Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Sounds like it's time for me to call AT&T "major corporate accounts" division and ask about preordering the Centro. They're pretty responsive, in my experience.
    -- Josh
    I tried.
    Him at AT&T: "Centro? That's not out yet"
    Me: "Will be on Feb. 18. Any preordering info?"
    Him: "Sorry, we don't have that info available yet."
    Me: "Guess I'll call back in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help."

-- Josh
    February 19th, will be the launch date for AT&T Centro, assuming AT&T actually keeps a launch date for once.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    February 19th, will be the launch date for AT&T Centro, assuming AT&T actually keeps a launch date for once.
    ...and you heard this where?
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I tried.
    Him at AT&T: "Centro? That's not out yet"
    Me: "Will be on Feb. 18. Any preordering info?"
    Him: "Sorry, we don't have that info available yet."
    Me: "Guess I'll call back in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help."

-- Josh
    Rats, I just lost a $20 bet. I thought for sure you'd pull this off!

tim
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post

ok. my at&t store in Illinois told me today the white Centro will be available for order on Feb. 19 with delivery about one week later.

Count me in......
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    ok. my at&t store in Illinois told me today the white Centro will be available for order on Feb. 19 with delivery about one week later.

Count me in......
    Thanks, M! Count me in, too. Eight days to go!!!

tim
    After all this anticipation, I now feel puzzled. Despite being tethered to AT&T, I decided to go to a local Sprint store to check out the Centro. I played with it probably 30 minutes.

Didn't like it.

Doesn't feel like a Palm PDA, feels like a plastic cellphone.

Screen is crisp and clear, which makes up for its slightly smaller size. Even though I worried this would be my biggest problem, it wasn't a big deal.

The bigger deal is the keyboard. The keys are not raised as much as on the Treo 650 and they are packed closer together. It was much tougher to type on the Centro than on my 650. I suspect that I would get faster as I get used to it, but still it's not really even as good, in my opinion.

Since I've got to get something, I am going to consider the soon to be very cheap 680. The tales of woe I read on the 680 forum about battery life give me pause, but probably not enough pause to to dissuade me.

Kinda disappointing. I was enjoying the Centro forum. Now I guess I'll have to camp out in the 680 forum. Happy trails, folks,

-- Josh
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Advantages of the Centro:
    -Snappier performance due to optimized hardware
    -Brighter, whiter, crisper LCD
    -Louder speakerphone and possibly better voice quality
    -More usable memory (~66mb vs. ~62mb)
    -Newer apps/OS and better bundled software (DTG 10, PTunes Deluxe)
    -1.3 megapixel camera standard
    -Voice dialing rumored to be standard

Advantages of the 680:
    -Higher-capacity OEM-sized battery possible from Seidio (up to 1600mAh)
    -Larger LCD
    -Larger keyboard w/ "smile" pattern & raised keys
    -Fullsize SDHC slot (officially takes up to 4gb, unofficiall can take 16gb)
    -More accessories/peripherals available (especially cases & cradles)
    -Better build quality

So overall the Centro has more small positives going for it but for someone who is more of a power user and values screen/keyboard size, expansion card capacity and battery life, the 680 is the way to go, at least as far as I am concerned. Now, if unlocked 680s remains costlier than the Centro I might reconsider....but if both are in the neighborhood of $400 unlocked, the 680 is an easy win.

Or, to be more concise: The Centro is for "phone" users. The 680 is for "PDA" users.
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    I should think the Centro could handle an 8 GB MicroSD card. Has anyone seen/heard anything? Anyone have one who's willing to go to a store and test it?

(Since I have an 8 GB SDHC card now, I'd like to go straight to 8 on the Centro rather than get more cards than I'm likely to use.)

And as someone with a 680 myself right now, I'm planning to get the GSM Centro because of the smaller size and greater stability. Not looking forward to the smaller keyboard, though I think it'll still be usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Or, to be more concise: The Centro is for "phone" users. The 680 is for "PDA" users.
    Don't know if I would say that, as I am only looking at a centro as a pda replacement, I have tried PPC and even with styletap it is just too needlessly complicated, unfortunately for me, as it is as if palm has taken a giant dump on its core user base who have supported it before their "lucrative" smartphone phase. And as much as I would like to I just cannot wait until 2009, and "hope" that they make a decent pda, I can compromise on the centro, as It at least forces me to carry a phone, it has a passable camera compared to my zires.

as for the 680, its just a brick I thought about one when they finally amputated the useless antenna, but it was still a brick, and while my first impression of the centro was that it was a freaking toy, i can see that the portability of it is much closer to the pda units than the treos, its not much bigger than the razor phone I have been using.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post

Count me in......
    did you happen to hear anything about any other colors besides white?

I would hope they would have the black at launch, but all this talk of the white has me a bit nervous that I will have to wait even longer to get a more conservative color, (sorry I just hate silver, and white electronics )
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    After all this anticipation, I now feel puzzled. Despite being tethered to AT&T, I decided to go to a local Sprint store to check out the Centro. I played with it probably 30 minutes.

Didn't like it.

Doesn't feel like a Palm PDA, feels like a plastic cellphone.

Screen is crisp and clear, which makes up for its slightly smaller size. Even though I worried this would be my biggest problem, it wasn't a big deal.

The bigger deal is the keyboard. The keys are not raised as much as on the Treo 650 and they are packed closer together. It was much tougher to type on the Centro than on my 650. I suspect that I would get faster as I get used to it, but still it's not really even as good, in my opinion.

Since I've got to get something, I am going to consider the soon to be very cheap 680. The tales of woe I read on the 680 forum about battery life give me pause, but probably not enough pause to to dissuade me.

Kinda disappointing. I was enjoying the Centro forum. Now I guess I'll have to camp out in the 680 forum. Happy trails, folks,

-- Josh
    I, also, have read those tales of woe. As a matter of fact, that's how I discovered this forum; I was considering getting a 680 and wanted to know more info. I think there are too many issues that can't be overlooked, such as resets, battery life, size, older technology, etc. Personally, I think you will be happier typing on a smaller keyboard on a phone that actually works the way you want it to, when you want it to. Notice how many hundreds of posts there are in the Centro area, and very few of them deal with reset issues. Those that do are usually filled with tons of 3rd-party apps that caused the issue.

I say, wait a week, go hold a real one in your hands next week at ATT, ask if you can try one for a couple of days to help you make up your mind, see what they say. The worst that can happen is they say no.

tim
  13.    #33  
    I can attest to the Centro stability... it is really refreshing. I also like the littel things like the up and down arrows in SMS, so you know if the last text was from you or the other guy. Very nice.
    Thanks,

Chad Garrett

I work for AT&T Data support, we get pre launch announcements.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    I work for AT&T Data support, we get pre launch announcements.
    OK, that sounds relatively reliable!

Have you heard any other details, such as colors and pricing?

tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    OK, so PalmUK announced the Feb 14 launch on Feb 7. Will PalmUS announce the Feb 19 launch tomorrow, the 12th?
    tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    OK, so PalmUK announced the Feb 14 launch on Feb 7. Will PalmUS announce the Feb 19 launch tomorrow, the 12th?
    OK, so I was off by a day! Yesterday WAS the 12th. Still, no announcement. I guess they don't want everybody getting all excited and rushing in to buy one, or something.
    tim
    OK, so I was off by a day! Yesterday WAS the 12th. Still, no announcement. I guess they don't want everybody getting all excited and rushing in to buy one, or something.
    Palm gave two weeks advance announcement of UK launch.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Palm gave two weeks advance announcement of UK launch.
    Which makes me wonder, is it really going to hit next week or not?
    tim
    Most stores will be receiving them tomorrow (The 14th.) But Prolly won't be sellable for a few more days. Black will launch in march.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast