Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,
    If the Centro is in AT&T stores, where is the hoopla? Specifically, AT&T's website shows NO Centro available at all, and Palm's website shows only Centro available as Sprint. Wouldn't you think it would be in reverse, the brick and mortar stores would take their time to hang glossy banners and stock up with devices while the websites would be instantly up-to-date with webpages, announcements, advertisements, specials, and so forth all set up days or weeks in advance to launch the moment Centro officially goes live for AT&T/GSM?
    How weird.
    -- Josh
    Maybe Palm cannot afford the advertising, swag etc and is relying on buzz? Feel sorry for Palm if they don't have an AT&T ad budget.
  3.    #3  
    Palm's entire website primarily IS an advertisement! When they launch a new product, even if they can't afford a cent of advertising elsewhere, they produce all sorts of flashy animated glitz on their own website. Today Palm's website shows off either the Palm 755 or the Sprint Palm Centro during my two visits to Palm.com today. Palm "advertising" on their own website costs them nothing.

And if the Centro is an unexpected hotseller keeping Palm afloat until Linux/Nova OS in '09, then I'd expect they would do some flashy advertising the day their flashy successful keep-the-company-afloat smartphone hits the largest network in the nation, AT&T. Likewise, if Centro has performed well for Sprint, I'd think AT&T would show off its new Centro arrival prominently at its website as well.

Palm continues to place lots of web ads at many sites I frequent, such as NY Times online. But only for Centro/Sprint. Let me repeat... how weird.
    -- Josh
    Are you sure those ads you see for the Centro on Sprint were placed by Palm? The only ones I see have been placed by Sprint. Not that that excuses anyone.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    Are you sure those ads you see for the Centro on Sprint were placed by Palm? The only ones I see have been placed by Sprint. Not that that excuses anyone.
    The ads I've seen have hotlinked to PalmThing.com. I doubt that is where Sprint wants interested potential customers to go!
    -- Josh
    You mean you want them to take down the iphone posters?
  7. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Why should there be buzz yet? The Centro hasn't launched yet on AT&T. Even if stores have received their shipments, they probably don't have the Centro out on display yet and are waiting for the official launch, which may happen next week. (After all, the rumors have been saying 2/18-2/19.) No buzz then--that's a different story.
    It was a few weeks before Centro commercials and ads started showing when Sprint launched it...it didn't happen right away.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I agree with Josh. There is something weird to no buildup BEFORE the release.

My best guess? We know that certain parts were in short supply because the sales numbers at Sprint far outpaced estimates. The only thing worse than no buildup would be to have everyone excited, rush down to the store, and have none in stock. Palm might be playing it very conservatively to avoid more bad press. I bet that as more are in stock, they'll be promoting it a lot heavier.
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Why should there be buzz yet? The Centro hasn't launched yet on AT&T. Even if stores have received their shipments, they probably don't have the Centro out on display yet and are waiting for the official launch, which may happen next week. (After all, the rumors have been saying 2/18-2/19.) No buzz then--that's a different story.
    Our very own Smileyboy got one today. So they've been shipped in some places.

AT&T rarely posts "Coming Soon" phones on their site, I've noticed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    I agree with Josh. There is something weird to no buildup BEFORE the release.

My best guess? We know that certain parts were in short supply because the sales numbers at Sprint far outpaced estimates. The only thing worse than no buildup would be to have everyone excited, rush down to the store, and have none in stock. Palm might be playing it very conservatively to avoid more bad press. I bet that as more are in stock, they'll be promoting it a lot heavier.
    I think you're right. My buddy at the at&t store said they received only one.
    If I throw a stick, will you go away?
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Our very own Smileyboy got one today. So they've been shipped in some places.

AT&T rarely posts "Coming Soon" phones on their site, I've noticed.
    My experience has been that they want to focus on what's in stock first, unless you're looking for something specific that's still coming.

And I didn't say that they hadn't been shipped, just that they weren't on display yet. Most people aren't going into AT&T stores asking for a Centro.
    I called all the ATT stores on Friday. They had all gotten their display model that day but they had gotten centros to actually sell. One place actually sold me one, I think it was their display model and they hadn't even taken it out yet. YEAH!!! I love this device.

had
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    My experience has been that they want to focus on what's in stock first, unless you're looking for something specific that's still coming.

And I didn't say that they hadn't been shipped, just that they weren't on display yet. Most people aren't going into AT&T stores asking for a Centro.
    What I was trying to say(I guess badly) was AT&T barely seems to "pump up" new phones that are coming or just released. Except the iPhone, what a coincidence. New phones just "appear" on the list with no real notice.

They did do a lot of pushing for the Blackjack II though. Also the RAZR when it first came out. That's out of the norm for them. But no one's going in asking for a Centro because no one but people who read boards like this know, since there's no notice on the website and no poster in the store(at least the one here). Even though they've started shipping, absolutely no "coming soon" notice from AT&T. They were taking pre-orders for the iPhone around the time it was released though.

You asked "Why should there be buzz yet?" There should be buzz if they want to sell phones. I agree with the OP, where's the hype for the Centro? But they seem to pick and choose which phones they'll hype and forget about the others! Apparently the Centro must not be hot enough to plug.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    You asked "Why should there be buzz yet?" There should be buzz if they want to sell phones. I agree with the OP, where's the hype for the Centro? But they seem to pick and choose which phones they'll hype and forget about the others! Apparently the Centro must not be hot enough to plug.
    My point, though, was that they don't tend to pre-announce phones coming, which is why, IMO, there hasn't been buzz. If AT&T announces it this week, then they should start plugging it. Then we'll see if they consider the Centro worth plugging.
    by that rationale, the HTC Tilt is not hot enough/worth advertising...

I think since AT&T bothered to pick up the Centro, especially after hearing about Sprint's sucesss with the device, strongly suggests that AT&T believes in the selling strength of the Centro.

And as previously mentioned above, it was weeks after the "official" launch before Sprint started advertising the Centro...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    It's true they rarely pre-announce yet the original RAZR and the iPhone got all sorts of hype beforehand. So what kind of phone does it need to be to get this "special" attention? The hot new thing on the block, it seems. And I guess smartphones don't qualify.

Oh yeah, I haven't seen a Tilt ad yet on TV, although they are all over the internet. But they did plug all their red phones, including smartphones(except the red 680), for Valentine's Day all over TV and in retail flyers.

And so what if Sprint didn't advertise the Centro early, this is AT&T and they are a different company. They have to do what Sprint does?

P.S. Still no Centro on AT&T's site. *sigh*
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/18/2008 at 05:22 PM.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    My store in SC had 3 of them. I bought one. I don't care if anyone else gets one. They are styling!!! I think they have something in there back pocket for this.. They did some serious advertising for the 680, they will do its due diligence on this one.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Make no mistake, you walk into those stores and the iphone is their focus and they will see 10 phones for every one of the Centros. Doesn't make it a bad phone. Palm has missed their chance, at least for now. The iPhone is the "in" thing. Doesn't make it better that the Centro. It is what it is. AT&T are in bed w/ Apple and don't want that phone on any other vendor. So the iphone is where they are putting their eggs. I am just glad that as a customer they did the Centro. I didn't want to go to Sprint. I wouldn't have. I love the form factor of this phone AND the puke green keys. It's just business.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    P.S. Still no Centro on AT&T's site. *sigh*

AT&T website....... http://www.wireless.att.com/business...0003j3709u6741
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast