Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    I think I may have found the files creating the BT crash. It looks like there are three HotSync files, two the start with hs_NAV, I think and a hs_Resource file. If I restore those, BT crashes when I enter the BT app.

Unfortuantely I am away from my PC right now so I can't research more. Currently I have the 755p ROM installed but no HotSync name since I didn't HotSync after doing the upgrade. I can't find the specific file that includes your devive name. It's not one of the three I mentioned and it's not in Saved Preferneces. Anyone have an idea?

Hopefully we are closing in on the solution.
    Okay, I'm back at my PC and all is working. I needed to HotSync to get my device name back. The files I did not restore are the BT ones freviously mentioned and HsNav, HsNav_enUS, HsSysResource68K.

BT now works - no reset as soon as I open the app. And I've paired with my GPS and handsfree device.

Regarding the PRL update; I had 20227 after the upgrade and asked Sprint to flag my device for an update, which they did. However, I was not able to successfully run the PRL update until I had HotSynced and my Treo had a device name. The update ran without problem after that and I am now at 20230.

So far my 700p is a lot snappier.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    A couple of observations after a successful install:

1. My version of WinZip wouldn't unzip the files properly. Once I switched over to WinRar, everything extracted the way it should.

2. I had never updated the Rom on my 700p, due to the numerous horror stories of dtmf tones. The 755p update would not take until I updated to 700p MR 1.10. After that the update ran flawlessly.

3. I was able to do a full restore using NVBackup with no issues.

Now I'm off to explore the possibilities with my new 727.5p

Thanks to everyone who put in the effort to make this possible!
    Last edited by gearhead; 02/19/2008 at 06:27 AM.
    727.5p, that's good. So the 755p casing only rates a 27.5, huh? I like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    No, the update for 755P does not have the 'Launch from anywhere' nor the 'screen off while on call' features which are on the Centro. We have to wait until an update is released for the Centro so someone can hack it.
    off topic but, no reason to hack anything....Just use Phone technician by hobbyist- That has what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I think I may have found the files creating the BT crash. It looks like there are three HotSync files, two the start with hs_NAV, I think and a hs_Resource file. If I restore those, BT crashes when I enter the BT app.

Unfortuantely I am away from my PC right now so I can't research more. Currently I have the 755p ROM installed but no HotSync name since I didn't HotSync after doing the upgrade. I can't find the specific file that includes your devive name. It's not one of the three I mentioned and it's not in Saved Preferneces. Anyone have an idea?

Hopefully we are closing in on the solution.
    Markey,

For the life of me I could NOT find HSNav but could find the other files you mentioned; HsNav_enUS, HsSysResource68K. How did you stumble upon this?

Regards,

Jim
    Last edited by DrCJ; 02/18/2008 at 11:12 PM.
    i have tried and tried this update, my card shows palm,rom and DSstore. when i click on rom updater it starts and gets to the ventura part, above that though it reads No ROM image dir found? above that it reads,check lowrider device version: does not start with part type set to dulPartMSysLow?? Any thoughts?
    What would happen if i just hot synced the two prc files to the device? Awaiting anxiously, thanks in advance don
    p.s. after typing ventura i get an error ventura file missing or corrupt
    also installing from device?
    Last edited by dlboyd41; 02/19/2008 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ View Post
    Markey,

For the life of me I could NOT find HSNav but could find the other files you mentioned; HsNav_enUS, HsSysResource68K. How did you stumble upon this?

Regards,

Jim
    Jim - Did this fix your problem as well? I hope so.

I found the offending file(s) by mistake, as it relates to the Bluetooth problem. I had a few hours away from my PC but with much of that time to kill. My Treo worked fine with the virgin ROM but I needed a few critical apps while I was out (DateBk6, Chatter and Butler). My intention was not to work on the BT problem at this point.

Using Resco Backup, I restored application groups for the apps I needed. I then checked BT and it was not crashing. I then decided to restore all of the apps I would ultimately want from my backup and run another backup so I’d have a new baseline for testing the BT problem later on. After I did that, BT still worked but I didn’t have any of my registration codes.

The Prefs group in Resco contained a BT file, Net Prefs and Saved Prefs. I restored Net and Saved, did a soft reset and BT still worked. However, my registration codes would not take. I realized that my Treo did not have a device name since I hadn’t been HoySynced. At this point I posted a message asking if anyone knew the file that contains your device name information (post # 121 in this thread).

While I waited for a response (which never came), I hunted around for any file that seemed related to HotSync since I figured one would contain my Treo’s HotSync name. I restored the three that started with ‘hs’ and soft reset. It was then that the Treo crashed when I went into the BT app. WooHoo, I had narrowed the problem down to one of three files!

I couldn’t work on it any more at that point so I did a restore with my new baseline configuration and confirmed BT worked without restoring the three ‘hs’ files from my 700p backup. I figured when I got home to HotSync, it would bring back my device name and registrations that depended on the device name would work, as should BT. Turns out I was correct.

The entire troubleshooting process took about 15-minutes. I literally was looking for a needle in a haystack and found the needle right off the bat (I got lucky). My 700p has never been as fast or stable as it is now and I can patiently wait for the Linux Palm OS as my Treo now does what I need it to. Now, out of curiosity, does anyone know what Palm OS file contains your device name?
    Jim - Did this fix your problem as well? I hope so.

I found the offending file(s) by mistake, as it relates to the Bluetooth problem. I had a few hours away from my PC but with much of that time to kill. My Treo worked fine with the virgin ROM but I needed a few critical apps while I was out (DateBk6, Chatter and Butler). My intention was not to work on the BT problem at this point.

Using Resco Backup, I restored application groups for the apps I needed. I then checked BT and it was not crashing. I then decided to restore all of the apps I would ultimately want from my backup and run another backup so I’d have a new baseline for testing the BT problem later on. After I did that, BT still worked but I didn’t have any of my registration codes.

The Prefs group in Resco contained a BT file, Net Prefs and Saved Prefs. I restored Net and Saved, did a soft reset and BT still worked. However, my registration codes would not take. I realized that my Treo did not have a device name since I hadn’t been HoySynced. At this point I posted a message asking if anyone knew the file that contains your device name information (post # 121 in this thread).

While I waited for a response (which never came), I hunted around for any file that seemed related to HotSync since I figured one would contain my Treo’s HotSync name. I restored the three that started with ‘hs’ and soft reset. It was then that the Treo crashed when I went into the BT app. WooHoo, I had narrowed the problem down to one of three files!

I couldn’t work on it any more at that point so I did a restore with my new baseline configuration and confirmed BT worked without restoring the three ‘hs’ files from my 700p backup. I figured when I got home to HotSync, it would bring back my device name and registrations that depended on the device name would work, as should BT. Turns out I was correct.

The entire troubleshooting process took about 15-minutes. I literally was looking for a needle in a haystack and found the needle right off the bat (I got lucky). My 700p has never been as fast or stable as it is now and I can patiently wait for the Linux Palm OS as my Treo now does what I need it to. Now, out of curiosity, does anyone know what Palm OS file contains your device name?
    Markey,

Yes, yes, it did fix the problem with BT and it works great, HOWEVER, another problem emerged. After I got over the euphoria of being able to use BT, I tried to update my e-mail. To my surprise, tapping on Versamail or Snapper resulted in NO CONNECTION to the network. I did a hard reset and everything worked out as it should with Network connection being prompted by the e-mail application and starting the data connection just fine. When I restore, there is NO CONNECTION, but, if I go to Prefs->Network->Connect then it connects just fine and I can then go to the e-mail application of choice and download the mail. Similar with XWeather as well. No go without starting up the connection from the Network preferences first.

Do you have any thoughts about this? I am just as happy to have BT functional in this state with no cellphone while driving laws. The act of going to Prefs to start the connection is a small price to pay for the BT. I agree that the phone has never been more stable than now.

I have no answer with regard to the device name. About the only way I would know to test it would be to reflash the ROM and then go to hotsync and it should ask for a device name. You could then use Resco Explorer or FileZ to see which had changed.

Regards,

Jim
    damn you guys are thick headed.
    stop restoring your Treo using your OLD TREO 700P 1.10 SPRINT MR profile.
    You need to treat this as a NEW DEVICE.
    Start fresh. Delete your HOTSYNC name or rename it and then redo your old name from scratch.
    reinstall each app-
    Your making a headache for yourselves for no reason.
    I havent had one problem with bluetooth, chatter, Xweather, neeews , NOTHING because of that exact reason..

Just my 2 cents. no need to if you want to bother yourself with nonsense, be my guest!
    I noticed some people have had trouble extracting the files from the Zip archive. When I looked at the archive, I also noticed it was built on a Mac. I wonder if the extra Mac stuff (__MACOSX directory, .DS_Store files) is causing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbone View Post
    damn you guys are thick headed.
    stop restoring your Treo using your OLD TREO 700P 1.10 SPRINT MR profile.
    You need to treat this as a NEW DEVICE.
    Start fresh. Delete your HOTSYNC name or rename it and then redo your old name from scratch.
    reinstall each app-
    Your making a headache for yourselves for no reason.
    I havent had one problem with bluetooth, chatter, Xweather, neeews , NOTHING because of that exact reason..

Just my 2 cents. no need to if you want to bother yourself with nonsense, be my guest!
    Carbone,

Thanks for your insight. Personally, I find it great fun to try to figure out why something does NOT work. It gives me great peace when I find the answer and I feel rewarded for the answer. Perhaps it is a hold over from military days when things were not always able to be started over from scratch and you had to go with what you found and make the best of it.

Honestly, I have multiple medical applications that are owned by me but, for reasons known only to Skyscape, will require repurchase to use with the "new but old" platform. I do not relish the thought of chunking out nearly the cost of a new phone to get this honor. So, in my thickheaded way, I have looked to answer the question. Markey did a great service for those of us who cannot go the more pure reinstall of each application route that you took.

No harm, no foul. You are right,as gtwo on this forum suggested as well, that the only solid way is the clean install way. I wish it were so simple.

Regards,

Jim
    Carbone,

Thanks for your insight. Personally, I find it great fun to try to figure out why something does NOT work. It gives me great peace when I find the answer and I feel rewarded for the answer. Perhaps it is a hold over from military days when things were not always able to be started over from scratch and you had to go with what you found and make the best of it.

Honestly, I have multiple medical applications that are owned by me but, for reasons known only to Skyscape, will require repurchase to use with the "new but old" platform. I do not relish the thought of chunking out nearly the cost of a new phone to get this honor. So, in my thickheaded way, I have looked to answer the question. Markey did a great service for those of us who cannot go the more pure reinstall of each application route that you took.

No harm, no foul. You are right,as gtwo on this forum suggested as well, that the only solid way is the clean install way. I wish it were so simple.

Regards,

Jim
    Jim Im curious if the software's registration you refer to is tied to hotsync ID?

If so, (and no offense if you knew this) than you can still keep that software and keep your hotsync ID with a new install.

I wont go further in case you already knew this but if you didnt and I can help Ill post further.

Good luck and let me know.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Markey,

Yes, yes, it did fix the problem with BT and it works great, HOWEVER, another problem emerged. After I got over the euphoria of being able to use BT, I tried to update my e-mail. To my surprise, tapping on Versamail or Snapper resulted in NO CONNECTION to the network. I did a hard reset and everything worked out as it should with Network connection being prompted by the e-mail application and starting the data connection just fine. When I restore, there is NO CONNECTION, but, if I go to Prefs->Network->Connect then it connects just fine and I can then go to the e-mail application of choice and download the mail. Similar with XWeather as well. No go without starting up the connection from the Network preferences first.

Do you have any thoughts about this? I am just as happy to have BT functional in this state with no cellphone while driving laws. The act of going to Prefs to start the connection is a small price to pay for the BT. I agree that the phone has never been more stable than now.
    You might try not restoring NetPrefs and NetworkDB from your backup and going with those files from the 755p update. I did not have that problem so I'm only guessing.
    Carbone,

Regards,

Jim
    I pretty much agree with Jim on this one. I got a great deal of personal satisfaction in figuring out what ailed my upgrade (mainly because it didn't take too long). Additionally, I think many of us went the route of restoring from our 700p backups because that was successful for the majority of people. I am actually surprised that the problems some of us had didn't occur with everyone. The Bluetooth issue being a prime example.
    Markey,

I have no answer with regard to the device name. About the only way I would know to test it would be to reflash the ROM and then go to hotsync and it should ask for a device name. You could then use Resco Explorer or FileZ to see which had changed.

Regards,

Jim
    Jim - I don't know if this is related to your connection problem but look at this thread, http://chatteremailforum.com/index.p...ewtopic&t=4563

I was working fine until about 5pm today when I could no longer send e-mail from any of my three accounts. Apparantly it's a Sprint issue. When I logged into my Sprint account I was prompted to change my user name and password. I did that, waited about 20 minutes, reprovisioned the phone and now all is working. While I grew impatient I changed my SMTP settings to the IP addresses but that didn't work. Once I changed back to the name settings, things started flowing again. I suspect Sprint just needed time to update the account information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Jim Im curious if the software's registration you refer to is tied to hotsync ID?

If so, (and no offense if you knew this) than you can still keep that software and keep your hotsync ID with a new install.

I wont go further in case you already knew this but if you didnt and I can help Ill post further.

Good luck and let me know.
    Hdhntr,

Actually, no offense at all. The Skyscape products use a complicated scheme of registration. It is NOT tied to Hotsync as far as I can tell. When I do a partial restore and leave out the SAVED and UNSAVED preferences Skyscape will not work. If I restore only the SAVED preferences then Skyscape does not work. If I restore only the UNSAVED preferences, the Skyscape products do not work. If I restore both and exclued all the System stuff (which you can do with Resco Backup Pro) Skyscape does not work. If I install the System files and the SAVED and UNSAVED preferences Skyscape works. I have not had the time yet to do a file by file in the System restore to check this out.

I would be interested in your post of the solutions no matter what as I work through this.

Regards,

Jim
    You might try not restoring NetPrefs and NetworkDB from your backup and going with those files from the 755p update. I did not have that problem so I'm only guessing.
    Marky,

I have already excluded these files and still this problem persists. On a happy note, if I go under Preferences->Network->Options->Preferences and check to notify me if attempting an internet connection then it WORKS. As far as I am concerned this is a small price to pay for full functionality with only one other button push to establish the connection with the network. Somehow, in the update the link to connect was broken between those apps using the Network and the Network call to establish communication. If I use the Launcher->Preferences->Network-->Connect, it always works as well as what I described above.

Regards,

Jim
    Marky,

Just a side note to everyone here, but I am absolutely ecstatic about BT after this update. Prior to the update, I could not keep BT connected for longer than 5 minutes at a time and it would drop connections. Now BT has stayed connected and synced for in excess of 9-10 hours which is the longest I have tested it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did Palm not offer this to those of us who paid for the 700P and got no relief. I am very happy and feel like I have a new phone.

Kind regards for all your work,

Jim
    So is there any news on using a A2DP headset for control? That is, to use the forward, back, play and stop buttons on say a Motorola S9? Ever since the update it hasn't worked. (I have the latest SAG version)

That's the only adverse affect I've seen from the update. I'll live with it since everything else seems to have improved.

Thanks
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast