1.    #1  
    I normally NEVER badmouth any software , but this simply needs to be said.

rscEdit, an app that lets you edit other apps on your Visor. Sounds cool, worked great. Except it uh... caused the following "symptoms."

(note: yes, I am SURE it was the workings of that program.)

*) Made Hackmaster 100% useless
    *) GoType would no longer work (see below)
    *) Beam receive was permanently "off." , no matter WHAT you did.
    *) Software resets (ones that you do on your Palm's screen ala hackmaster) cause a LOUD buzzing noise....
    *) All resets never made it past the "Palm Computing Platform" screen. The ONLY way to get past it was by holding the "up" button.
    *) Medium Resets (erasing all of the data by holding the power button & pressing up) , were not able to solve the problem.
    *) Frequent resetting needed due to "Fatal Errors."

I eventually solved this by removing the batteries, and deleting every file I had tried to edit with it too.

Does it only hate my Visor? The software had 5-4 star ratings. But it nearly killed my Visor Deluxe!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    Where did you get it from?

I searched on PalmTracker and PalmGear for it, but found nothing. Thought there might be something in the documentation.

I know there are some Palm(tm) branded editor programs out there, as well as an emulator; I'd think it'd be safer to make changes to Palm apps elsewhere than on your Visor ... especially after this experience you've related

My other thought is, perhaps whatever edits you made to whatever program may have had something to do with it. Some software is coded so tightly, minor insignificant modifications can have disastrous results.

Apple's ResEdit (Resource Editor) comes with a disclaimer that you use it at your own risk; I expect there might be something similar with this app.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  3.    #3  
    My apologies, it's "Onboard rsrcEDIT"

It's at Palmgear.

Anyway, I do not remember any disclaimer, (not even in the manual that came with it.)

But the funny thing is, is that the program I was working on was one I wrote!!!!

From now on I'm using the Emulator. I simply can't expose my Visor to such harm!
    <b><font size=1 color=teal>"Sorry about the whole thing about losing your life savings, but that Palmpilot is property of Enron, so please give it back"
    I've got it on my Visor Deluxe, and it works fine and hasn't caused any of those problems. Hmmm
    Okay, I found it.

Couple of things:
    -Palmgear's copy is v. 1.009. The developer's website, http://www.individeo.net/ has v. 1.017.
    -The developer offers the following link for assistance with using and modifiying resources:
    http://palm.3com.com/devzone

The developer site doesn't say anything about conflicts, but on reflection and re-reading your first post, I wonder if maybe it doesn't like HackMaster?
    Anomaly, are you using HackMaster?

repaired a transposition
    Last edited by Yorick; 06/14/2001 at 10:54 AM.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    I sometimes have problems with it, but I only use it to colorize icons and rename apps though.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    Yes, I am using hackmaster.
    I'm using version 1.014 and it never gave me any trouble. And I have HackMaster as well.
    It makes a nice companion to Quartus Forth (a programming language on the Visor).
    That way one can write software while on the go.
    --
    SURREAL SAGE SEZ: All I want is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power
    hmmm. Must just be bblue.
    Let's all laugh derisively at him until he gets back from vacation.

(just kidding! )
    I have that prog. on my Visor and I love it. I haven't ever had any problem with it, and I use hackmaster too. There are many files I'm not going to even think about messing with in it though, and possibly you modified something or a few things you shouldn't have. This program certainly would provide that opportunity.
    IYYAYAS

AMMO - Providing the enemy the opportunity to die for his country.