1.    #1  
    I recently bought the GPS navigator car kit to use with my Treo 680. It works fine for the most part, except for one thing. I notice if I leave it plugged in when the car is off (like I park it, take my phone out, but don't unplug the cable) the car kit will not "register" for quite some time when I come back and try to use it. That is, if I leave work, put the phone back it, the phone will start charging, but I can't lock on to a GPS signal, nor can I use the speakerphone function. It's almost as it by leaving it plugged in when the car is off, some power is drained or something, and it won't work. I tested it once, turned the car off, and after about 2 mintues (maybe less) turned in back on. It took almost 10 minutes until the GPS receiver suddenly started picking up a GPS satellite signal (flashing blue). Before that, the light it just off (after the initial flash of blue if I unplug then plug the cord). The funny thing is I can have a solid lock, turn the car off (as I described above) and when I turn it back on, no lock, no GPS device detected, etc.

It's very odd. Does this happen to other people? Or do I have a defective unit? Other than that (and occasional bad voice quality when I am on the speaker phone, where the person I am talking to can't hear me) the unit works fine.

Chris
    I can't say I have any answers but am interested in buying this kit. Now that you have had it awhile now...do you like it...and are you still haing the loss of sattelite signal problem?

Thanks

Skis
  3.    #3  
    I like it quite a bit. It's not a LOSS of signal problem, it's a problem aquiring the signal - and that is only when I leave it plugged into the car while the car is off.

If I don't do that, it's no problem at at all. The trick is remember to unplug it before I turn the car off.

Chris
    Other than this power down mystery problem...this thing is working well for you?

Any problems with the charger?
    the gps unit
    the map software?
    the speaker phone?
    Integration with the 680?
    problems with other 3rd party apps?

I am pretty interested in this unit and the price seems right. I just don't want to plunk down $$ and be very dissapointed later on a fundamental level

Thanks

Skigs
  5.    #5  
    No real problems other than the weird turn off/let plugged in thing.

The speaker phone works great - 99% of the time no one can tell that are on a speakerphone.

Chris
    Ya sold me on this thing. I may not need it and may need to take it out of the car to avoid theft issues (something mentioned by others in another thread)..But for the price....how can I beat it!

Thanks

Skigs
    I bought the unit and it seems to work well. But this power on issue that you have identified....I think I have the same problem.

What have you done about it? Is there a way to avoid the slow "reboot" issue?

From what you have said, if I unplug it before I power the car off, does that work. if so, I might just install a cheap switch in the line from the car plug and see if that helps.

let me know.

Thanks

Skigs
    I recently purchased this Palm GPS device, and I'm not sure I understand this power-on issue but I was experiencing long delays in the GPS device acquiring a signal. What seems to speed things up for me (YMMV) is to select/configure a different GPS device (I select TomTom) then switch back to the Palm GPS device.
    I can't say I have tried it more than a couple of times now...but switching the GPS unit to another and then right back works. Kind of an annoying little step when you hop in the car...but since you only need the gps on unfamiliar trips, I can live with it.

That said, what is the real issue here? Is it a hardware bug in the cradle, the tom tom software, of the treo itself? It seems that the collective group of these things do not "reboot" when activated or turned on. Anybody got a clue on this one.

Also, if one of you programming geniuses in Palm OS can create a little utility to re-initiate the gps without forcing me to force/trick the tom tom software to do it. I would gladly pay a few $$ for it.

Skigs
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs View Post
    I bought the unit and it seems to work well. But this power on issue that you have identified....I think I have the same problem.

What have you done about it? Is there a way to avoid the slow "reboot" issue?

From what you have said, if I unplug it before I power the car off, does that work. if so, I might just install a cheap switch in the line from the car plug and see if that helps.

let me know.

Thanks

Skigs
    The only thing I have found that works is to make sure you unplug the GPS from the car before turning it off. I think there may be some effect of removing the phone first or something, but I don't recall what works best (ie, remove phone or unplug first).

When I have left it plugged in by mistake, the only thing I can do is wait. It's not just getting a satellite lock, because the speakerphone function doesn't work as well.

Chris
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by skigs View Post
    I can't say I have tried it more than a couple of times now...but switching the GPS unit to another and then right back works. Kind of an annoying little step when you hop in the car...but since you only need the gps on unfamiliar trips, I can live with it.

That said, what is the real issue here? Is it a hardware bug in the cradle, the tom tom software, of the treo itself? It seems that the collective group of these things do not "reboot" when activated or turned on. Anybody got a clue on this one.

Also, if one of you programming geniuses in Palm OS can create a little utility to re-initiate the gps without forcing me to force/trick the tom tom software to do it. I would gladly pay a few $$ for it.

Skigs
    Next time I leave it plugged in by mistake, I will try this switching from one unit to the other. However, as I said, it isn't just a satellite aquisition error, since when I have the "dead time", the speaker phone aspect doesn't work either!

Chris
    For me, the jury is still out on the speaker phone.

I have tried to use it once on the highway and my counterpart in the conversation could not hear me. Too much background noise at 70 mph in a mini....or maybe I had the unit touching the dash (too much vibration)

Anybody have issues with this aspect of this unit?

btw....now that I use the change the device trick when I log on...the GPS portion of the pairing works like a dream. Happy as a clam I am.