a pink gsm centro is out,
    I'm hoping they release a pink one, too. Everything I've read has only mentioned the ugly white w/green buttons, is that all AT&T is carrying??
    I use MiniTones for my ringtones. I have tried them all mring, ringo pro, ringcare, etc... Minitones does exactly what you want it to do which is place your mp3 ringtones into the directory and can be accessed thru sounds in your Prefs. Minitones allows you to chop up the song rite on your device as well. PLUS IT IS FREE!!!!! Enjoy the Centros ladies.
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I'm hoping they release a pink one, too. Everything I've read has only mentioned the ugly white w/green buttons, is that all AT&T is carrying??
    There will be one in "obsidian"--black, not clear yet how different it is from the Sprint "onyx"... probably the same as the unlocked black ones available in Europe/Hong Kong.

I'd order one of those ASAP if I could be sure it would have warranty coverage in the US...

No word on a red or pink yet that I've seen for GSM, unlocked or AT&T...
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koricua74 View Post
    I use MiniTones for my ringtones. I have tried them all mring, ringo pro, ringcare, etc... Minitones does exactly what you want it to do which is place your mp3 ringtones into the directory and can be accessed thru sounds in your Prefs. Minitones allows you to chop up the song rite on your device as well. PLUS IT IS FREE!!!!! Enjoy the Centros ladies.
    I agree minitones is the way to go. It also sounds better after you make the ringtone then others I have tried. I downloaded ringo on my hubby's 650 but did not like it was well as minitones.

Also with programs like wavepad that you install on comp to make ringtones you have to adjust the sound to make sure it doesn't blow the phone speaker so it is extra work, with minitones you don't have to worry about that.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    I'm in the Chicagoland. My AT&T store, which I've dealt with exclusively for the last 4 years or more, is still telling me today that they can ORDER Centros today, but they will not have them for a couple days. They say that AT&T corporate wouldn't let them order them prior to today.

Why is it all of you are able to find these phones prior to my store even being able to order them?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    With my Sprint Centro, can I utilize mixxer.com? Can't get them ringers/pictures to upload. Help?