1.    #1  
    Just upgraded to the 755p today. Great so far. I have two questions for you seasoned vets out there:

1 - Is there anyone who has figured out a way to make google maps recognize where you are and input the zip code that way? The iPhones do this and it is pretty slick. If you are in an area where you dont know the zip code, this would be very handy in locating the nearest __________ (whatever you are looking for).

2 - I installed the JVM and Gmail client and the text looks all funny. It is above where it should be, and looks out of place. Anyone else experience this? How to you change the preferances of the JVM? I installed a file, but not sure how to access it.

Thanks all!
    JVM preferences are in your Palm system preferences.

I don't use JVM gmail app though so I dunno about that.
    the 755 does not have GPS, so Google maps cannot figure out where you are.

As far as gmail, I never had success myself using the Java download and any Java clients. For my gmail I use ChatterEmail which has instant setup for gmail IMAP and works great. BUT, you can just as easily go onto Blazer and go to this web address and access you mailboxes. I used to use this and it was fine:

http://gmail.com
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  4.    #4  
    the iphone just finds the nearest cell tower that it is connecting to and gets the zip code off of that... no GPS needed. It would be really neat if this could happen with our Treos!
  5.    #5  
    Ok, found Google Maps with My Location, which seems to be what I am looking for. It is free, but I installed it and it is not working on the 755p. Anyone installed this sucessfully? Google Maps opens as it always does, but you are supposed to be able to hit "0" and get your location. Does nothing for me.
    The My Location for Palm works for GSM based devices. The Java thing though for GMail, it works but it really is not stable or very good at what it is intended to do. You are better off not wasting the memory and put that memory to use with another mailer. I have the Palm OS GMail prc if you want it.

Ben
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Do you see the Java in prefs all the way @ bottom?
    Open it set the memory to at least 4Mb, the stack size up to 8Kb.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The My Location for Palm works for GSM based devices. The Java thing though for GMail, it works but it really is not stable or very good at what it is intended to do. You are better off not wasting the memory and put that memory to use with another mailer. I have the Palm OS GMail prc if you want it.

Ben
    Nice! Does that prc work then without using java?
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBack3 View Post
    Nice! Does that prc work then without using java?
    I'm interested too, I was under the assumption (from the gmail website) that the mobile gmail agent was only for Java enabled devices.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Or you could install Sharklinks...which allows you to create an 'icon" for a gmail weblink on your apps screen. You tap it and it opens up your gmail account for you via launching the web. Now, it won't alert you when you get mail, but you can check your gmail easily...and with unlimited data it's a non-issue for me. Just a suggestion, YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post
    Or you could install Sharklinks...which allows you to create an 'icon" for a gmail weblink on your apps screen. You tap it and it opens up your gmail account for you via launching the web. Now, it won't alert you when you get mail, but you can check your gmail easily...and with unlimited data it's a non-issue for me. Just a suggestion, YMMV.
    Hey, I like that! Never knew about Sharklinks, I have a few webaddresses I'd like to have icons of. Wonder if you can use the custom icons from zLauncher?
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Hey, I like that! Never knew about Sharklinks, I have a few webaddresses I'd like to have icons of. Wonder if you can use the custom icons from zLauncher?
    I have even remapped the email button to launch the GMail "app" that Sharklinks created for me.

This program uses it's own icons.. and at 1src you can download the icon set for just about any link out there. HOWEVER, YES you can tap and hold the icon and swap it for one of the Zlauncher icons in the set you've chosen to use. It's really awesome...and did I mention that it's free. Very nice.

I've given up on the headache that was once Versamail for me. The time that it takes to launch the web and open my Gmail is about equivalent to the time needed for versamail to download my mail anyway...when it worked. And you only have to input your password and such the first time, from then on it opens directly for you. Very sweet!

Thank you Sjweise!!
    Last edited by Ohappydaye; 02/09/2008 at 05:50 PM.
    Forgot to add, it will open in "mobile" version which doesn't allow you to see or download attachments, but if you scroll to the bottom and switch from "mobile" to "html" mode you can then download your attachments to your card or device. I did it just today and then switched it back "mobile" mode for easier scrolling. Not a bad trade off in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I use Snappermail to send and receive email my Gmail account...works perfectly, and much faster than going through the web:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...043&topic=1556