1.    #1  
    I am having trouble syncing my Centro with my Outlook Contacts using Windows Vista. I have downloaded the patch from Palms site that was to fix this but it is still not syncing. Originally I had the Centro syncing with Palm Desktop and now I want to change to Outlook. I have removed and added the Palm software back on to the PC and ensured I checked sync with Outlook instead of the Palm software. When I open the software and chose sync with Outlook it tells me I am configured for this. It shows to have synced ok with no errors, but when I go into the contacts it is only the ones that are in the Palm Desktop Manager software originally. Any ideas on a fix? Thanks
    Are you use EAS for work/personal email? If you are then you can no longer use a sync program for your email/calender with Outlook.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I had a lot of problems with this. If you have multiple logins for your Vista PC things get weird. I had problems running any syncs unless logged in as the administrator.

If you have multiple logins, try logging in as the administrator (or the user designated as administrator) and try to sync then.

Hope this helps...
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the replies. I am not using the EAS email. I am using the POP. Which I am having issues with as well. Anyways, I was trying to sync with a user profile that was not the admin, however when I changed it, it made no difference. I tried syncing with a PC that had XP instead of Vista and everything appeared to sync just fine. I must have missed a patch or something with the Vista.
    There is a new version of sync program for vista. Are you using that one?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Did you find an answer to this? I have the same problem!
    I had issues syncing with Outlook when I got my phones yesterday. I installed the latest Palm Desktop software.

I found that my issue was simply that Outlook was open on my desktop. I closed Outlook and all was well. I don't know if that applies in your case, but it struck me as odd, as I never had to do this in XP back when my 650 was working, so I figured it was worth a mention.

I am logged in as a user with admin privileges. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, as I always log in as an admin, poor security practice be damned. I don't run anti-virus/anti-spyware either. I'm cool like that.
    Treo 650 -> Centro 128 MB
    Sorry for double-posting.

I am now getting an error every time I sync:
    Code:
    Backed up some files successfully
    +Failed to backup one file(s)
    -+PmTraceDatabase
    --+Protocol Error: Handheld file could not be opened. (4004)
    ---●SYNCERR_FILE_NOT_OPEN
    Ideas?
    From another thread:

Please follow the below steps to resolve the issue:

1. Download and install FileZ from www.Palmgear.com or http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml .

2. After installing the software on your device, Launch FileZ and tap on [ View and Edit Files ].

3. Open the Internal folder and tap [ pmTraceDatabase ] to put a check mark beside the file.

4. Tap [ Details ].

5. Tap on the “Attrs” tab, uncheck the “Backup” attribute then tap [ Save].

6. Now go ahead and perform a HotSync
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Use file manager in Centro such As resco explorer or FileZ (freeware)
    find Info and change the attribute Hidden to unhidden (untick)
    I also remove the backup (untick backup)

That will solve it

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spectacular View Post
    Sorry for double-posting.

I am now getting an error every time I sync:
    Code:
    Backed up some files successfully
    +Failed to backup one file(s)
    -+PmTraceDatabase
    --+Protocol Error: Handheld file could not be opened. (4004)
    ---●SYNCERR_FILE_NOT_OPEN
    Ideas?
    "Use file manager in Centro such As resco explorer or FileZ (freeware)
    I also remove the backup (untick backup)"

Do you work for the office of redundancy?
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    From another thread:

Please follow the below steps to resolve the issue:

1. Download and install FileZ from www.Palmgear.com or http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml .

2. After installing the software on your device, Launch FileZ and tap on [ View and Edit Files ].

3. Open the Internal folder and tap [ pmTraceDatabase ] to put a check mark beside the file.

4. Tap [ Details ].

5. Tap on the “Attrs” tab, uncheck the “Backup” attribute then tap [ Save].

6. Now go ahead and perform a HotSync
    This worked flawlessly. I have to ask though, what will I be missing out on by no longer backing up this file?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    You beat me by couple minutes

But thats the good thing about this forum, fast reply

Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    "Use file manager in Centro such As resco explorer or FileZ (freeware)
    I also remove the backup (untick backup)"

Do you work for the office of redundancy?
    Thanks! This helped me as well! Now for that second little problem of duplicate calendar entries on syncing.

Thanks,
    CanuckCentro
    New to Centro after having a Palm V for quite awhile.

Clarification on a point made about about synching via OES. If I've configured a mail client (i.e. VersaMail) to sync with our corporate Outlook server, will I not be able to sync with my desktop at home?

This may be the source of my frustrations. I'm used to synching at home (with Palm Desktop) and at work with Outlook but via cable.

Guidance appreciated. And if someone can point me in the direction of how to configure SnapperMail to work with Outlook that would be great too. Not so keen on VersaMail.

And thanks for the above tip on fixing that backup error. Having the same darn problem.
    Last edited by bksutton; 12/09/2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Update