Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I did a search for centro on at&t and there is a $100 rebate for the Centro, the problem is they want you to get a pda plan or data plan as well as voice
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZilla View Post
    I did a search for centro on at&t and there is a $100 rebate for the Centro, the problem is they want you to get a pda plan or data plan as well as voice
    OK, where? I did the same search and found nothing like this. What exact search terms did you use?

Thanks.
    tim
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts

I, too, did a search and found nothing. I then had an online conversation with an AT&T rep named Faye. She said they don't carry the Centro and have no plans to carry Sprint's phone. I told her politely, don't play coy with me you saucy wench, my local rep says they'll have them next week. She persisted in her way of thinking! I can't believe it! There aren't enough O's in smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth to describe my conversation with her..................
    the guy's post is pretty much useless bullsh*t without posting a link.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post

I, too, did a search and found nothing. I then had an online conversation with an AT&T rep named Faye. She said they don't carry the Centro and have no plans to carry Sprint's phone. I told her politely, don't play coy with me you saucy wench, my local rep says they'll have them next week. She persisted in her way of thinking! I can't believe it! There aren't enough O's in smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth to describe my conversation with her..................
    Gee, M, I had much worse luck than you. I called the ATT store in Kalamazoo and got stuck talking to Ed!!! Actually, he seemed very knowledgeable. He said that (1) no, he hadn't received any yet, (2) his best guess was that they would be available online first, then in the store, and (3) the order would indeed be white first, followed by black in a few weeks.

I'm just wondering why there has been no official pre-release notice from Palm to build up the excitement a little bit, especially when the announced the UK version a full two weeks before they officially became available.
    tim
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    SOP for most smartphones on most carriers. The options you're left with, if you don't want to keep the data plan, are 1) sign up for it and cancel after a month (the upside, with a smartphone, is that you can set a calendar reminder!) or 2) get it at the somewhat-higher price without the data plan. Normally there's a combination of instant and mail-in rebates, and you get part of that if you get the phone with just voice.

Of course, part of why they have that "try it for a month" arrangement is that they're hoping you'll either forget to cancel it or decide you want it after all.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    ... if you don't want to keep the data plan, sign up for it and cancel after a month.

Of course, part of why they have that "try it for a month" arrangement is that they're hoping you'll either forget to cancel it or decide you want it after all.
    Being new to the smartphone side of the world, I wasn't aware of this. I assumed that you needed to purchase their data plan for the entire two-year contract. Is this the case with all of the big providers, specifically ATT? If so, do you have to make a decision within those 30 days, or can you cancel anytime down the road?

Thanks for your wisdom!
    tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    So, after getting no hits today looking on ATT's site, I went back tonight and typed in "Palm Centro Rebate". It came back with only one hit, a pdf file that showed all of the phones with current rebates. Lo and behold, the Centro was listed on it!

http://www.wireless.att.com/global/M...ice_040708.pdf

The only thing is, it is available only for purchases from ATT.com, not in-store purchases. This will be interesting to see how the prices shake out between the two.
    tim
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    Being new to the smartphone side of the world, I wasn't aware of this. I assumed that you needed to purchase their data plan for the entire two-year contract. Is this the case with all of the big providers, specifically ATT? If so, do you have to make a decision within those 30 days, or can you cancel anytime down the road?

Thanks for your wisdom!
    It's a common take out there--I've heard lots of people think they couldn't make changes. With AT&T in particular (and to some extent on other carriers, overall), your contract says you will keep the line in service--whether or not it's on the same rate plan or with the same features, e.g. data plan. You can often add or remove features without affecting the length of the contract. It's always best to ask what your options are and make sure you're getting straight answers--so if you get a store rep who seems too slick or pushy, call customer service. And checking multiple sources is good too.

On AT&T, you can cancel the data plan whenever--just wait until after the first 30 days, or the rebate is invalidated. I'd think that's standard practice for the other national carriers, though I'm not sure.

Some carriers used to insist that you renew the contract when making small changes to the plan. That, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $is$ $no$ $longer$ $the$ $case$ $with$ $any$ $major$ $carrier$--$it$ $only$ $applies$, $say$, $if$ $you$'$re$ $adding$ $a$ $line$.

Btw, I used to work for an AT&T dealer, and I always made an effort to give straight answers there. I don't have as much detail at this point for other carriers.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    It's a common take out there--I've heard lots of people think they couldn't make changes. With AT&T in particular (and to some extent on other carriers, overall), your contract says you will keep the line in service--whether or not it's on the same rate plan or with the same features, e.g. data plan. You can often add or remove features without affecting the length of the contract. It's always best to ask what your options are and make sure you're getting straight answers--so if you get a store rep who seems too slick or pushy, call customer service. And checking multiple sources is good too.

On AT&T, you can cancel the data plan whenever--just wait until after the first 30 days, or the rebate is invalidated. I'd think that's standard practice for the other national carriers, though I'm not sure.

Some carriers used to insist that you renew the contract when making small changes to the plan. That, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $is$ $no$ $longer$ $the$ $case$ $with$ $any$ $major$ $carrier$--$it$ $only$ $applies$, $say$, $if$ $you$'$re$ $adding$ $a$ $line$.

Btw, I used to work for an AT&T dealer, and I always made an effort to give straight answers there. I don't have as much detail at this point for other carriers.
    Thanks, Q. I will make sure I ask the right questions next week!
    tim
    In order to get the $100 Mail-in-rebate that will accompany the Centro you need either a data or text plan that is 20 bucks or higher. Unlimited texting for 20 bucks a month is the best way to go if you plan on removing later. Other options are 30 dollar a month family unlimited texting (if you are buying more than one phone, this 30 dollar package covers everyone's mail in rebate.) And the third option is the PDA unlimited data plan for 30 dollars.

As long as you are at a corporate store you can change/remove your features at any time without repurcussion (Just remember everything is prorated.) Certain agents such as amazon.com and others will have you sign a separate agreement that you will keep the data plan on there for 6 months.

You should receive a text message once your mail in rebate has been processed. At that point it is safe to remove the feature (usually after 30 days.)
    the price was released for the ATT centro 2 weeks ago as $299. my relative who owns 4 retail outlets in malls in the OC (calif) showed me his price list but with no release date.. This price is for wholesalers. They only make money on signing you up for a plan . No price for consumers with rebate. As of today Valentine day , no new news.........
    New mail in rebates will show up tomorrow the 15th as today is the expiration date of current mail in rebates. Expect to hear more information from AT&T officially soon. (I have no inside info even as an AT&T employee but this is all common sense.)
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I stopped by my local store and Ebony said that they would be getting them in as soon as TOMORROW!! She printed out the spec sheet for me. They had both black and white Centro's on the sheet. The White one had the funky pee green keys. The white one obscured the black one so I couldn't tell what the keys were. Eb said after going in the back to talk to the manager, that the white one was coming first. I am an AT&T customer and went into the store just to see what was what. I have to see the white one w/ the green keys to make up my mind. I have a Artic 680 and it has a few scratches after a year. The silver around the screen is all screwed up. I just think a black one would look better over time. Who am I kidding I will have to have a new one next year with the new OS!!!!

Timmy it is almost HERE!!! Eb said she would call me if they came in tomorrow. Not sure if that will happen, but just thought I would pass on some knowledge.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    I stopped by my local store and Ebony said that they would be getting them in as soon as TOMORROW!! She printed out the spec sheet for me. They had both black and white Centro's on the sheet. The White one had the funky pee green keys. The white one obscured the black one so I couldn't tell what the keys were. Eb said after going in the back to talk to the manager, that the white one was coming first. I am an AT&T customer and went into the store just to see what was what. I have to see the white one w/ the green keys to make up my mind. I have a Artic 680 and it has a few scratches after a year. The silver around the screen is all screwed up. I just think a black one would look better over time. Who am I kidding I will have to have a new one next year with the new OS!!!!

Timmy it is almost HERE!!! Eb said she would call me if they came in tomorrow. Not sure if that will happen, but just thought I would pass on some knowledge.
    Sweeeeeeeet! I've got the next four days off; I hope something happens during that time so I can actually see one!
    tim
    Sweeeeeeeet! I've got the next four days off; I hope something happens during that time so I can actually see one!
    This isn't palm related, but it is ATT rebate related.

if one of the stipulation of the rebate states that you must have the appropriate data plan, you must choose it.

I bought a moto Q9h a while back for $350 with a $150 MIR that states I must have a $40 data plan or a $20 messaging plan, so I picked the latter.

After a couple of weeks of sending in the rebate form, I was informed that they received it and are processing it. A couple of more weeks went by and I decided that the Q9h wasn't for me and I wanted to change it for the Blackberry 8820 which also on sale for $350 with a $50 MIR. I also sent that one in with the Blackberry data plan. A couple more weeks went by and I received my $150 in the mail and a few days ago I was informed that they're processing my $50 MIR. So in essence, I would be getting $200 reducing the cost to just $150.

ATT doesn't process the rebates, its a third party. Sometimes they just take a quick look at your account to make sure you have the right plan and thats it. I'm positive this is the same with the Centro MIR if its through ATT. And oh, you can log on to your account on ATT and change or cancel your data plan anytime after they send your rebate if you choose not to have a data plan. I did and it works. Just FYI.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts

Ok. I just got off the phone with my local AT&T rep. They MIGHT be able to order the Centro tomorrow, but if not, guaranteed on Monday. They will be $199 w/$99 rebate. Only white for now. Delivery about 2-3 business days thereafter.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    This isn't palm related, but it is ATT rebate related.

if one of the stipulation of the rebate states that you must have the appropriate data plan, you must choose it.

I bought a moto Q9h a while back for $350 with a $150 MIR that states I must have a $40 data plan or a $20 messaging plan, so I picked the latter.

After a couple of weeks of sending in the rebate form, I was informed that they received it and are processing it. A couple of more weeks went by and I decided that the Q9h wasn't for me and I wanted to change it for the Blackberry 8820 which also on sale for $350 with a $50 MIR. I also sent that one in with the Blackberry data plan. A couple more weeks went by and I received my $150 in the mail and a few days ago I was informed that they're processing my $50 MIR. So in essence, I would be getting $200 reducing the cost to just $150.

ATT doesn't process the rebates, its a third party. Sometimes they just take a quick look at your account to make sure you have the right plan and thats it. I'm positive this is the same with the Centro MIR if its through ATT. And oh, you can log on to your account on ATT and change or cancel your data plan anytime after they send your rebate if you choose not to have a data plan. I did and it works. Just FYI.
    Thanks, Outrigger. This helps a lot.

Also, congrats on the extra $50!!! You oughta keep doing that and see if you can get it down to where they're paying you!
    tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post

Ok. I just got off the phone with my local AT&T rep. They MIGHT be able to order the Centro tomorrow, but if not, guaranteed on Monday. They will be $199 w/$99 rebate. Only white for now. Delivery about 2-3 business days thereafter.
    Just to be sure, you are saying $199, less $99 rebate, for a net cost of $100?
    tim
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Just to be sure, you are saying $199, less $99 rebate, for a net cost of $100?

my mistake. $100 rebate-$99 final cost
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast