Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I finally figured out how to fix many of the highlighting problems on Treos with FontSmoother. (Note: If you are still having problems, changing the theme may help; I know Basic works, and so do most, though not all, others.)

FontSmoother lets you replace the Palm fonts (on hi-res OS 5 devices) in almost all applications with nice, smooth fonts. Lots of fonts are included, and you can also create your own fonts from Windows TrueType fonts (assuming the ttf font's license permits this).

Version 2.20 improves highlighting on Treos (a big thank you to testers!) and allows fonts to be stored on a card. As always, upgrades are free: just turn off the old version, and install the new trial on top of it.

Download from:

http://zlthemes.com/Programs.php
    http://mobihand.com/product.asp?id=5849&n=FontSmoother

(I've submitted updates to other sites, but not all of them have gone through yet.)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...20x320anim.gif
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    How to and where are the fonts stored on the card. Downloaded 2.20 yesterday and don't find a hint in documentation nor in the application.
    From Dr. Pruss himself, as shared on 1src.

1. Make sure you're in "FontSmoother manages" mode.
    2. Fonts in \PALM\Launcher or \PALM\Programs\FontSmoother should work.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I just posted 2.25. The main update is that it auto-inserts euro character into smooth fonts when the fonts are missing it. European users may like that, since some of the fonts FS included (e.g., Utopia) were pre-euro.
    I'm confused on this font smoother - does this "just" change the default font or can you mix different fonts in say an email?

Thanks!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    It changes the default font for each app.
    I kinda played around with this yesterday. Could someone post some screen shots of some different apps and the name of the font you are using for them, especially in Datebk6. When I tried using it for "Datebk6", it made the left-hand column (where the time is) not aligned properly. Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Delpita View Post
    I kinda played around with this yesterday. Could someone post some screen shots of some different apps and the name of the font you are using for them, especially in Datebk6. When I tried using it for "Datebk6", it made the left-hand column (where the time is) not aligned properly. Am I missing something?
    YOU don't have FontSmoother?!?! And I thought you were a Palm user!
    I didn't see much use for it until I installed it on my TX many moons ago and there's been no turning back since.

As for distorting your screen I'm not sure why that happened or what font you're using, but I'll attach some screen shots in just a bit. Gotta take some personal stuff off of my screen, as I don't know how to blurr.

But nevertheless, it makes my screen look much better to me and less stressful on my eyes. It's so customizable, you can chose to set all apps to the same font type and size or you can select which you want to leave the default fonts on and customize the others. You can have each app use a different font and size...whatever you want. Brilliant!

Give me one sec and I'll post some pics. I took one in Takephone and one in Datebk6. I didn't take one of my Today screen, since your concern was with the times being skewed.

brb
    Ok. Both of these shots use Formal 18AA. Compare them to your default fonts in Takephone an Datebk6.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aye/Datebk.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Takephone.jpg

Ok, this shot of eReader is using AletheSerif22px aaker. The book is Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth...if anyone is interested. A very good read.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ye/eReader.jpg
    Last edited by Ohappydaye; 03/26/2008 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post
    YOU don't have FontSmoother?!?! And I thought you were a Palm user!.......
    I . . . . I . . . I . . . <hangs head in shame>..........

Nope, never tried FontSmoother before. And Thanks OHD! I knew I could count on you for some screenshots! Sorry if I made you have to re-arrange your schedule so it wouldn't appear for all eyes to see.

In your DateBk, it looks like the time on the left is just slightly out of alignment. That's what it was doing for me. I was thinking maybe it was because of my icons. I guess I need to play around a little bit more with it. I briefly read through FontSmoother, and it looks like I can 'create' my own fonts, or at least get some from Windows. So, I think I'll play around a bit more with the different fonts to see what works best for me. It's nice to know that the fonts can be stored on the card too!
    Delpita,

There are a number of free font sets out there that are compatible with Font Smoother too. Only thing to be careful of is that they do have a large memory footprint.
    I moved my fonts to the card and saved a lot of memory.
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Delpita,

There are a number of free font sets out there that are compatible with Font Smoother too. Only thing to be careful of is that they do have a large memory footprint.
    Thanks Treo Musketeers! Can you point me in the right direction? I LOVE Comic Sans, do you know if that one is available?
    Thanks Treo Musketeers! Can you point me in the right direction? I LOVE Comic Sans, do you know if that one is available?
    Of course, here ya go.

And yes, you can use this to create your own.

There are more resources out there for fonts, I'll find more for you. I've had it for so long now that I don't remember where exactly I got them from, but I'll google them it for ya. I've got a boat load of 'em!
    Thanks OHD! Once again, to my rescue! Maybe I oughtta just move in with you so it's easier to ask you questions, LOL!

Don't spend a whole lot of time searching. If something pops in your head, just post it then.
    No need to search too hard OHD............ just looked, and with FontSmoother, there's "Quick Make Font" that I can create fonts.
    LOL No problem. Here are some more. Also, keep in mind when selecting your fonts (once installed on the device) that the size of your font will impact the layout of the screen just as you noticed before. So sometimes I've had to adjust the size of the font (as most are offered in various sizes) to ensure that all of the words,etc are displaying as they should.

Also, here's a nice review that hc did a little while back. While changes, of course, have been made since then (ex. now you can store fonts on your card, etc) this is a very nice snapshot.
    Okee dokee............ off to do some reading........and figuring out........ and playing........errrrrr, I mean testing.........
    Okee dokee............ off to do some reading........and figuring out........ and playing........errrrrr, I mean testing.........
    Have fun, it's definitely a must have for me on any Palm device that I own.
    Am I understanding this correctly.......... you can have ALOT of fonts on your card (to use as storage and safe keeping), but when you decide you want to use a particular one, you have to move it to RAM?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast