Hello All
    I got my GF a SERO plan and a Centro for Xmas for a sweet deal..and after seeing how well the Centro/Palm OS worked, and getting sick of my Razr...I bought myself one too, and so far, very impressed. (First smartphone)

Anyway, the first thing that we'd like to know is if there is anyway to get the contacts list to sort by first name? Is there an app or something for this?

Secondly, I am still learning and just joined, still checking out the website, so I apologize if I missed a FAQ or sticky post, but do all apps created for the Palm OS run on the Centro? Does the device that its on matter?

And lastly, what do you guys consider the 'must have' apps? I'd like to get connected to my company's email, as well as be able to sync up at work and at home...but I don't use outlook at home, so Thunderbird maybe? The only thing I've really installed on my own was Sprint's email app, which seems to be pretty decent, as I don't know that its a true push, but it does regularly check my Yahoo and Gmail accts, which I like.

Anyway, sorry for the rambles, and thanks in advance for your time!
    Koil
    Sorting by first name: Not possible with stock Contacts program. However, start typing a first name and it will immediately filter out anything that doesn't match--this is much quicker than scrolling through a sorted list.

PalmOS apps: all should run on the Centro unless very old.

Must-have apps: depends on your needs. I rely heavily on SplashID (encrypted database for passwords etc) and SmartList (tabular database for inventories, reference info, grocery list, etc). PocketQuicken is useful if you have the desktop version. Google Maps of course, with MyLocation add-on.

With PalmOS, it's very difficult to think of an app that hasn't already been written. It's not a "smart phone" or a glorified MP3 player, it's a second brain that fits in your pocket. Use it to the utmost.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    PalmOS apps: all should run on the Centro unless very old.
    It's worth noting, though, that some apps have had to be updated to be compatible, so check for the latest version before loading.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    "Must-have apps: depends on your needs. I rely heavily on SplashID (encrypted database for passwords etc) and SmartList (tabular database for inventories, reference info, grocery list, etc). PocketQuicken is useful if you have the desktop version. Google Maps of course, with MyLocation add-on."

So, does the MyLocation work with the Centro's Google Maps? How do you access it. I haven't been able to 1)find out if it works, or 2) find out how to access it
    My location does not work currently with the Centro. There is some debate as to whether the Centro has the ability to use it later one, when a ROM update is released. But when or if that will happen is anyone's guess.
    For the contacts sort options... seriously I don't understand why Palm can't put First Name, Last Name as one of the choices.
    It was like that in older devices.
    Sigh.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Why do you need it sorted if you can just start typing the name to dial?
    just typing in the first letter of the first name will dramatically cut down the list to soemthing easily scrollable. If you get 2 or 3 letters in there, you usually don't even have to scroll. First letter of first name and two letters of last name is usually good enought to limit it to one name (granted my contact list is only at about 300 people.)

If the contacts are all personal, just move everybody's name to the company field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    My location does not work currently with the Centro. There is some debate as to whether the Centro has the ability to use it later one, when a ROM update is released. But when or if that will happen is anyone's guess.

Hmmm,

in a way it does DOES on my GSM Centro - at least it's good for an occasional chuckle; I just ran it - having thought that I was in the middle of a town with 1 mio inhabitants; My Location did put me in the middle ... of a lake about a hundred miles to the east of were I had thought I was

Kind Regards,

Jochen
    If you want the contacts to sort by either first name, last name or even company name use Initiate launcher. It is one of the best pieces of software for the Palm. You can launch anything from the launcher screen including memos, mp3's, contacts, apps, pictures, movies, etc. And it even has voice launching.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    Hmmm,

in a way it does DOES on my GSM Centro - at least it's good for an occasional chuckle; I just ran it - having thought that I was in the middle of a town with 1 mio inhabitants; My Location did put me in the middle ... of a lake about a hundred miles to the east of were I had thought I was

Kind Regards,

Jochen
    I think I made that comment before the GSM Centro came out. "My Location" doesn't work with Sprint on the Centro. From what you said, it doesn't sound like it works much better on the GSM version either.