1.    #1  
    WOW... I went to the Verizon store today with every intention of turning in my old 650 for a 755p. The guy showed me the Verizon SMT5800. I really liked the form factor, it seemed easy to use, so I impulsively decided to give it a go. It was about the same cost as getting the 755p, and I have the 30-day use/return option.

I really like the phone, and I like many things about Windows Mobile. I haven't used Outlook in years so I would have to spend some time setting that up, but no big deal.

What I can't get over, is the lack of functional push e-mail. I had done some research on this before, but I had to try it to believe it. I downloaded flexmail immediately and gave that a go. At least with flexmail, I was getting push e-mail but in a somewhat awkward interface, with poor alerts/notifications. However, adding flexmail alone and NO other apps, the delay when flipping the screen to landscape view increased from about 1 second to about 5-7 seconds (unacceptable when you need your phone to work in a hurry).

I guess the lesson for me is that Windows Mobile is a MICROSOFT intensive OS (as obvious as that sounds, it wasn't so clear to me before). If you use exchange, I suppose it's fine.... but I have 2 gmail accounts, an IMAP account, AND an exchange account, so support for exchange alone just isn't enough! How is Windows Mobile so far behind the game in this, when PalmOS has chatter, and blackberry has it's push technology?? I don't get it!

Anyway, I think I'm going to head back to Verizon tomorrow and pick up a 755p. The benefits seem pretty obvious to me... Ease of transferring contacts (which are already on palm desktop), push email for ALL my accounts (via Chatter, which has become a part of my life and works SO well!), use of the same 3rd party apps without having to rediscover/repurchase many of them. Plus, the palmOS just seems faster and less... clunky?
    It's seriously a give and take, depending on what you need.

They are each better in different areas and worse in different areas.

Outlook is a lot more solid for most users than VM and the EAS support is way, way better. Windows Live also supports push email with Hotmail, which you cannot get true push with anywhere else really (or even connect to with VM. Requires glimmermail which doesnt support attachments. Only other option is Sprint Mobile Email, but it has its own problems and you have to be with Sprint).

Also keep in mind that if you use EAS (which a lot of WinMobile users do), syncing or restoring contacts requires no effort at all.

Personally I find push email overrated period due to the battery drain, unless you require time sensitive emails for work. I set everything to pull in 1 hour intervals with a sleep period at night.

Also, WM has wifi drivers, PALM currently does not. Some care about that a lot, others could care less.
    get the 700wx
    I own both a Dell Axim WM5 (no phone) and a Sprint Treo 755p and I much prefer the Palm OS. My Dell is great at home as a laptop replacement for browsing, listening to music, videos, games, etc - it has wifi. But for daily use I depend on the 755; I find Palm OS much more responsive with much less freeze ups than WM5.

I also use ChatterEmail and have it set to pull mail every hour, sleeping from 11pm to 8am.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    It's seriously a give and take, depending on what you need.

They are each better in different areas and worse in different areas.

Outlook is a lot more solid for most users than VM and the EAS support is way, way better. Windows Live also supports push email with Hotmail, which you cannot get true push with anywhere else really (or even connect to with VM. Requires glimmermail which doesnt support attachments. Only other option is Sprint Mobile Email, but it has its own problems and you have to be with Sprint).

Also keep in mind that if you use EAS (which a lot of WinMobile users do), syncing or restoring contacts requires no effort at all.

Personally I find push email overrated period due to the battery drain, unless you require time sensitive emails for work. I set everything to pull in 1 hour intervals with a sleep period at night.

Also, WM has wifi drivers, PALM currently does not. Some care about that a lot, others could care less.
    But the thing is, if I USED exchange, or if I USED hotmail, I think I'd have no problem with it. But am I supposed to change my e-mail accounts because I got a new phone? Chatter (on the palm os) seems to handle this task without any compromises...

Also I've had zero battery problems after almost 2 years of chatter push email usage. I'm sure it doesn't last as long as it would without it, but it gets through the day pretty easily!
    I preferr my Treo 755p even for audio and web browsing over the WM5/6 devices I've had.

WM is terrible at memory management and several of the multimedia programs in general use a ton of memory. Windows Media Player memory usage is just ridiculous...

PIE isn't much better or worse than Blazer (with the expection of if you buy PIE Plus you can have tabbed browsing).

As far as using exchange you don't have to change your email accounts to use it... There are easy ways around that (auto forwarding for example). But that's the point, which one is better is dependent on what you do use.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    I own both a Dell Axim WM5 (no phone) and a Sprint Treo 755p and I much prefer the Palm OS. My Dell is great at home as a laptop replacement for browsing, listening to music, videos, games, etc - it has wifi. But for daily use I depend on the 755; I find Palm OS much more responsive with much less freeze ups than WM5.

I also use ChatterEmail and have it set to pull mail every hour, sleeping from 11pm to 8am.
    Cool... yeah I'm wondering if I'm being too impulsive returning it after just a day's use. Maybe I'm just too scared of change!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    Cool... yeah I'm wondering if I'm being too impulsive returning it after just a day's use. Maybe I'm just too scared of change!!!
    Not really. From a user standpoint, the most important is the device is working as you expect. Although I am a tech guy, I don't chase for the new technology. (Yes. I did it many years ago.) I found that the most important is usability. A lot of tech guys always get the latest software but most of them will get some additional functions which they never use plus the bluky and buggy software. (I did it it also but in a testing computer not my working computer.) Of course, it depends on individuals preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    Well, in all fairness give it one week's useage then decide. I hope you got my point clearly, that I definitely find Palm more to my liking for my needs. If my Dell had a phone I might still be using it, but like the above poster mentioned, Windows uses a LOT of memory and mine would freeze up requiring a reset. I have several laptops and now several smart devices; I like that I can carry stuff from my laptop with me on my phone (755) but it really isn't to replace my laptop. So I am not concerned that it can't multi-task (like a Windows device) but it also makes it much smoother running for me.

Good luck with your decision.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    I use versamail with EAS and don't have any battery drain problems. I also would never have email delivered to a mobile device any other way then EAS. Email just isn't email with out push.
    I wish EAS worked for me... VM is much better to navigate 1handed to delete/etc than Chatter is.

Nobody has been able to explain to me why my passwords are constantly lost (for gmail imap also, 3.5.5 and 4.0.1). Palm chat support was absolutely zero help. They had me do the usual unrelated crap like soft reset the device and recreate the account.
    For EAS, Chatter does not provide you with a global address book, even VM does that. WinMob does it even better.
    Matty