Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    The Centro will not, unfortunately, be cheap if it ever gets released in Hong Kong, where handset subsidies are few and far between. The 680 is looking more and more attractive - I don't mind the size and think small phones are a bit girlie!
    Wai Leung
    Palm IIIx, Palm IIIc, Handspring Visor, GSPDA G18, T650
    Maybe a pink Centro. Always bet on black.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    So the Centro is cheap, but the 680 is about to be at least as cheap if not cheaper.
    -- Josh
    Well, I hope that we're both right then, because I am guessing that ATT will have to be competitive with their Centro, or people will tell them that they are going to Sprint for $39, or whatever it sells for by then. If that is true, then the 680 will have to be almost a "free phone with 2-year contract" deal. That would really make it a tough decision for some.

tim
    Doesn't anyone care more about the cost of the plans and what's included in the plans more than the cost of a phone? I thought Sprint was much better than Verizon and ATNT in that dept. Ok, plans and signal coverage, which isn't an option.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    Doesn't anyone care more about the cost of the plans and what's included in the plans more than the cost of a phone? I thought Sprint was much better than Verizon and ATNT in that dept. Ok, plans and signal coverage, which isn't an option.
    Your last line says it all, for me. I probably would have the Sprint Centro already, despite the fact that it is CDMA, but their coverage is horrible in SW Michigan. If Alltel (also CDMA) had it, I would be there in a heartbeat, because I've had their service before and was very satisfied. However, having had GSM for the past two years and seeing the convenience of switching SIM cards around, I would rather wait for ATT's, or an unlocked version, to come out.

It looks like the data plans are all about the same cost ($30-ish per month, unlimited), but maybe I'm missing something there. (?)

tim
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    I'm on AT&T with an aging 650, and have been waiting for the GSM Centro to be released. However, given that the 680 has as much memory as the Centro, true SD card support, and bigger screen and keyboard, I'm beginning to wonder if the Centro is a good idea.
    The Micro SD card caused me to pause before I got a Centro, but I got a 4GB one for $39 online and it doesn't stick out of the phone -- so it's a great improvement in my opinion.

The size is much better on the Centro -- I would get one when it is available. Software and experience wise it is exactly the same as the 700p I had before and it doesn't crash. I am very happy with it.

Glenn
    After all this Centro anticipation, I now feel puzzled. Despite being tethered to AT&T, I decided to go to a local Sprint store to check out the Centro. I played with it probably 30 minutes.

Didn't like it.

Doesn't feel like a Palm PDA, feels like a plastic cellphone.

Screen is crisp and clear, which makes up for its slightly smaller size. Even though I worried this would be my biggest problem, it wasn't a big deal.

The bigger deal is the keyboard. The keys are not raised as much as on the Treo 650 and they are packed closer together. It was much tougher to type on the Centro than on my 650. I suspect that I would get faster as I get used to it, but still it's not really even as good, in my opinion.

Since I've got to get something, I am going to consider the soon to be very cheap 680. The tales of woe I read on the 680 forum about battery life give me pause, but probably not enough pause to to dissuade me.

Kinda disappointing. I was enjoying the Centro forum. Now I guess I'll have to camp out in the 680 forum. Happy trails, folks,

-- Josh
    After using my Centro for a week now, it is hard to go back. I pick up my wife's 680... and yuck :-P. Once you go Centro, you don't go back!
    Thanks,

Chad Garrett
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12