Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I just bought my Centro a couple of weeks ago, and I am experiencing battery drain more often now as time passes. The first week or so, the battery managed to stay above 90% through the whole day. Now it goes all the way to 50% on a full day with the same amount of usage. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it just my phone specifically, or what? Thanks!!

-Alex
    Usually the Centro's battery performs better after a couple weeks, so I'm surprised to hear you report the opposite. Have you added any third party software applications that work in the background? Have you checked to ensure that infrared and bluetooth are off? If you use your IM app, have you ensured that it is off when you're not using it? Just a few thoughts that came to mind.

Stu
    Lower your screen brightness when you're going about your day, not heavy with your Centro's toys, and need to conserve energy.

It's pretty practical and easy to get by with brightness adjusted to around 1/4 of full brightness (maybe even less).

Definitely turn off bluetooth if you're not using it. It's easy to turn off and on by tapping on the BT icon up above (and this from someone with some semi-meaty fingertips). If you're not carrying your BT device, you don't need BT.
  4.    #4  
    How do you check which background applications are running?
    Well, the only app that I know that tells you exactly what is running in the background has not officially been released yet (SafeGuard). It is still in Beta. The ones on my Treo for background running apps are Butler, Reset Doctor, 2Day, 4Cast, email apps that use Push technology, Audio Gateway, FileZ, Keycaps 600, MyPalmVault, PowerHero, UltimatePhone, and Uninstall Manager. However, there many others. Of those listed above, only Butler and PowerHero would effect the key lights. There are some freeware apps that effect the keylights as well. Maybe it would be better if you told us what apps you have on your Centro and then we could tell you whether they would effect the keylights or not.
  6.    #6  
    I have MiniTones, T-Crisis (Tetris-like game), Tipster, Treo Launcher, and everything else the Centro comes installed with.

-Alex
    Well, it doesn't sound like its a third party app then. You could try a warm reset and let it run that way for a while and see if the battery still drains fast. If so, then I would recommend a factory reset. If you don't know what either of these are you can go to Palm and look them up or to MyTreo.net's Knowledge Base and either will tell you the procedure. Finally, if a factory reset doesn't do the trick, trade the phone out. Something is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by corona1707 View Post
    I have MiniTones, T-Crisis (Tetris-like game), Tipster, Treo Launcher, and everything else the Centro comes installed with.

-Alex
    I had treo launcher but i removed it because it was draining my battery.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Same problem I had, never figuared out what was causing it. Full reset and let it run with no 3rd party apps and still by the end of the day I'm at 25%. I need to exchange it at a Sprint store and see.

I have had it about 3-4 months, does sprint just exchange it or do I have to use the insurance?
    I have been having the same issues recently. My battery life was pretty good for the first 3 months. I could almost make two days without recharging. I dont use my phone that often. Now in the last 4 days I can't make it through a day withou running out of juice. Gottria did sprint exchange yours? The only thing I've done recently was instal the ptunes update to 4.06
    I had battery problems also, then read some where that the phone may be connecting to the internet without you knowing. Now when ever I am finished on the internet I go into Prefs, network, and in the bottom righthand corner I hit disconnect. That has taken care of the problem for me.
    If you've performed a warm or hard reset, not installed or reinstalled any 3rd party apps and your Treo is still experiencing rapid battery loss, then something is wrong. If you bought your phone within a year, the manufacturer's warranty should apply, which should be honored by your carrier. Unfortunately, particularly with Sprint, people often get caught in the middle of its Palm's responsibility, no its Sprint's responsibility. If you have Sprint, take it to a store along with your receipt and see if they will exchange it.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovern View Post
    Gottria did sprint exchange yours?
    I went in 2x and I had to wait like 30 minutes, so I held off. I still can't make it a whole day without needing a recharge. I bought a cig lighter charger for the car and when I'm on the road I charge it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovern View Post
    I have been having the same issues recently. My battery life was pretty good for the first 3 months. I could almost make two days without recharging. I dont use my phone that often. Now in the last 4 days I can't make it through a day withou running out of juice. Gottria did sprint exchange yours? The only thing I've done recently was instal the ptunes update to 4.06
    humm...I will try this to see how it works.
    Mine is OK, I have to recharge it every night since I have it push email all day. I have a 120-150mah discharge rate.
    is this a common things on all centro or just cdma version?
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
    I use the web on occassion, but have a gmail email account set up to get my mail every 1/2 hour. My battery has been draining at the rate of 2-4% or more per hour. I saw that someone noticed the same and now disconnects his network all the time. That has worked for me as well, but the email client shoud do that automatically NO?

I also tried to OTA the versamail update and it seems that the installation went well, but it still does not show the new build number.

Any additiona suggesstions to make the Network disconnect automatic each time the mail client finishes?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidnotdave View Post
    I use the web on occassion, but have a gmail email account set up to get my mail every 1/2 hour. My battery has been draining at the rate of 2-4% or more per hour. I saw that someone noticed the same and now disconnects his network all the time. That has worked for me as well, but the email client shoud do that automatically NO?

I also tried to OTA the versamail update and it seems that the installation went well, but it still does not show the new build number.

Any additiona suggesstions to make the Network disconnect automatic each time the mail client finishes?
    Try PowerHero from hobbyist.
    That's not normal, something (software or hardware) is bollixed. If you don't mind being without your data for a couple days, you could hard reset and see if the issue continues, if it does then it's hardware.
    I had similar battery life when I first got it, then suddenly it would go all day and end at 90%. I believe there was a silent update from Sprint.
    FYI:

I loaded PwoerHero and in the setup screen, Powersaver button, then set the Network Off After to 1 minute. Now when my Gmail autosync every 1/2 hour to pick up my mail, the powerhero setting turns the network off after 1 minute so it does not continue an open network draining the battery.

So far so good. I will report back on just how effective it actually is. Prior to this, my phone with typical use would be below 50 in a matter of hours.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast