1.    #1  
    Hello All!

I just got a Treo 680 (Palm OS of course!) - because my Treo 600 was almost rotten. I was quite happy with the Treo 600 (beside some bad noise especially in his late years...) and wanted to buy a new Treo while Palm Inc is still
    alive (Seems that their managers try to fix this[selling palm OS, making Windooze phones...)

I am almost happy with the Treo 680 (after the SW update fixed the main battery issue). What I am strongly disappointed is that the streamline user
    interface of the Treo 600 is gone:
    - They added two keys (red/green) - Ok sometimes you touched the screen of the Treo 600 by accident
    - They added may additional keypresses and a completely useless mainscreen
    (that one with the useless picture)
    - date display is missing on the mainscreen
    -if you decide to use the dialpad screen as mainscreen, then date and time are missing
    - from the dialpad (phone) start creen you have to go right FOUR (crazy!) times to reach the dial list
    - or THREE times to reach the address list.
    - Why did they forget that they have a 5-WAY multifunction center key??
    (up and down in the phone view have NO FUNCTION at all and cannot get one assigned)

This for sure opens a gap for third party software (tried butler, but I am not fully satisfied with it), but kills the streamline userinterface Palm was
    known for. Am I the only one who misses this?

Best wishes from old Europe,

Marcovaldo
    I never had a 600, so I can't compare it. However, I do agree that the standard phone app is lacking in many ways. I started to use takephone from:

http://www.shsh.com

You can configure it in different ways, it was too much for me at first. But after setting it up to skip certain main pages with phone button press, setting up search methods and displayed items, I find that I can't use my 680 without it. I use the find page as a starting page with the ibar displayed. give it a look, you can make it as streamlined as you want -- there's a free trial.

I don't work there, just a happy takephone user.

cheers
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    I started to use takephone....
    I don't work there, just a happy takephone user.
    Hi,

Thanks for the tip. It seems as I will be a happy and registered takephone user
    soon.. (this beast streamlines searching/launching/dialing)

So I have to look for a replacement or fix of the PalmWikiDD
    (This one did wikilike jumping/inserting between memo pages; I used it to
    keep lots of information in a structured way..)

Kind greetings from old Europe,

Marcovaldo