1.    #1  
    I just saw this at the Palm Infocenter...some people may be interested.

From the article :

According to a post made to the official TeleNav forums by Gina, a TeleNav employee, version 5.0 of the TeleNav GPS Navigator has just been released for the Sprint version of the Palm Centro...

I thought this part was interesting. I can't wait till that happens, if it ever does :
    ...Unfortunately, the rumored internal aGPS capabilities of the Centro have not been magically unlocked and the usual Bluetooth GPS receiver is still required...

The full article is here
    ok so i jumped. i downloaded the 30 day trial on my centro and am trying to use it with my bluetooth receiver, which i've already paired. however, when i try to load my current location, i get "gps signal weak. please find a better sky view."

my receiver is right in front of a window under an open sky. what is wrong?

edit: ok, i restarted and selected my gps device. all is working now! TELENAV ROCKSSSS!!! OMG!!!

anyway, it's a little annoying how my receiver won't lock into a signal instantly; i've gotten the "gps signal weak" prompt a few times already. but i'll fiddle around with it this month...
    Last edited by michelle; 02/02/2008 at 09:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Michelle,
    Where did you download the trial?
    home page: http://telenav.com/

too bad our version doesn't support live traffic

ok my initial impressions:
    i don't know if it's the software of if it's my receiver but getting a gps signal is sometimes hit/miss and i get that "gps signal too weak. please move..." and then i have to wait, turn things off/on, restart and try again. so connection is not consistent. but navigating around is easy after that...

really hoping our version will support live traffic later on...

here's something i noticed. i have my Location OFF set on my centro, yet it's still able to function/communicate w/the gps receiver. is it because it's communicating via bluetooth? what difference will it make if i switch Location ON?
    Last edited by michelle; 02/03/2008 at 01:22 AM.
    here's the forum posting that was mentioned in the PalmInfoCenter article, regarding the update for Centro:

http://forum.telenav.com/viewtopic.php?t=5568
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Telenav looks really cool but why spend $10 monthy plus a bluetooth reciever when you could buy a portable gps for 175.00?

I am thinking about both and I am unsure which way to go.

Thanks
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    The apparent advantage Telenav has over other applications/appliances is that the maps are supposedly updated more frequently, I think 4 times a year vs once a year with other apps/appliances.
    I prefer TomTom to TeleNav. I don't want to be on my own just because I am out of the Sprint coverage area and Telenav can't download the next map.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyV View Post
    Telenav looks really cool but why spend $10 monthy plus a bluetooth reciever when you could buy a portable gps for 175.00?

I am thinking about both and I am unsure which way to go.

Thanks
    I like Telenav because I always have my cell phone with me, but would not carry around a portable gps navigation unit. So, even when I'm in someone else's car, my Telenav can come to the rescue. Since the internal gps is not unlocked on the Centro I do have to carry an external gps; however, the model I use (Holux GPSlim240) is about the size of a usb drive, so it slips in my purse quite easily.

I travel a lot for work, usually flying, then renting a car, so enjoy the peace of mind knowing I always have Telenav with me.

Also, I'm not inclined to purchase a portable gps navigation unit as the technology changes so quickly; and I'm sure I would soon wish I had the "newer, faster" model. It's a given that I will update my phones regularly, and whenever Telenav puts out a software update, all I have to do is download the new version.

I'm sure the arguments for and against are as varied as the arguments used to select our phones. How you will use it and personal preference will definitely come into play.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    All good points, star. I'm pretty much convinced that I want to get a bluetooth unit and some software, however, I can't go for a 'monthly charge' solution.

I'm not so worried about traffic updates, just directions and help getting "unlost". So its not something I'll use every day, or even every week. I do travel like you do, occassionally, where I have to get a rental and get around an unfamiliar city.

Also, I'm hoping the software will be useful when walking around; whether downtown, suburban, or rural. Not just for "highway".

So, it doesn't sound like Telnav is my best choice. I need a 'one time' reasonable cost. Anyone know which software would be best for my usage model / cost requirements?
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    The apparent advantage Telenav has over other applications/appliances is that the maps are supposedly updated more frequently, I think 4 times a year vs once a year with other apps/appliances.
    I have a Pioneer GPS head unit in my truck. Pioneer uses Telenav for their maps. I've had the same unit for 4 years and have bought 3 sets of Pioneer's yearly update disks. Not one of them has my street on it and my street, although somewhat new and in a new subdivision, is over 5 years old now. Last time I looked on Telenav's site for my address it still wasn't listed. Telenav sucks, in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    All good points, star. I'm pretty much convinced that I want to get a bluetooth unit and some software, however, I can't go for a 'monthly charge' solution.

I'm not so worried about traffic updates, just directions and help getting "unlost". So its not something I'll use every day, or even every week. I do travel like you do, occassionally, where I have to get a rental and get around an unfamiliar city.

Also, I'm hoping the software will be useful when walking around; whether downtown, suburban, or rural. Not just for "highway".

So, it doesn't sound like Telnav is my best choice. I need a 'one time' reasonable cost. Anyone know which software would be best for my usage model / cost requirements?
    You sound similar to me, I want a gps for the phone to just use "as needed" to get unlost of find a new place in an unfamilur part of town. I do travel maybe once or twice a year, but then I take my standalone Garmin 2720. But in DC last year it would have been nice to have a GPS while walking, altho we only got lost once on foot.

The advantages to a sub like Telenav is supposedly updated maps on a frequent basis. the advantages to software like Garmin, TomTom & Street Atlas is buy once and use regardless of network coverage. Everyone is different thus the reason for different products!

I made a chart to compare the features I wanted: http://starlinkdss.com/pdagps.jpg

Right now I'm tring the trial of Telenav while waiting to recieve the Garmin software. I had ordered it, but was told it's out of stock and they cancelled my order so I'll wait a few weeks and see what's on sale then.
    telenave seems Ok, couldn't find a Wal-mart even tho I was sitting in the parking lot, but a new road less than a year old, was all ready updated.
    i tried signing up with telenav says i'm already registered.. not with sprint i'm not
    I finally figured out how to add addresses and look up businesses on the web and synchronize them to my Navigator's "Favorites". If anyone is interested here is the link: my.telenav.com