Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I'm trying to decide on what software option I want to get. Each has advantages & disadvantages, including cost & features.
    Right now I'm trying to decide mainly between Garmin & Telenav. Based on a 1 yr life of maps, Garmin is slightly cheaper if found on sale ($85) to TeleNav's $99. Each has traffic included.

So I made this crude looking chart to try to help, anyone want to eloborate on this, add/subtract info that's missing/wrong, let me know I'll update it.
    http://starlinkdss.com/pdagps.jpg
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Awesome. Whats the * mean? It looks like it means Yes, but never assume

I don't need Traffic. Do I still need to pay a monthly fee for all of these?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  3.    #3  
    Sorry yes * is yes, either confirmed or assumed. I have not used either, just trying to piect togather info from respective sites and what i read in these forums.

From what I gather Garmin & Telenav have free traffic, only TomTom charges extra for this, and I haven't been able to determin any traffic info for SA, most likely not an option (aside from you doing the work yourself say on traffic.com)

Oh I've been told (can't confirm) Garmin & Telenav speak street names, so Turn left on maple vs turn in 100 feet.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I use TomTom6 on my Treo 755p and it does give voice directions. Also TomTom5 does.

Cheers.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, just voice, or speak street names?
    I'll update my chart.
    TT6 does not speak street names. Neither did TT5.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 08HybridOK View Post
    ...Oh I've been told (can't confirm) Garmin & Telenav speak street names, so Turn left on maple vs turn in 100 feet.
    You had me excited and ready to switch over to Garmin, but according to the product pages on Garmin's webite, their product does not speak the street names, just directions.

I'm using TT6 on my 755P. I tried Telenav on their 30 day trial, but read too many stories about it not being able to connect when it is needed most, so decided to go with TomTom instead. I actually didn't realize Garmin had a software only product -- it looks like maybe it came out after I bought TT6. My only gripe about TomTom is that it has seemed to be geared much more toward Europe and other countries. (Makes sense though -- they are based in Amersterdam while Garmin is in Kansas.) I'd rather have more US, so I very well may look into "upgrading" to Garmin soon anyway.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    SA 2008 does not speak street names
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JrrInTN View Post
    You had me excited and ready to switch over to Garmin, but according to the product pages on Garmin's webite, their product does not speak the street names, just directions.

I'm using TT6 on my 755P. I tried Telenav on their 30 day trial, but read too many stories about it not being able to connect when it is needed most, so decided to go with TomTom instead. I actually didn't realize Garmin had a software only product -- it looks like maybe it came out after I bought TT6. My only gripe about TomTom is that it has seemed to be geared much more toward Europe and other countries. (Makes sense though -- they are based in Amersterdam while Garmin is in Kansas.) I'd rather have more US, so I very well may look into "upgrading" to Garmin soon anyway.
    I can't confirm, just using info from a post on mytreo that said Garmin/Telenav speak names. I also read on Gamin's site Voice prompt's, even the manual says voice prompts, to me that means turn right 100', not turn right on Maple.

I was going to just use telenave as needed; but I decided to buy the Garmin anyway, the site I found the best price on had something else i also needed, so i just did it!
    Do any of these have a "walking mode" routing? I have a Garmin GPS I use in my car and on the bike, but for some vacations, I'd like something to let me know where I am when I'm walking around, and how to get somewhere, not really worrying about if a street is one way, or if a car isn't supposed to turn left, etc.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700 View Post
    Do any of these have a "walking mode" routing? I have a Garmin GPS I use in my car and on the bike, but for some vacations, I'd like something to let me know where I am when I'm walking around, and how to get somewhere, not really worrying about if a street is one way, or if a car isn't supposed to turn left, etc.
    I've read that somewhere about a review, maybe it was for the TomTom?

I'm hoping the Garmin can do that, as I too have a 2720 for the car, I just wanted something that I have with me all the time in my own city, and something mobile when I take that once a yr trip to a new city.

Also to note: The chart, this is the main features I'm looking for, they all have so many features in common I didn't take time to list each one.
    My interpretation of Telenav's website is that:
    (1) The PalmOS version is currently 5.0
    http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/devices/sprint.html

(2) There is no Traffic supported with version 5.0, but rather it begins with version 5.1
    http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/feature-matrix.html

OTOH, one can hope that Telenav will upgrade their PalmOS software to include traffic.
    TT6 does route for walking and biking. The modes are: Fastest route, shortest route, walking route, bicycle route, avoid freeways, limited speed.

I just hope they are better than the fastest route, that is the one I use and I'm not impressed.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    My interpretation of Telenav's website is that:
    (1) The PalmOS version is currently 5.0
    http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/devices/sprint.html

(2) There is no Traffic supported with version 5.0, but rather it begins with version 5.1
    http://www.telenav.com/products/tn/feature-matrix.html

OTOH, one can hope that Telenav will upgrade their PalmOS software to include traffic.
    It took me a few min to figure out what you meant. (sorry 2am). but I finally see the 1st chart says Palm OS phones (755p included) run version 5.0, but on the matrix under WM/palm it just lists all the versions & features. I never relized there were different versions for differnt platforms. duh. I get it now. I'll update again soon.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I can't confirm, just using info from a post on mytreo that said Garmin/Telenav speak names. I also read on Gamin's site Voice prompt's, even the manual says voice prompts, to me that means turn right 100', not turn right on Maple.

I was going to just use telenave as needed; but I decided to buy the Garmin anyway, the site I found the best price on had something else i also needed, so i just did it!
    Please! Don't tell us you found best price, and then not spill what it was, or where you got it!

Which product, specifically?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  16.    #16  
    It was $75 + sh from Amazon / ANTOnline & $85 w/free shipping at Buy.com (Possible google $10 for "new" accounts, but my 3rd or 4th new account got figured out )
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    It was $75 + sh from Amazon / ANTOnline & $85 w/free shipping at Buy.com (Possible google $10 for "new" accounts, but my 3rd or 4th new account got figured out )
    Thanks Hybrid! Which product exactly? Theres like 200+ Garmin software products on Amazon! I don't want to get the wrong thing!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    Thanks Hybrid! Which product exactly? Theres like 200+ Garmin software products on Amazon! I don't want to get the wrong thing!
    I just googled the Garmin # 010-11034-00 and had some hits. Humm now trying to go back to my links it's gone When I check my order status it says not available So now I don't know what! Buy.com has it listed as like $83 now, but out of stock.
    I went to ANTonline directly instead of through amazon, shipping came out a tad cheapper.

I did decided to try Telenav for the free 30day trial, so far sucks. I tried to route to my nearest Wally world, been there at least 3 years at the current location. not found. sitting in the parking lot, just shows me in a field!
    So I try to route my way back home (I saved the spot from my house before I left) and couldn't calculate route (it's also in a field, several hundred feet from the main road). But was able to manually enter my street address and get directions, it does say street names, if you can understand her. But the lack of current store info scares me. I want this for when i travel and I don't know where things are, it'd have me go 20mi away to get to a differet location instead of a place that's only 5 mi away

interstingly enough can'y find a 3yr old wal-mart, but a 6mo old road works just fine! go figure. It can find blockbuster in walmarts parking lot too! I tried both w/ & wo the -, supercenter, etc... And this walmart is just a new location, there had been a walmart a mile down the road since Sam himself was a baby (well ok not that long, but you get the picture)

[edit] Ok I finally found it! right were one expects to find it, Wal-mart Portrait Studio! you know like 6 pages of wal-marts later.

Hopefully garmin will be better, if I ever get it.
    Last edited by 08HybridOK; 02/15/2008 at 01:33 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Well got a reply from ANTOnline. apparently it's out of stock and they are refunding my order! Not even a hold for back order Now since I ordered 2 things, I still don't know if my entire order was cancelled or just 1/2 it.

So now to re-find it. Since Garmin's site also says 2week+ wait, maybe they are planning a new release?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Ok, based on what I've been able to figure out, I'm thinking that my best bet will be to get Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 and GARMIN 010-11034-00 Mobile XT Navigation for Smarphones for my Sprint Centro. Anyone have any better ideas or reasons to change my choices? This whole GPS thing seems a bit like a crap shoot.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast