Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I just got off the phone with VZW for the Nth time. Put a rant on that poor woman about how I have learned to hate my Treo (and the 10 other ones I have to deal with at the job). We started in 7/05 with 650s, I went to the 700p first and we did the "new every 2" 650>700p 4 months ago for the last of the 650s. Both phones were/are almost non-stop pains in the ****. Random reboots (just sitting there doing nothing), no 3rd party apps, constantly "thinking" of something else when you want it to do something. Lags so long that I have to restrain myself from throwing it out of the car window. My 700p froze up so bad that even the Almighty Hard Reset, VZW and Palm's cure-all, didnt work. (soft reset, system reset, warm reset, battery reset, vanilla reset, chocolate reset etc) Its just a paperweight now. VZW offered to replace it with any other smart (dumb) phone. But I need one that works asap. So, 700p or 755?
    Pushing the Boundaries of Disorganization
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Get an iPhone

if you want a less buggy touch screen iPod and web browser,

Go with the 755p if you want bugs and soft resets and hard resets and the phone possibly just completely freezing again.

Get a blackberry if you do not want a touch screen.
    If you have a look at the 755 forum you will find that the concensus is that it is much more reliable than the 700p.

It would be worth your while to try converting your 700p to a 755 as per this thread.

700p to 755 conversion (the easy way)

It will cost you nothing and most of those who have done it have very few problems.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    iPhone is out, did heavy research on it for the boss. From Information Week to wireless info.com to consumer reports just to name a few, it's a crap phone- "a great MP3 player mated with a lousy, still in progress phone"

A Blackberry is out because it needs the whole Enterprise Server thing for mail sync. Plus I have to stay with VZW and their wirelesssync, otherwise I would have to migrate all my users to Blackberry and thats out-cost, learning curve, general whining etc.

So Im kinda stuck with Treos, just want the stablest of the bunch. Besides, Im drowning in batteries, SDcards, headsets, chargers etc for the Treo. Of course theres the whole 1600/1800/2400/3200 mAh and size thing with the batteries if I go with the 755. And so much for using standard SDcards too.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I have used a multitude of Palm's devices and I will say that barring the 650 for stabilty, The 755 is the next best device. I left the 700 because of stability, and only tried the 755 because the wife's 650's screen gave out and "just wanted another Treo." I bit the bullet and went with it and the 755 has been solid! (knock on wood, avoid walking under ladders) We both use multiple applications and IMAP email. I do notice a slight lag when the email is polling, but really that is it. I have had two resets I can't explain, but that is it.

In regards to the battery and cards, you will need a much larger battery if you can't charge the phone at least once during the day if you have a lot mail managed through the Treo. The cards you can pick up on buy dig or ebay cheap.

With all the old accessories, buy them at pennies on the dollar from the boss, list them on ebay and pay yourself a little spring bonus.

Good luck. Remember that the only way to reset the 755p is to pull the battery though....
    Last edited by theecigarman; 02/14/2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Sounds good, will it work on a VZW Treo or just Cingular? Or does it matter? And will standard SDcards not work after the conversion?
    Last edited by groupsix; 02/14/2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: forgot last question
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    The SD Card on the 755 is actually a mini sd. The 700 and earlier used full size SDcards. The 755 is actually only available on Verizon or Sprint. There is no GSM.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    The SD Card on the 755 is actually a mini sd. The 700 and earlier used full size SDcards. The 755 is actually only available on Verizon or Sprint. There is no GSM.
    And Alltel.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    OK, lemme see if I got this straight. When the 700p comes out of the cacoon, it will be a 755, and as 755s do, it will need a mini SDcard. Verizon or Sprint only. Will it be as battery hungry as the real 755?
    ^Your 700P hardware will stay the same so will use regular SD. I'm not sure about the specifics of the 700 to 755 conversion (I believe it just updates the ROM and not firmware), but make sure you have the update compatible with your carrier. Battery usage should be the same if not better when you do the conversion. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groupsix View Post
    OK, lemme see if I got this straight. When the 700p comes out of the cacoon, it will be a 755, and as 755s do, it will need a mini SDcard. Verizon or Sprint only. Will it be as battery hungry as the real 755?
    I believe that the 755p update is only available for the Sprint versions right now. At least the hack that makes is applicable to the 700p is only for Sprint.

Anecdotal returns say that battery life on an updated 700p is much improved.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groupsix View Post
    I see, you are talking about doing the coversion with the ROM update.
    It will still take the sd card, all accessories will work, and your 700's will be more stable I believe. I think the bluetooth is the only item that doesn't work with the conversion of the ROM. In regards to Battery, They will work, and they should have the same life as before.

I thought you were ditching the 700p hand held and going to upgrade or buy new 755p's. sorry for the confusion
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I thought you were ditching the 700p hand held and going to upgrade or buy new 755p's. sorry for the confusion
    No confusion on your part, I am thinking of ditching the 700p for the 755p. Verizon said they would just trade me a new 755p for my doorstop, ah, I mean 700p. I dont know how many of our 700p's they will do that for, so the 700p>755p conversion is worth considering. But there seems to be some confusion in this thread as to:

1) Whether the conversion will work on, or is specifically written for, the Verizon 700p?

2)Will standard SDcards work on the converted Treo or will it require a mini SDcard?

In the event of a common since you fried your 700p, we'll replace it, just drop the old one in the pre-paid mailer that comes with the new one , how does Verizon feel when a 700p comes back to them transformed into a 755p? And will I go back in time if I mess up the conversion?
    Last edited by groupsix; 02/14/2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: misuse of quote function
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    It seems to me that they are swapping out the treo and upgrading it to the 755. The new 755 will require the mini sd card. I would ask them to throw one in......

I have not played with the ROM conversion that updates the 700 OS to a 755 OS so I can't help you there.

I say, go for the trade up..... New phone, much more reliable. Heck I have worked my 755p hard for the last week and am really impressed with it's stability. I tried to nurse the 700 for 6 months, gave up in frustration and started jumping around. My wife even said that the 755 has really changed me to a happier man in the last week.....(she was joking, I think!!)
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    Treo 755p requires micro sd (sdhc works) with a mini sd adapter, or mini sd cards.

Regular sd cards won't fit.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post
    And Alltel.
    Sorry,
    Oh yeah, ALLTELL too.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Treo 755p requires micro sd (sdhc works) with a mini sd adapter, or mini sd cards.

Regular sd cards won't fit.
    And I would do exactly that, use a microSD card with an adapter on your 755. I am sitting on a new, never used 4gb miniSD that I bought for my 755, and now have to use it with an adapter for my camera. The microSD is being used by many new phones, including Palm, so you have much more choices to utilize it should you change phones in the future.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Also there is the factor that micro sd cards are being upgraded in sizes that mini sd is not.