1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have written a detailed review of tomtom's Navigator 6 software and its operation on PalmOS treo hardware (I started with a Sprint treo 650 and the operation is essentially identical with my new treo 755p). Hope this helps anyone considering purchasing a GPS system for their treo.

Dan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nice review.

I occasionally get the not enough Free dB cache error also and did not like the soft reset option. Upon researching this further, I found that it is native to the POS and that there are programs that one can use to empty or clear the dB cache. Much to my surprise, a program I already use, BackupMan has this in the Advanced menu. Subsequently, when I get the message from TT6, I have used it to clear the dB cache probably 7-8 times now and have not had to do a soft reset since.

Additionally, you have to register on the TomTom site with your user name and password, then add your device, then when you connect from your phone with the same user and pw, it will bring up a screen with additional apps, maps, POI's, voices, etc. I did not purchase any extra, but nice to see it is linked easily.

I use a Holux M1200 and it works reliably with my 700P and TT6. I was going between Garmin Mobile 10 and TT6 and what prevented me from going Garmin was two fold, one, the incompatibilities of Garmin with back up on my BackupMan program and the second which was more of an issue was the install of Garmin was a pain and it had to go on memory of my device, not from the card. The number of files was excessive in my book and TT6 was just so much simpler to me to install the files to my SD card, register the device and maps and away I went. So I am happy with TT6 even thought it may have some shortcomings in the maps for US.
    I've seen this a *few* times and it's usually fragmentation rather than dbcache itself.. I've tried to clear cache with Prefs Doctor and it puts it back up towards 26M or so but still wouldn't run.

But I've seen this so seldom on my 680 it's not a big deal.. I think I only used TomTom on it a little, but I think I had more trouble with it there.
    Nice write-up.
    Kenji
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I've seen this a *few* times and it's usually fragmentation rather than dbcache itself.. I've tried to clear cache with Prefs Doctor and it puts it back up towards 26M or so but still wouldn't run.

But I've seen this so seldom on my 680 it's not a big deal.. I think I only used TomTom on it a little, but I think I had more trouble with it there.
    Best thing to do is a soft reset before running any GPS software because they all use a ton of dbcache.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Best thing to do is a soft reset before running any GPS software because they all use a ton of dbcache.
    On a 650... Not necessary on others.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    On a 650... Not necessary on others.
    I have to do it on my Centro and had to do it on my 700p when I had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I have to do it on my Centro and had to do it on my 700p when I had it.
    Sorry to hear that. Running Chatter and other apps, back and forth with ZLauncher and/or HiLauncher between TomTom 6 and GeoNiche and Blazer, previously also including Verichat running, and never had such issues.

I do this constantly when I'm out geocaching.. Chatter is picking up email, TomTom to navigate to a cache, GeoNiche to find it, etc.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanstein View Post
    Nice review...

... Much to my surprise, a program I already use, BackupMan has this in the Advanced menu...

...you have to register on the TomTom site with your user name and password, then add your device, then when you connect from your phone with the same user and pw, it will bring up a screen with additional apps, maps, POI's, voices, etc....
    Thanks. I did not realize BackupMan had that feature. I've been using Reset Doctor to clear my cache when necessary. I just feel that if you have a program like TT that needs lots of dbCache (clearly more than any other program I use, and I use many programs), the dbCache clearing functionality should be built into the program.

For example, "I'm sorry, there is insufficient dbCache to run this program. Clearing the cache will allow the program to run, but may cause the treo to crash if programs are in memory that have not properly locked their memory space. Shall I clear the cache now? [Y] [N]"

Also, I am registered on the TT website and using that username and pw to connect from the phone, but I can never seem to successfully connect. I wasn't interested in getting the extra content anyway, so it's not a problem for me.

Scramble!
  10.    #10  
    Khaytsus,

"...Running Chatter and other apps, back and forth with ZLauncher and/or HiLauncher between TomTom 6 and GeoNiche and Blazer, previously also including Verichat running, and never had such issues..."

That's interesting. What kind of hardware are you running? I certainly have less problem with this now that I've upgraded to the 755p, but it has still happened occasionally. In fact, I've setup Reset Doctor to automatically flush the cache whenever it gets below a certain level. I wonder if ZLauncher and/or HiLauncher are managing the dbCache for you in the background?

Scramble!