1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if NV Backup gets rid of orphaned files, as other backup programs do? Thanks.
    I think it just makes a copy. I don't really want it to get rid of anything. I just want to restore my Treo back like it was.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Backup applications are not cleanup applications.

NVBackup does not clean up.
  4.    #4  
    But some backup applications, such as Backup Buddy, says "removing orphaned files" after it backs up. So I was wondering if NV Backup did that, as well.
    I use NV Backup, RescoBackup and have used BackupMan and none of them remove orphaned files. I woudlnt want them to. Now mayeb backup Buddy does but maybe its an option ?
  6.    #6  
    Never saw it as an option, but I can see everyone's points about this. Thanks all!
    Since you guys are discussing backup programs, which do you recommend? I have had Backup Buddy Pro VFS for years and after a clean Treo install it wont let me restore on a file-by-file basis, it just makes me dump EVERYTHING back onto the treo in one fell swoop (which usually causes resets).

Which of the aforementioned backup progs allow restoring files by selecting some files at a time instaed of all at once?

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse View Post
    Since you guys are discussing backup programs, which do you recommend? I have had Backup Buddy Pro VFS for years and after a clean Treo install it wont let me restore on a file-by-file basis, it just makes me dump EVERYTHING back onto the treo in one fell swoop (which usually causes resets).

Which of the aforementioned backup progs allow restoring files by selecting some files at a time instaed of all at once?
    Princess:

NVBackup is da bomb, and it is FREE! It allows restore of individual files, or the entire Treo. It even restores the java stuff in working order.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Princess:

NVBackup is da bomb, and it is FREE! It allows restore of individual files, or the entire Treo. It even restores the java stuff in working order.
    I love NV Backup, but I have never been able to just restore random files. It backs up everything at one time, showing me all the files as they scroll by, and then if I restore it will only restore everything.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    NV Backup you can restore individual files. Highlight a Backup. Then select Selective Restore from the dropdown menu and select the files you want to restore.The select restore from the menu and it will restore that individual file.
    I use the 'Selective Restore' quite often with NVBackup. Especially, when switching to another device. I use it to move my Quicken files around.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Princess:

Agree with Tonylmiller. Don't think you can beat NVBackup. I've only used a few of the backup programs out there, but I don't need to try any of the others. This one is free. It does a pristine (byte for byte) restore of individual files or the whole device (you cannot tell the difference - well, I can't). Various options for backups and scheduling. Hotsync can't touch it.

This is on a 650 though. And it does not backup pictures and videos you've captured. I think one or two other b/u programs (shareware) do. But since NV backup doesn't I just make sure to copy important pics to card.
    Last edited by sblanter; 02/04/2008 at 09:41 PM.
    Also, NVBackup can reliably restore only to similar hardware/OS. Supposedly, even trying to restore to the same type of hardware, but with a different or upgraded OS, may not work. You would want to make sure that for extreme cases like this you have other means to restore your data, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    NV Backup you can restore individual files. Highlight a Backup. Then select Selective Restore from the dropdown menu and select the files you want to restore.The select restore from the menu and it will restore that individual file.
    Well see, you learn something new everyday here on treocentral.

Now, if I only knew what half of those files belong too it'd help.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Thanks for the responses guys... You sold me! I have downloaded and backed up using NVBackup last night. So lets see if that works for me... I'm going to hard reset and start from fresh 700P tonight or tomorrow.

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Will NV backup restore specific settings and versamail account settings?

I am going to need to wipe the memory of a bunch of old junk and don't want to have to go through the process of setting everything back up. Just wondering if NV Backup will allow me to restore these things.

Thanks
    I love NV Backup.

But speaking of Backup Buddy, it refuses to backup a file on my 680 called "Shim Logs." I have to have BB do a selective backup... which then means it doesn't backup anything new on my Treo ("new" since I set the previous selective backup).

Can anything be done about this?