View Poll Results: Do you have an Instant Messaging app on your phone?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 57.78%
  • No

19 42.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's my Instant Messaging Program.

The past few days i have been reinstalling apps to my phone one by one, and i observed that when my IM app (Mundu in my case) is not installed, my phone does not hang up in certain dead spots in the hospital,does not disconnect from the internet as often (it occured maybe once), and my internet connection just is stable and more constant. No more sudden freezing because my network connection gets disconnected.

So i am including a poll to this thread...

For those who also expereince freezes and hangups, do you have an instant messaging app on your phone?

I wonder what it does to the network preferences or to the cell radio which causes it to be unstable...
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    In my opinion the freezes and lags are caused by Phone/Network signal issues. So, while an IM app is not necessarily the cause of the problem, the more things you have accessing the Network the more freezes and lags you will have, especially in weak signal areas. This is an PalmOS problem, not necessarily an app problem.....the OS was never designed to handle all of these things efficiently, IMHO.
    I do not have an IM application installed and I do not have freezes or resets.
    Yeah keep in mind that as mentioned already, IM clients are good culprits for revealing problems that are not actually related to the IM client itself, but rather radio/signal/connection/database problems.

This is because they maintain a constant data connection to the server, transfer data frequently and trigger a lot of alerts...
    There is an app called IM in ROM on my 755; I will never use this, any way I an remove it? I imagine this is not active unless I open this app and try to use it, right? That sounds stupid, but I need to be sure.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    It's the OZ IM, a sms based im client.

It is not active unless you run it.

For general knowledge you cannot delete anything on your phone that is located in the rom.

I believe the full app itself is not actually stored in the ROM, it redirects you to the website to download the application.
    Thank you for replying so quickly. I just now went ahead and clicked it and it did take me to a Sprint vision website. So it is really a link icon.

On my treo 650 I did manage to go onto the MSN mobile website and they have the mobile MSN messenger on there. I could use that fine, but you only see one side of the conversation at a time, no threading. But it worked fine and there was no extra texting charge.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    You can also use Chit Chat Lite if you want.

It's a free client for MSN chat. It also doesn't have that restriction you just mentioned.
  9.    #9  
    The weird thing about this is even if when i am logged off, my phone suffers from the lags/hangs still. So it must do something to the base code which makes the phone look for signals constantly EVEN WHEN LOGGED OFF.

I hope we can get an insiders opinion from the Mundu Dev Team or anyone who writes software for IM.

To those who will vote.... Please Vote ONly if you Are having freezes/lags. I faioled to qualify that. i hope i could modify the poll myself.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    The weird thing about this is even if when i am logged off, my phone suffers from the lags/hangs still. So it must do something to the base code which makes the phone look for signals constantly EVEN WHEN LOGGED OFF.
    No, again, it should have nothing to do with the program itself. 3rd party programs that are usually not active do not access the Network unless you launched them at some point and they have some sort of background mode. It has to do with how your 755p handles Phone/Network signals. It also can fluctuate based on signal strength and Network authentication issues.

Causerie requires you to sign on for IMs. When you log off, nothing in the program keeps looking for the Network. If you log on and then press another app button, it automatically puts you in Background mode and constantly polls the Network at the time frame you select to check for new IMs. I assume that most IM programs work this way.
    I had not tried the built in IM app after the 1.07 update. I used it once and the old problem of every other attempt to connect to Sprint Provisioning failure returned. I had that problem regardless of the app using data access or if the IM app was running or not. Deleted IM from RAM, and the problem went away.

Back to Gizmo...
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    My freezes frequently. I don't have a 3rd party IM application.
    Verizon 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    Deleted IM from RAM, and the problem went away.
    Can you please tell me how you deleted this from RAM? thanks
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I recently went through and deleted EVERYTHING that I dont use. Mundu was one of them. I havnt had a freeze or reset in 2-3 months since I have done this.. and I use my phone heavily (mainly internet and texting though). I do however still have the IM program in ROM (755p), and use it a few times per week. I dont think its causing any problems for me.

My biggest issue was java. It reset many times when opening the gmail app I had. I could even click the java icon trying to view its settings and the phone would reset 9 times out of 10.

I now use chattermail (with my gmail account) and have zero issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by camdz View Post
    I recently went through and deleted EVERYTHING that I dont use. Mundu was one of them. I havnt had a freeze or reset in 2-3 months since I have done this.. and I use my phone heavily (mainly internet and texting though). I do however still have the IM program in ROM (755p), and use it a few times per week. I dont think its causing any problems for me.

My biggest issue was java. It reset many times when opening the gmail app I had. I could even click the java icon trying to view its settings and the phone would reset 9 times out of 10.

I now use chattermail (with my gmail account) and have zero issues.
    I always had problems with java, the Opera mini would crash me instantly. The mobile gmail website is pretty convenient if you didn't want to buy Chatter. But I bought it and highly recommend it (with gmail)
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    yea I forgot to mention opera mini crashed instantly for me as well. Many people love it, and I wish I could make it work..but it just sends the phone into a reset loop immediately
    JVM is fairly unstable
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by camdz View Post
    WHen you say the IM program in ROM, did you mean the SPrint IM client app? do you get freezes when it runs in the background? And how's the signal strength in your area? are there a lot of dead spots where you're from?

And yes, i think the basic consensus is JAVA freezes Palms quite a bit.

Is there any hardware test we can do to test our cell radio ourselves? this seems to be whats causing the problem from whats being said around here.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    WHen you say the IM program in ROM, did you mean the SPrint IM client app? do you get freezes when it runs in the background? And how's the signal strength in your area? are there a lot of dead spots where you're from?

And yes, i think the basic consensus is JAVA freezes Palms quite a bit.

Is there any hardware test we can do to test our cell radio ourselves? this seems to be whats causing the problem from whats being said around here.
    Yea I meant whatever IM program comes from sprint on the 755p. I had mundu but deleted it since they are pretty much the same thing. Honestly the longest I have left it running is probably 3-4 hours. Usually talking on it at work during break..then leave it running until I get off or something of the sort. I dont use it THAT often but have never had a freeze while its been in use.

As for my signal strength in the area its almost always full bar, maybe 2-3 less in a few spots along a boring highway (but never enough to drop a call) back to the parents house.

edit-This thread jinxed me!! I updated the ROM today to 1.07...shortly after making this post I go to open Blazer and my phone reset . Thats the first one I have had in a LONG time. I dont soft reset my phone or do anything else as a preventative measure either. So it was just due for one, I was jinxed, or it could be the start of a new problem with 1.07
    Last edited by camdz; 02/19/2008 at 12:22 AM.
    I dunno, I've had the 1.07 rom on my phone ever since it released and haven't had a single reset with blazer.

So I am pretty sure 1.07 and blazer did not introduce the reset.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast