1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I noticed when I go to Preferences>Power>Beam Receive mine is ON. Is this the IR Beam they are talking about? I've been having battery drain recently out of no where. Is this the reason? thanks!!
    Probably. The IR beam sucks a lot of energy, and is rarely, if ever, used. (Mostly if two Palm users want to exchange data, or if you use your palm as a TV remote control). I turned mine off as soon as I got my Centro, and haven't touched it since.
  3. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700 View Post
    Probably. The IR beam sucks a lot of energy, and is rarely, if ever, used.
    Yeah, I used to use IR a lot more than I have lately. Some people probably use it even less--YMMV.

If you want to turn it on/off without going into Prefs all the time, I recommend Power Hero by Hobbyist Software. Among other things, you can use Option-P to launch Power Hero (in place of the brightness dialog box) and/or set up shortcuts to turn IR, Bluetooth, etc. on and off. Very useful program; I'd also recommend Hobbyist's other apps if you want to look further.
    This is the first that I've ever heard that the IR beam uses battery power when not being used, even if it's in the on position. Why would it even be in use when you are not manually beaming or it is receiving a signal? Hmmm! I know bluetooth is always searching for a signal when on, so it's using battery, but IR is new to me.

I look at the IR the same way I look at a lamp being plugged into a 'hot' wall socket. It won't use electric unless you use the lamp.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    The IR port is used for 2 way communication. It both sends and receives. The light is only used to send, but there is a light sensor that is always on to receive.
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    The IR port is used for 2 way communication. It both sends and receives. The light is only used to send, but there is a light sensor that is always on to receive.
    That makes sense, but how much battery can that use? I do know that as little as I use the beam application (and I'm always the one beaming), it would be easy to turn on and off. I guess you don't need to do anything if you're the one beaming as the option says beam receive on or off.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I am not sure, but I wouldn't think much...I leave mine on.

I think Bluetooth would use more, because the Centro is acting like a master device. It is probable sending out radio messages all the time lookicommunicating with slave devices. I try to turn off Bluetooth when I know I won't be using my headset for long periods.