Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    i just spoke with my brother who works at an at&t on long island. he told me that they just got the white centro in today and will start selling it shortly. not sure what their price is though but he did tell me it was in fact the white version.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbattaglia02 View Post
    i just spoke with my brother who works at an at&t on long island. he told me that they just got the white centro in today and will start selling it shortly. not sure what their price is though but he did tell me it was in fact the white version.

Ok. I just got off the phone with my local AT&T rep. They MIGHT be able to order the Centro tomorrow, but if not, guaranteed on Monday. They will be $199 w/$99 rebate. Only white for now. Delivery about 2-3 business days thereafter.
    Denver rep told me next week. We will see
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    my mistake. $100 rebate-$99 final cost
    I have no idea why they chose "Halloween Green" for the keypad color...
    Last edited by helixtimestwo; 02/14/2008 at 05:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Coolio, so you just picked yours up?? Our do you work in a store?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    They have the Centro at the AT&T store on the upper west side of Manhattan. They let me fondle one, but they don't have a working model on display yet. As you folks start using them, I'd love to hear about any changes or improvements that have been made in the software since the 680 or even the Sprint Centro. Can someone report on the version numbers of the bundled software? How about Versamail?

I thought it had 3G. That is one of the things that made me think of getting one.
    Palm OS isn't capable of 3G.

BTW, it's on Premier right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    I thought it had 3G. That is one of the things that made me think of getting one.
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post

BTW, it's on Premier right now.
    so is the sprint CDMA centro not 3G?
    Sprint's EVDO is different from AT&T's 3G.

With AT&T's 3G, data continues when your phone rings and when you're on the phone. This is something the Palm OS is unable to accomplish.

With Sprint's EVDO, data stops when you make (or answer) the phone call.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Questions I'd like to see answered:

1. Whose voicedial software is on the GSM Centro. Is it a totally full, uncrippled, non-subscription service?

2. Any updates, however minor, from the bundled apps & PIM programs from the Sprint Centro to the GSM one? Are we 100% certain DTG 10 and PTunes Deluxe are still present? Which version is Google Mobile Maps?

3. Is the silver ridge on the backside the ONLY physical difference or are the keys on the GSM version indeed slightly more slanted as has been rumored in the past (both on TC and other sites)

4. Any changes from the phone app from the 680 to the GSM Centro?

5. How does Palm address Windows Vista functionality in the OOBE (out of box experience)? Is there still a piece of paper advising users to download the Palm Desktop 6.2 client for Vista? Does it specifically say Vista support is still in beta?

6. What version of Palm Desktop is on the bundled software CD?

7. Any noteworthy apps that are available to insall off of the software CD but not present in ROM?
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
    Well, technically EvDO is 3G, and the 700p/755/Sprint Centro have EvDO. They can't go beyond that (to EvDO Rev. A), and Palm's GSM devices on Palm OS (the 650, the 680, and now the Centro) can't go beyond EDGE, which is 2.5G.
    I stand corrected.

My comment was targeting GSM 3G, since we are talking about the AT&T Centro. I wasn't referring to the Sprint version (which is a great phone, BTW).

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Well, technically EvDO is 3G, and the 700p/755/Sprint Centro have EvDO. They can't go beyond that (to EvDO Rev. A), and Palm's GSM devices on Palm OS (the 650, the 680, and now the Centro) can't go beyond EDGE, which is 2.5G.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    I'm in the Chicagoland. My AT&T store, which I've dealt with exclusively for the last 4 years or more, is still telling me today that they can ORDER Centros today, but they will not have them for a couple days. They say that AT&T corporate wouldn't let them order them prior to today.

Why is it all of you are able to find these phones prior to my store even being able to order them?
  16. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    1) It may be a question of whether your store is an AT&T corporate store or a dealer. Some dealers display the AT&T name and keep the "authorized dealer/retailer" wording more subtle, some go with their own branding. In my area, there's a long list of both corporate stores and dealers in small print in AT&T's newspaper ads.

2) I think there's been a lot of competition among the various stores nationwide to order off the initial shipment--especially from the ones who have people coming in and asking about it (people like us!) or who see demand for Palm OS devices.
    I am waiting for black, of all colors why the white with puke green keys?
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    1) It may be a question of whether your store is an AT&T corporate store or a dealer. Some dealers display the AT&T name and keep the "authorized dealer/retailer" wording more subtle, some go with their own branding. In my area, there's a long list of both corporate stores and dealers in small print in AT&T's newspaper ads.

2) I think there's been a lot of competition among the various stores nationwide to order off the initial shipment--especially from the ones who have people coming in and asking about it (people like us!) or who see demand for Palm OS devices.

I'm pretty sure my store is only an "authorized dealer". I've been asking/demanding it for the last week, but to no avail. They're going to get one overnighted to them hopefully so I'll finally get one tomorrow. Q, you seem to be in the know......if I was to buy one from a different store and sign up for the new 2 year contract, I'd be giving them my residuals wouldn't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Questions I'd like to see answered:

1. Whose voicedial software is on the GSM Centro. Is it a totally full, uncrippled, non-subscription service?

2. Any updates, however minor, from the bundled apps & PIM programs from the Sprint Centro to the GSM one? Are we 100% certain DTG 10 and PTunes Deluxe are still present? Which version is Google Mobile Maps?

3. Is the silver ridge on the backside the ONLY physical difference or are the keys on the GSM version indeed slightly more slanted as has been rumored in the past (both on TC and other sites)

4. Any changes from the phone app from the 680 to the GSM Centro?

5. How does Palm address Windows Vista functionality in the OOBE (out of box experience)? Is there still a piece of paper advising users to download the Palm Desktop 6.2 client for Vista? Does it specifically say Vista support is still in beta?

6. What version of Palm Desktop is on the bundled software CD?

7. Any noteworthy apps that are available to insall off of the software CD but not present in ROM?
    Some Answers
    1. Full, non-subscription, and quite easy to set up IMO
    2. No noticable differences; and my review Sprint Centro went back to Palm a long time ago
    3. No slanted keys. No other real difference. Does feel a bit more like a rock though - aka, nice and solid.
    4. Just the addition of an icon for PTT. Other than that, I've not noticed one difference (good and bad).
    5. don't have vista, and didn't read the materials just yet.
    6. see #5
    7. see #5

If another doesn't beat me to it, I'll try an answer what I didn't when I do my Brighthand review.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast