1.    #1  
    when the update for the 680 came out http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...pdate/att.html

it adds mp3 ring tone support to it. now is there any way to pull the ringtone manager files from the 680 and install them to the 755p to add this feature. this was something i was hopeing would have been added to 755p update ( along with a lot of other thing) but it does not appear to be there.
    Is this possible? I would love to see this as well...
    Handspring Visor w/Sprint Mobile Card --> Sprint Treo 300 --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 755p
    Me too...
    Minitones is better imo though, because you can edit/strip the MP3 on the fly before you add it.
  5.    #5  
    but doesntit store the file in ram? so it wouldnt take long to fill up the treo with ringtones. as well as one less 3rd party app to be intalled on the treo
    Depends how you look at it.

If you strip an mp3 for a ringtone with Minitones you can cut out a 1min or shorter portion easily, which makes the file size anywhere from 100k-1mb roughly based on quality, length etc.

If you have first party mp3 support from sd card, you are guaranteed to be loading 3-8mb mp3 songs as ringtones.

What does this mean? You won't be able to pick where the ringtone starts in the song. Rarely do you want the ringtone to start at the beginning of a song, especially if there is deadspace in there at all. You also can't trim the song.

That is unless you edit the mp3, with 3rd party software. Whether it's on your PC or on the Treo, you still need 3rd party software to utilize ringtones the way you want, unless every single mp3 you are fine with it starting at the very beginning...
    Also may I suggest that when you use Minitones, which can be stored and used on the miniSD card, you trim your .mp3 tune to 30 seconds, since that is when you voice mail picks up the call if you don't answer; any longer is a waste. With the added RAM on the 755 you could really store quite a few homemade ringers in RAM and not make a dent. Plus Minitones puts the ringer after you are done trimming it, right into the ringtone folder. It's pretty easy and fun and you are assured a very personalized ringtone, as no two people will trim their song in the same place. I made about 5 ringers and they are all well under 1MB each.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    Also may I suggest that when you use Minitones, which can be stored and used on the miniSD card, you trim your .mp3 tune to 30 seconds, since that is when you voice mail picks up the call if you don't answer; any longer is a waste. With the added RAM on the 755 you could really store quite a few homemade ringers in RAM and not make a dent. Plus Minitones puts the ringer after you are done trimming it, right into the ringtone folder. It's pretty easy and fun and you are assured a very personalized ringtone, as no two people will trim their song in the same place. I made about 5 ringers and they are all well under 1MB each.
    The 30-second rule only applies to phone calls, not all other apps that use alerts, but I understand your point....

And IMHO, 700-900kb for just one ringtone is too much to sacrifice, but I'm only one person and can't speak for the norm.... :-)
    Handspring Visor w/Sprint Mobile Card --> Sprint Treo 300 --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 755p
    System alerts are completely different than ringtones.

You will not be able to add mp3 files as system alerts even if that update worked.

The only way I know to do this is using Koolsounds, which lets you specify an mp3 (which can even be located on the SD card) as an alert for each individual app.

Other than that, you cannot add to the system alerts.
    Quote Originally Posted by blockburner2700 View Post
    The 30-second rule only applies to phone calls, not all other apps that use alerts, but I understand your point....
    Oh sorry, I got lost somewhere in this thread, thought we were talking about ringers. I like your photo, is that taken with the 755?
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Ok i think something is getting lost in the thread..

You can use MiniTones to move MP3 and WAV files to RAM thus making them choices for ringtones and alerts.

Use a program like wavepad to cut the sound to a 10 - 30 second ringtone and save it as a low bit-rate file.

Then you can assign these ringtones to contacts, groups, or default tones. No more third party apps! woohoo!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Just for clarification, you still won't be able to use those tones for system alerts.
    Oh sorry, I got lost somewhere in this thread, thought we were talking about ringers.
    Yes, we were talking about ringers. I think the the thread became lost in the terminology and their meaning. I took "ringers" to mean any audible alert that you are able to customize. Sorry for the confusion, guys & gals! :-)

I like your photo, is that taken with the 755?
    Thank you for the compliment! Yes, it was taken with my 755p (and under low lighting conditions might I add!).

Have a great day!