Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    That's my plan, if/when I can find the Garmin software. One thing I've seen conflicting is 1GB & 2GB cards. Not sure if some sites are just putting up wrong info, old onfo, or if there are 2 different sizes available? According to Garmin's site it's supposed to be a 2G card #010-11034-00. But the other sites use the same # and say 1G, eg newegg, & others.

I once again shot an e-mail to Garmin asking if the 2week delay is due to a new version getting ready to be release, will be suprised if I get an answer.
    Thought I had a bargain on ebay, until they chaned the listing from the SD cards to a CD Another eBay listing seems quite fishy! and at the BIN price I'll pay $5 or so more and get from a reputable store.

I also base some purchases off ebay. If there's quite a few listings for used items, it must not be worth getting. I'm sure there's exceptions, but it's hard to find garmin software but several TT's listed. just saying.

I've been using the keychain GPS for a few weeks now, for what I can anyway (coto gps, where am I?, earthcomber & lastly trial Telenav) and love it. I wanted it because it's on my keychain, easy to transport & not leave at home.
    Last edited by 08HybridOK; 02/19/2008 at 05:03 PM.
    Garmin Mobile XT does not speak street names.
    Quote Originally Posted by 08HybridOK View Post
    That's my plan, if/when I can find the Garmin software. One thing I've seen conflicting is 1GB & 2GB cards. Not sure if some sites are just putting up wrong info, old onfo, or if there are 2 different sizes available? According to Garmin's site it's supposed to be a 2G card #010-11034-00. But the other sites use the same # and say 1G, eg newegg, & others.
    For what it's worth, my new Garmin Mobile XT came on a 2GB card
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoHappy View Post
    For what it's worth, my new Garmin Mobile XT came on a 2GB card
    It's my understanding, from reading different blogs, that the Garmin software *can* be moved to a different card, e.g., 4GB.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    It's my understanding, from reading different blogs, that the Garmin software *can* be moved to a different card, e.g., 4GB.
    This is somethiung you should ask directly to Garmin. As I understand, Mobile XT is locked to the original SD Card unless you want to use it with a Garmin bluetooth receiver.
  6.    #26  
    That's my understanfing from reading. The original software was 'unlocked' to the device, but locked to a Garmin GPS unit. Newer software is locked to a SD card, but not the GPS unit.
    I have read where the software can be moved to larger cards as a 'backup' etc whatever you call it, it's just not a supported feature. If I get it I might try to move it to my 4G card, but supposedly there is 700Mish free on the card, which should be enough for what I have on there now.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Please read this. It steps you through how to move it to another card. I've heard that there are other postings out there specific to Treo's, as well, but they're basically the same instructions.

UPDATE: I've bitten the bullet and ordered both the software, and the gps device mentioned earlier. Should be here next Monday! (fingers crossed)
    Last edited by Micael; 02/20/2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Update information
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    The good part about buying the Garmin Mobile XT with a Garmin BT GPS receiver (as opposed to buying just the SD card with the maps/software, and using a non-Garmin GPS receiver) is that with the former approach, you can use your hardware and software with as many Palm, Pocket PC and Windows laptop devices as you want. You can even use a Mac laptop if you have Parallels to run nRoute, the Windows analog to Mobile XT. This multi-platform approach is possible when your hardware key is the BT GPS receiver rather than the SD card.

It's a bit odd that the cost of Mobile XT maps/software+ Garmin BT receiver (street price about $130) is not much more than just the maps/software alone.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    The good part about buying the Garmin Mobile XT with a Garmin BT GPS receiver (as opposed to buying just the SD card with the maps/software, and using a non-Garmin GPS receiver) is that with the former approach, you can use your hardware and software with as many Palm, Pocket PC and Windows laptop devices as you want. You can even use a Mac laptop if you have Parallels to run nRoute, the Windows analog to Mobile XT. This multi-platform approach is possible when your hardware key is the BT GPS receiver rather than the SD card.

It's a bit odd that the cost of Mobile XT maps/software+ Garmin BT receiver (street price about $130) is not much more than just the maps/software alone.
    But for me I want to not have to think about taking the gps unit w/ me. I'm very forgetful and will either leave it at home, does me no good, or leave it in the car and it'll be dead. So the keychain for me is best, all I have to do is remember to charge it once in a while. It does suck to know for only $30-40 more you can have a BT GPS also, but I'm paying for convience.

Michael where did you finally order from? In Stock I guess? I decided to look areound again today and best I come up with is $80-90, but most still say out of stock or 2weeks wait...
  10.    #30  
    Well I did it too. Bought from someplace on Amazon for like $90, then 4 hrs later get a $50 coupon from Buy.com if I get some new fangeled card of theirs! ugh, everytime I buy something lately it goes on sale right after! granted this isn't a sale, but a promo for a card, but still. And I all ready got a shiped e-mail from the Amazon store...

And now ANTOnline via Amazon is listing it instock again for $75, errggghhh agrivating (Who knows if they will actually ship tho!!!0
    Last edited by 08HybridOK; 02/24/2008 at 12:32 AM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    But for me I want to not have to think about taking the gps unit w/ me. I'm very forgetful and will either leave it at home, does me no good, or leave it in the car and it'll be dead. So the keychain for me is best, all I have to do is remember to charge it once in a while. It does suck to know for only $30-40 more you can have a BT GPS also, but I'm paying for convience.
    Thats why I got the Keychain GPS 2000. It got here in 2 days! Its really small and clips right on to your keys.

Michael where did you finally order from? In Stock I guess? I decided to look areound again today and best I come up with is $80-90, but most still say out of stock or 2weeks wait...
    I ordered the Keychain GPS from Treocentral on Wednesday afternoon, shipped ground, and I had it by Saturday afternoon! Great job guys! I bought Garmin XT from TigerGPS.com. It ships today... a bit slower, but I should see it by Wednesday or Thursday, I hope.

Wonder if there's some freeware GPS worth downloading and playing with, meanwhile.... hrm...
  12.    #32  
    Wonder if there's some freeware GPS worth downloading and playing with, meanwhile.... hrm...
    Not really for Palm OS. Earthcomber, And where am I + Google Maps is all I could find. CotoGPS (? i think that's right) and get a lock and give you technical info, some usefule like speed, altitude, direction. I just used this to see how accurate the speedo in my old falcon is, +/- 5mph it seems.
  13.    #33  
    Please read this. It steps you through how to move it to another card. I've heard that there are other postings out there specific to Treo's, as well, but they're basically the same instructions.

UPDATE: I've bitten the bullet and ordered both the software, and the gps device mentioned earlier. Should be here next Monday! (fingers crossed)

Holy ____! I got mine today! Ordered Fri, got it Mon! That's fast! even says shipped from CA to OK via UPS Ground, that's supposed to me a 3day journey.

Anyway, now to this procedure, We don't have ActiSync (Don;t think so any way) We have HotSync, or card reader. Should we use those instead?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Gratz! you have both? software and gps? damn TigerGPS. They said it was in stock on their website, but it wasn't. supposedly sending it out to me today. Bleh.
  15.    #35  
    I bought the GPS weeks ago, a few days after getting the Treo, hoping I could find some free software like it has on the info page a treocentral or mytreo or whereever i got it. Of course I did my homework after the sale to find all the software is not Palm OS

Now that I have it, the wife has the phone and may not be home before I go to work, so won't be able to play w/it until tomorrow

PS micro really is Micro! I'm afraid a sneeze around that chip will blow it into next week!

Also hope I can move the info to my 4G SDHC card so I only have to take 1 w/me.
  16.    #36  
    So far I like it, but of course that's a given w/ my many years of Garmin portable units.

Comparing to TelNav. I can understand the Garmin voice, altho street names are not spoken. I cuold easily find my local Wally when TelNav couldn't, but the new road near my house is in telnav, but not Garmin.
    I think Gas prices will be more accurate, but can't say. And Traffic seems to work, altho I have none in my part of the city.

Next step, aside from trying to migrate to my 2G card, is to see if I can use my desktop City Nav software to transfer POI's, locations, favoites, waypoints etc to the XT software, as well as my 2720 unit. Not thinking it will be successful tho.

PS I was able to use my 4G SDHC card. Just follow the dir carefully, and I used Cardreader to copy my files and edit the files.
    Last edited by 08HybridOK; 02/26/2008 at 03:32 AM.
  17.    #37  
    OK, played with Garmin a little bit so far, not much. I do like it, easier to find places than TelNav. Sadly the new road near me not yet updated, but that's not a major issue, yet.

Now I'd like to be able to transfer data from my desktop Mapsource to my handheld GMTX. Both have CN NT 2008 maps. I can easily transfer info to my Gamin 2720, but when the Treo is pluged in via USB it doesn't not show up as a "device" on the mapsource. If I load cardreader then it shows the card as a device, but I "transfer" stuff to it, and it's no where to be found in GMXT.

Any help on this subject?

I also get perodic white screens while using GMXT, is this from the software, or should I do another hard reset and see if it continues?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Got my Mobile XT software, installed it, and then moved it successfully to a 4gb card. Works flawlessly with my Freedom Keychain 2000 GPS. I am totally impressed and pleased. Yes, it doesn't say street names, but it displays them clearly in large print. Once I get my centro mounted, it will be close to eye level (looking for a good vent mount for my Toyota Rav 4, if anyone knows of one thats not too expensive).

Now if I can just find some decent software for geocaching with my bluetooth gps....
  19.    #39  
    Drats! Once again my choice to pick POS over WM sucks!

GMXT can not recieve waypoints or routes from the desktop Mapsource

Goodluck on Geocaching, I saw on Garmin the full list of supported devices, and it was basicly everything except PDA's.

You probably all ready noticed, but if you want to actually quit GMXT, you need to click exit, just changing apps or going home, it's still running in the background.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Drats! Once again my choice to pick POS over WM sucks!

GMXT can not recieve waypoints or routes from the desktop Mapsource

Goodluck on Geocaching, I saw on Garmin the full list of supported devices, and it was basicly everything except PDA's.

You probably all ready noticed, but if you want to actually quit GMXT, you need to click exit, just changing apps or going home, it's still running in the background.
    LOL! I'm such a GPS noob. I don't even know what GMXT is an what I can do with it. I assumed it had something to do with the unit's method for gaining position data.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast