Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First, thank you to the forum creators and all the members who post here. I have learned so much and have been helped many times.

I got a Sprint 755p last week, my fourth treo (300 purchased the week it came out, 600, 650).

I know I need a mini SD card. I purchased a 2 GB mini sd (not SDHC) card from Microcenter today. My Treo recognizes it, but my Dell Precision M90 notebook with XP Pro does not. The mini SD card came with an adapter and I used that to insert the mini SD into the regular size SD slot in my notebook.

I've read many of the threads here about mini SD card, SDHC, 4 GB etc. So I know many of you are using these cards with no problem.

What do I need to do? Should I get an external USB card reader that supports mini SD? I'm willing to do that, especially if I can then use a larger 4GB card, but I was hoping my build in card reader would work with the mini SD.

Do I need to install the two XP Pro fixes from the Microsoft support site? I've read about KB 923293 and 934428 but I thought they were for SDHC support and I bought a regular mini SD card.

Or could I just have a bad card from Microcenter?

Thanks for your help.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    If you have an adapter any mini sd card will work

make sure you are putting the mini sd card in the adapter the correct side facing up and that it is all the way into the adapter.
    If what Csmelosky's suggestion doesn't work, I would recommend getting a card reader (they sell from $7.50 to $15). There is obviously nothing wrong with your card if your Treo recognizes it. Another option is to buy one of the two software apps that turns your card into a USB device (Softick Card Export and Card Reader). I use the second one and think it was worth every penny. Also helps to find lost files and you don't have to take your card out of your phone to use it. Just hook up the hotsync cable and then activate Card Reader and you're golden.
    I use a multi-card reader that reads both SD and miniSD cards; they each have their own slot. I tried that SD adaptor that came with my mini but sometimes it had no joy. So this multi-card reader is perfect.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your replies.

I did insert the mini SD card face up -- it only fits into the adapter one way. I also made sure to push it in all the way, and I tried a few times.

I'll try again tomorrow just to be sure before I return it.
  6.    #6  
    Follow up: I tried the mini SD card and its adapter in my notebook again -- this time Windows found new hardware, but I had to reboot to complete the process. After rebooting, Windows now saw the mini SD card and I copied three files to the card. Then I used the Safely Remove Hardware feature and moved the card into my Treo. Docs to Go opened the files -- so far so good.

Next, I reinsert the adapter with the card into my computer and nothing happens. I try this several times.

I'm going to get an external card reader. Not as convenient as the built in card reader, but I need something that works all the time.

Thanks for your help.
    I use the mini SD with the adapter with my Thinkpads sans issues.
    What make notebook are you using?

BB
    Unfortunately, those adapters aren't always as reliable as reading the data off the primary card. I think getting a card reader that will read a mini SD will solve your problems.
    I would look into one of the Sandisk MobileMate SD+ readers. It is a little bit bigger than a flash drive and will take any type of SD media directly into the reader. Plus it will do SDHC if you ever decide to get a bigger card. You can find them for about $15-20.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerboy13 View Post
    I would look into one of the Sandisk MobileMate SD+ readers. It is a little bit bigger than a flash drive and will take any type of SD media directly into the reader. Plus it will do SDHC if you ever decide to get a bigger card. You can find them for about $15-20.
    this is the exact card reader I use and it is awesome; has slots for SD, miniSD and microSD. I got it for $12 at Bestbuy.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    I had a similar problem with my home PC and it's built in multi-card reader. Luckily, I have an HP All-in-One devive with it's own card reader and it works fine through that.
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    Is your laptop a Gateway? If so the problem is when you use the icon on the bottom right that says "Safely Remove Hardware" the computer will stop recognizing that SD reader port until you reboot.
    So far, I don't know of a work around or update to fix that problem. Also, the same problem may happen on other brands.
    I just hot swap the card on both of my gateways and I don't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Frank View Post
    Follow up: I tried the mini SD card and its adapter in my notebook again -- this time Windows found new hardware, but I had to reboot to complete the process. After rebooting, Windows now saw the mini SD card and I copied three files to the card. Then I used the Safely Remove Hardware feature and moved the card into my Treo. Docs to Go opened the files -- so far so good.

Next, I reinsert the adapter with the card into my computer and nothing happens. I try this several times.

I'm going to get an external card reader. Not as convenient as the built in card reader, but I need something that works all the time.

Thanks for your help.
    There *might* be a work-around: try assigning a drive letter to the card. Then each time you insert it, the computer should find it and give it the same drive letter. It works with my portable drive.

If this does not work, then rebooting will be necessary.

You may have the same problem with a card reader unless you leave it always on the computer.

BB
    right, my Thinkpad has assigned drive E to removable external storage drives, no matter if it is my thumb drive or my SD card reader. I use that Safely Remove Hardware button and when I re-insert a drive back into the USB, it immediately opens up the explorer window for it. I only put my Thinkpad into sleep mode and only reboot my computer once a month, if that.
    Last edited by dollface; 02/14/2008 at 11:23 AM.
    But do not let the computer pick the drive letter each time; you have to make a permanent assignment. It is a little tricky: control panel>Administrative Tools>Disk Management.

Good luck!

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Frank View Post

Thanks for your help.

What do you mean you used the Safely Remove Hardware feature? If you uninstalled the sd drivers windows XP installed in order for it to see the card then that might be the reason its not seeing it anymore. SD cards are hotswappable so you can insert it and remove it anytime with out any problems as long as your not writting to it.
    Safely Remove just ensures you are not writing to it and there is no window using its (looking at) its files. A good practice.

BB
    Last edited by blazorboy; 02/14/2008 at 12:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Safely Remove just ensures you are not writing to it and there is no window using its (looking at) its files. A good practice.

BB
    I agree.
    Here is a screen shot from what it says in my laptop manual ( It says this in both of my new / newer laptop manuals )

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/braxx/Remove.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by braxx View Post
    Here is a screen shot from what it says in my laptop manual ( It says this in both of my new / newer laptop manuals )

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/braxx/Remove.jpg

What make is your notebook?

Tx,

BB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast