Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm on AT&T with an aging 650, and have been waiting for the GSM Centro to be released. However, given that the 680 has as much memory as the Centro, true SD card support, and bigger screen and keyboard, I'm beginning to wonder if the Centro is a good idea.

Besides the better camera and somewhat smaller size, does the Centro have any notable advantages over the 680 that are not apparent from the basic specs and are worth waiting for?
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    That's an excellent question and one I'd like an answer to as well.

I can get a second hand 680 for just over $200 but wondering whether I should wait for the unlocked GSM version to get released in Asia Pacific instead (that could be a loooong wait!).
    Wai Leung
    Palm IIIx, Palm IIIc, Handspring Visor, GSPDA G18, T650
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    does the Centro have any notable advantages?
    One advantage may be price--the Centro is $99 at Sprint whereas the 680 is $300 at AT&T (yeah, there's a $150 mail-in rebate, but I really dislike those).

If the Centro is $99 out-the-door when it comes to AT&T that may be enough to tip the scales (unless the 680 drops to $50...).
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    size difference for those that care.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    The Cento has a 1+ megapixel camera, the Treo 680 camera is 640x480.

Also, with Sprint, the Centro came with some nice free bundled software. Documents to Go; pTunes, and... (I think there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head.) Perhaps the 680 has free bundled software as well, I have no idea.

Oh yeah, and the threaded SMS is nice.
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Given the rumors that are flying at this point (including that the Centro will be available for GSM within two weeks), it may not be that much of a wait. Hard to be sure yet what the impact on pricing will be--depends on whether they see the Centro as a successor to the 680 or an alternative for people looking for something different (in which case they'd want to sell through the inventory of 680s).

Quote Originally Posted by star444 View Post
    Also, with Sprint, the Centro came with some nice free bundled software. Documents to Go; pTunes, and... (I think there's more but I can't remember off the top of my head.) Perhaps the 680 has free bundled software as well, I have no idea.
    The 680 came with Docs to go and pTunes preloaded. More software on the CD too, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post

The 680 came with Docs to go and pTunes preloaded. More software on the CD too, I think.
    Yes, but I believe the Docs to go on the Centro is a newer version, and pTunes is the deluxe version. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post
    Yes, but I believe the Docs to go on the Centro is a newer version, and pTunes is the deluxe version. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
    Centro does come with the deluxe version of pTunes.
    Besides the better camera and somewhat smaller size, does the Centro have any notable advantages over the 680 that are not apparent from the basic specs and are worth waiting for?
    Palm's comparison table

http://www.palm.com/us/products/reso...martphone.html
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Palm's comparison tablel[/url]
    Yes, I drew up such a comparison. It shows the Centro is a bit smaller, which is either great or a hassle for typing & viewing. It also shows better camera (+1 for Centro) but
    microSD instead of SD/SDIO/MMC slot (+1 for 680).

I already bring my PalmOS device everywhere, and have done so since Day 1, so the smaller size won't change that.

I was hoping there'd be some other special feature (such as, Centro works on higher-speed AT&T network that 680 can't support).
    Last edited by Jeff DLB; 02/04/2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: add text
    Yes, I drew up such a comparison. It shows the Centro is a bit smaller... I was hoping there'd be some other special feature (such as, Centro works on higher-speed AT&T network that 680 can't support).
    Like mixes drinks at the end of a long day?

The previous posts on this topic (the what's Centro got that Treo 650-755 don't got themed ones) have opined that Centro compares favorably with all the previous Treo's.

I did consider getting 680 a while ago as I recognized my 650 is on its last legs. But the stuff about the battery being SOOOOO bad convinced me to hold out for whatever came next.

Can someone confirm that the Centro battery is indeed better than the ill-reputed 680?
    -- Josh
    Yes, I drew up such a comparison. It shows the Centro is a bit smaller, which is either great or a hassle for typing & viewing. It also shows better camera (+1 for Centro) but
    microSD instead of SD/SDIO/MMC slot (+1 for 680).

I already bring my PalmOS device everywhere, and have done so since Day 1, so the smaller size won't change that.

I was hoping there'd be some other special feature (such as, Centro works on higher-speed AT&T network that 680 can't support).
    how reliable is that comparison? did they change what they ship the 755p with? last i knew it didn't have instant messenger, didn't have threaded sms and it didn't have docs to go.

there are a lot of things i see 755p owners complaining about that the chart "claims" the 755p has.

and the size doesn't look in numbers like it's a big difference...but it's definately a big difference when you carry it around in your pocket.
    It's been a while since I've checked out Palm's comparison charts (until recently). I don't think they used to be as lame as it is now. I don't think there's any misinformation, it just needs compare about three times the features that it currently does.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    If you go to Palm's smartphone finder tool they list five features across the top, that when selected, will show you which smartphones offer those features. The five features are:

1.) enhanced text messaging -Get chat style texting and a dedicated inbox

2.) IM - Instant message your buddy lists on AIM, MSN, or Yahoo.

3.) wireless email - Keep on top of you personal or corporate inboxes, wherever you have wireless coverage.

4.) high speed web - Access the internet, stream media, or download large documents at broadband-like speeds within coverage area.

5.) enhanced camera - Capture crisp images with a higher megapixel camera.

All five features are available on the Centro; however, the Treo 680 disappears from the choices if you select: IM, high speed web, or enhanced camera.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by star444 View Post
    high speed web
    Will the GSM Centro support UMTS? If not, then on AT&T it will use EDGE, just like the 680 & 650, and "high speed web" will not apply.
    I thought EDGE was it's higher speed and HSPDA was the next step. Bottom line is it shouldn't support anything more than the 680 does. I guess there's differences in the upgrade path and web speed of CDMA and GSM phones. Where there was the jump to EVDO from the 650 to the 700/755p/Centro. But in GSM there was no web increase from the 650 to the 680?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I thought EDGE was it's higher speed and HSPDA was the next step. Bottom line is it shouldn't support anything more than the 680 does. I guess there's differences in the upgrade path and web speed of CDMA and GSM phones. Where there was the jump to EVDO from the 650 to the 700/755p/Centro. But in GSM there was no web increase from the 650 to the 680?
    For GSM:

GPRS = Treo 650
    EDGE = Treo 680/soon-to-be-Centro

HSPDA/3G is not available for PalmOS.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  18. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    GPRS = Treo 650
    Actually, the 650 has EDGE. The 680, though, has some sort of fine-tuning that does mean some improvement. The last GSM Treo with GPRS was the 600.

Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    HSPDA/3G is not available for PalmOS.
    Unfortunately, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Actually, the 650 has EDGE. The 680, though, has some sort of fine-tuning that does mean some improvement. The last GSM Treo with GPRS was the 600.
    I never got anything better than GPRS speed with my 650, I just assumed that it only had GPRS. After investigating on the interwebs, I stand corrected. I still like my 750 with it's 3G speed!
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Back to the original question, which really comes down to whether Centro is (will be) better than the Treo 680. I bet when AT&T Centro comes out, the 680 price will fall close to nothing as they try to dump the inventory. I could get a very cheap 680 as replacement for my aging 650, and keep the SD card I have, one less accessory to buy. So the Centro is cheap, but the 680 is about to be at least as cheap if not cheaper. I don't care about the camera. I think the form factor of each is fine. What do folks think is the best choice?
    -- Josh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast