1.    #1  
    My sister is with Cingular and is now using the iphone. She has a Treo 650 that she is lending me. The hook: I am a Sprint customer. What do I need to do in order to get her Cingular Treo 650 to work on a Sprint account?

I'm new to this world - i've always just been a tradition cell phone user. The reason for the Treo handoff is b/c I need data while on the move, but I only have seven months left on my Sprint contract. I plan to go to Cingular at the end of the commitment. That said I do not want to buy new Sprint hardware, or get a rebate on new Sprint hardware by re-signing another two-year contract.

So, can the Cingular Treo 650 be reformatted to work with Sprint?

Thanks!
    It can't be done. Cingular uses a radio technology called GSM, while Sprint uses CDMA. The hardware is different; there is no software patch that will accomplish what you want. You would have to buy a new phone.

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! I'll stop my sis from shipping the hardware to me!!
    this isnt ENTIRELY true, as you can swap the radio board from a GSM model, change tokens with tokenwriter, and reflash with other providers CDMA software/rom. once you do that you should be able to get the phone to work on CDMA as long as the ESN is clear from the module you use.

Unfortunately since you are using sprint, you will need to find a sprint radio board to use as they keep a database of all valid ESN's and activate only sprint phones