1.    #1  
    I was wondering what is a good amount of memory so that your phone will work at an efficient level??? I mean for your phone to run smooth.
    I have have 52% left with my cache cleared.

Is that good???
    I would think anything over 50% is great. I have 80% clear memory because I keep most stuff on my card. But the 755 is fantastic with the added memory, coming from a 650 that is.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Including all of the Apps included with the phone, I have 68 apps loaded on the phone itself. I have 253 Contacts, 50 Notes and hundreds of emails on the phone. I also have my MP3 ringers in RAM. With all that, I have 53% free memory. I use a 2GB miniSD for photos and MP3s. I can't imagine legitimately needing all of the available memory to the point the phone lags.
    11+ yrs w/ a Palm: It's come a long way!
    Quote Originally Posted by chronic25 View Post
    Including all of the Apps included with the phone, I have 68 apps loaded on the phone itself. I have 253 Contacts, 50 Notes and hundreds of emails on the phone. I also have my MP3 ringers in RAM. With all that, I have 53% free memory. I use a 2GB miniSD for photos and MP3s. I can't imagine legitimately needing all of the available memory to the point the phone lags.
    I'm just curious, do you use Versamail for email and can't you store the email boxes on the card?
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I've been at 43% free for some time now.

Things are working very well for me at that level.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    I believe chatteremail and agendusMail will let you have mail and attachments stored on the sd card instead. I haven't personally tried any of the SD card mailbox options in chatteremail though, but agendusMail works.

Also I think there issome criss-cross confusion between RAM for running programs and storage memory for storing apps internally in this thread...
    Last edited by papped; 02/08/2008 at 12:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I believe chatteremail and agendusMail will let you have mail and attachments stored on the sd card instead. I haven't personally tried any of the SD card mailbox options in chatteremail though, but agendusMail works.

Also I think there issome criss-cross confusion between RAM for running programs and storage memory for storing apps internally in this thread...
    yes, there is a checkbox option in ChatterEmail to store the mailboxes on the SD card.

As far as the confusion you mention above, are we not talking about the free memory in RAM? I use zLauncher and it shows my free memory on the bottom tool bar - it reads 80%.
    Im down to 22.2MB .. I use up a lot from my email though.. I thought I was doing pretty good after my last reformat of my phone but some how even with out loading half my games I still end up in the low twenties.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    As far as the confusion you mention above, are we not talking about the free memory in RAM? I use zLauncher and it shows my free memory on the bottom tool bar - it reads 80%.
    Yeah, but as far as I know your free internal memory has no affect on your phone's performance.

The only thing that would is managing your dbcache.

To quote from another source:

Full DbCache means slower data operations because of the increased data exchange between the NVFS and the DbCache.
    http://www.resco.net/palm/explorer/NVFS.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    The only thing that would is managing your dbcache.
    thanks for that article; it mentioned that resetting the phone clears the DBcache. Is that a soft reset and is there any other way to clear it? Does this indicate that it is healthy to do a soft reset on a regular basis? Thanks for your help.
    Soft resets are healthy, but not required. Odds are you will fill the cache back up again fairly quickly anyways.

There's a couple ways of having your phone autoclear the dbcache on it's own.

Zlauncher has a plugin called ZLPluginDBCache. You basically set it to auto clear the dbcache when only X megs of dbcache is free.

ResetDoctor also does this.

There may be a free option (Zlauncher plugin is free, but zlauncher isn't of course), but I don't know one off the top of my head.

Also keep in mind that if you have something auto-clear the dbcache while you are in the middle of doing something, you might think your phone froze for a few seconds, but really it's just clearing the cache.
    Great, I already own and use zLauncher, so I will install that plug-in. I really appreciate all of your help.
    dollface I think you need the latest version of ZL to use the plug in. Resco Explorer also has an option to clear the dbcache and I have used it successfully many times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    dollface I think you need the latest version of ZL to use the plug in. Resco Explorer also has an option to clear the dbcache and I have used it successfully many times.
    thanks, I have the latest version.
    Concerning ZLauncher, the first release of the plug-in itself is the one that works the best. Ben
    Ben, I'm up to 5.45 zLauncher and I think I deleted my older version on my PC. Do you know which version was the first to have the DBCache plug-in; maybe the zLauncher website might still have that version I can download. I did install that plugin last night from my 5.45 version folder. It says I have 10.5M free cache. I have it set to clear when it reaches less than 8M (roughly 50% of the DB size)
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Ben, I'm up to 5.45 zLauncher and I think I deleted my older version on my PC. Do you know which version was the first to have the DBCache plug-in; maybe the zLauncher website might still have that version I can download. I did install that plugin last night from my 5.45 version folder. It says I have 10.5M free cache. I have it set to clear when it reaches less than 8M (roughly 50% of the DB size)
    2nd request...I would also like to get my hands on the version of ZLauncher that DBcache works.
    My phone is 42.7 of 62.8 free as far as memory.

Is there any reason to get a memory card?
    will it make the phone run faster just becasue it's there?

I love my 755p A LOT, it's just I've used a 650 for so long and I think that the 650 runs faster for some reason. (actaully, I know it does)

Oh, and what does it mean when someone is selling a phone and they say it's "unlocked" or "locked"
    Locked or unlocked has to do with whether or not it is restricted to only be used on the initial carrier.

Memory card doesn't make your phone faster just by having it.

Whether or not you need one depends on if you need the storage space or not. If you put large movies or audio for example, a card would be a good idea.
    The latest release of ZLauncher does fine; the first release of the DB cache plug-in is the one you want. A PM with your email will get it mailed to you.
    Ben