Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I just received my Palm Centro and I am trying to setup bluetooth hotsync so I don't need to use the cable.

I followed the directions about setting up a Bluetooth serial port on my laptop. I set the Hotsync setup to use COM8 which is what the Bluetooth serial port was set to. The centro seems to see the laptop because it has the computer name on the hotsync screen but when I try to do the hotsync it comes back and says "Unable to initiate hotsync operation because the port is in use by another application".

I don't have any other bluetooth devices anywhere around so I am confused why it keeps giving me this message.

Any pointers to get this to work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom
    this took me forever to get working. one (strange) thing i find i have to do on winXP is open up "my bluetooth places" so i can see the centro device. if that window is not open, i can't synch. when it is open, and you initiate synch on the centro, you'll see the device in XP switch to "connected"
    I think there are a couple of options but the first one I think of that happens to me often is getting that message when I forget to turn the BT on the Centro on!
    great thinking to use bluetooth, so you don't waste time connecting the cable !
    Smart, you just saved like maybe 10 seconds !!
    Of course, the bluetooth hotsynch will take 5 minutes compared to 30 seconds using USB, but hey who's counting ?
    Not to mention that not that you're using bluetooth and draining the battery, you will have to connect the power cable to charge the phone, but when using the USB synch, your phone also recharges using the same USB cable so you don't need to use the power cable.

Oh well, I guess bluetooth sync would still be useful if you don't have a USB cable, but not otherwise !
    I would never buy a laptop unless it had BT. Primarily so I can sync wirelessly using BT. IMO using a cable is a PIA, just like using a wired headset is a PIA and the benefits of using BT to hotsync far outweigh the speed of the cable.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I use Bluetooth exclusively on my 700P and the wife's Centro. Her Centro has never had a cable on it, my 700P has been cabled twice. It may be slower, but it sure is convenient and when properly set up, never fails to work.

What I have done to avoid the all the time failure of turning on Bluetooth is to use Blue Fang to turn Bluetooth on and off as required.

Works very, very wel.

Ben
    Yes, it works "well" it's just 10x slower than USB. Bluetooth headset don't have that disadvantage compared to wired headsets. That one pretty much kills the whole thing, since with palm, the phone cant be used for anything else while syncing.
    Its not a big deal. The more often you sync the faster is it. I have a BT adapter on a notebook and that's no big deal either plus you can use it on a desktop since most don't have BT.
    Nice post!!!

Seriously how is this constructive?

Quote Originally Posted by user123455 View Post
    great thinking to use bluetooth, so you don't waste time connecting the cable !
    Smart, you just saved like maybe 10 seconds !!
    Of course, the bluetooth hotsynch will take 5 minutes compared to 30 seconds using USB, but hey who's counting ?
    Not to mention that not that you're using bluetooth and draining the battery, you will have to connect the power cable to charge the phone, but when using the USB synch, your phone also recharges using the same USB cable so you don't need to use the power cable.

Oh well, I guess bluetooth sync would still be useful if you don't have a USB cable, but not otherwise !
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    If you set up the syncing correctly (AKA eliminate all of the extraneous stuff), a sync won't take long at all. My BT sync takes 45 seconds and a good chunk of that is the 4cast internet sync. It can be done without having to go near the computer.
    Anyway... (geesh that guy needs to chill)

Which BT driver are you using on your lapper? Im using wincomm and I have the same problem. What I have found similar to random735's post is I have to make sure to check the connections in the HS icon in my system tray. If it says that port is unavailable then I shut down HS and disconnect the BT. Fire them both back up after about 10 seconds and it works.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Long, long ago, I installed Blue Fang to automagically enable the Bluetooth radio on the Treo so now, when I tap the Hot Sunk icon on the device, it automagically turns the Bluetooth radio on and hot sunk begins. I also have PDANet installed and found that when I have it set to enable Bluetooth, the hot sunk does not occur. One must also make sure the ports match and you have SERIAL enabled in the hot sunk manager.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Anyway... (geesh that guy needs to chill)

Which BT driver are you using on your lapper? Im using wincomm and I have the same problem. What I have found similar to random735's post is I have to make sure to check the connections in the HS icon in my system tray. If it says that port is unavailable then I shut down HS and disconnect the BT. Fire them both back up after about 10 seconds and it works.
    my laptop (HP dv2700) has built in BT, and it came preloaded with BT drivers in Vista. It also has built-in mic, webcam, wifi-g, Intel core-2-duo 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 14" 1280x800, extended battery. Better than macbook air, and half the price.
  14. 3FC
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I just tried setting up the bluetooth for hot sync and kept getting the message that the device was unable to connect. So I tried exiting the bluetooth and hot sync, then started the bluetooth back up and got the message that the port was being used by some other application. I started the hot sych software back up and this time it worked fine.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    For XP users, a solution that worked for me is to close hotsync manager and reopen it, I connected my Centro to the PC while the hotsync manager was open.

I suspect that the HotSync manager connects to Bluetooth when it's being opened.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Help please.

I'm using an older Toshiba laptop with Kensington USB Bluetooth dongle. Seems like install is fine. Bluetooth Places finds and lists the Centro. Centro finds the Toshiba. Went I try Hotsync from Centro, Toshiba pops up box saying Centro is trying to connect on Com 4. I have Com 4 selected in Hotsync serial settings. But, the Centro just times out after 30 seconds with no sync.

What I really want to do is just transfer files from Documents to Go from Toshiba to Centro. No other sync is required.

What am I missing????
    Quote Originally Posted by hotkey View Post
    Help please.

I'm using an older Toshiba laptop with Kensington USB Bluetooth dongle. Seems like install is fine. Bluetooth Places finds and lists the Centro. Centro finds the Toshiba. Went I try Hotsync from Centro, Toshiba pops up box saying Centro is trying to connect on Com 4. I have Com 4 selected in Hotsync serial settings. But, the Centro just times out after 30 seconds with no sync.

What I really want to do is just transfer files from Documents to Go from Toshiba to Centro. No other sync is required.

What am I missing????
    One solution would be to email each docs/sheets/ppt to yourself and open them on your Centro.

I sync using my Centro's BT with Outlook 2003 using Com 4. Make sure that
    "Local" and "Local USB" are checked when tapping on the HotSync Manager.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I have a Toshiba laptop with vista 64 bit home premium, tried to hotsync through bluetooth didn't work until I went to toshiba's site to search for drivers and updates,

I downloaded Bluetooth monitor and it all works successfully.
    Yes it does. BT hot syncing is still done on the 2 Centros in the family, the Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BCVP View Post
    I think there are a couple of options but the first one I think of that happens to me often is getting that message when I forget to turn the BT on the Centro on!
    thanks- Ive been on the road so long and havent sync'd in eons and here I am shuttiing down programs and rebooting and lo and behold, my BT is off on the device. just shoot me...
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast