1.    #1  
    Sorry for yet another noob question on GPS. I've been searching several boards for a few hours, and have some answers, but have more questions.
    I just got a 755p, and then the freedom keychain gps. I don't travel much, but looking for something cheap to have in the few cases I might need it. I have a Garmin 2720 Gps for the car when I travel, so this is more for fun, or when touring a new city by foot, maybe once a year, so that's the reason for looking for a cheap alternative vs another $100 product to not get used.

I see Tom Tom most frequently mentioned, and that would be nice, but not woth the $ for me.
    I doubt there's a chance I can use my existing Gamin City Navigator software on my Palm, even if I buy some palm software from Garmin (say $30ish not a $100 w/card)
    I have some old (very) DeLorme Street Atlas 8, & SA Road Warrior edition (what ever that means), plus SA Solus Pro 2.0 (palm software). I have not tried to load any of these yet, I may later try.

For Free I can use where am I/Google to see where I'm at at a given point, and that will be helpfull sometimes. And Earthcomber seems my best free choice. It hooks up the the GPS, shows where I'm at real time. I haven't tried to actually use it yet tho, to say find this hotel, or a place to eat, or a certain store, I will need to play more with it.

I guess when I travel I can just get Telnav for that month, but I'd rather have a permant alternative just in case I'm out in my own city and say I need to get to a store I've never been to and unsure the way to get there from where I'm at.

From my needs, it appears SA 2008 might be my cheapest soloution, and that's the price range I'm looking at. My wife finally gave me a dirty look for buying all these new toys

TIA for any advice
    Treo 755p (w/new update)
    Sprint w/data plan

Bryan
    Last edited by 08HybridOK; 02/04/2008 at 03:02 AM.
    I am very happy with SA 2008 - as a cheap alternative :-)

Earthcomer also works, but I like the maps and the routing better on SA.

Telenav was too expensive and put my Freedom mini into an odd, terse GPS mode. (It gave enough info for Telenav, but not enough for other apps.)
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Unfortunately, as far as GPS navigation goes there's just no free option that's any good. Really, you pay for what you get. My vote still goes to TomTom. I've used it for ages on my Treo, works great.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    I think you MIGHT be able to use CN NT that you have for your car on Mobile Navigator XT. I have Garmin and TomTom and they are both good products. I like Garmins maps a bit better (More detailed).
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, I'll shoot an e-mail to garmin, I just couldn't find palm software ontheir site, aside from the whole package, software & card (w/gps as a 2nd option). It's worth a try.
    Aside from that I'll be looking for SA08 on sale somewhere, so far $35 from amazon is the cheapest I see today. Not bad price, and in a few weeks i might be able to get away with more "toys"

I havn't played w/ earthcomber much. but say I'm out and want to go to best buy, or a hotel, but don't know an address, will it look it up and give directions? Or only what it has in the look lists?

Thanks again.

added: Searching more, and I found Garmin software only (I assume w/card as it appears hard coded to gather) for $80ish on amazon. obviously I'm very familur, therfore more comfortable, with Garmin look & feel. I don't suppose there's a trial version of SA available anywhere to see if I can get away with the cheaper option?

Oh and which options can find cheap gas prices by location (from gps location)?
    Last edited by 08HybridOK; 02/03/2008 at 11:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 08HybridOK View Post
    added: Searching more, and I found Garmin software only (I assume w/card as it appears hard coded to gather) for $80ish on amazon. obviously I'm very familur, therfore more comfortable, with Garmin look & feel. I don't suppose there's a trial version of SA available anywhere to see if I can get away with the cheaper option?
    If you want to try out Mobile XT for Palm, just download the latest version 4.10.30p and give it a try.
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00378-00

You will not be able to load your detailed maps, due to needing unlock codes, but if you download one of the base maps (non routable) on the same page, you will be able to see how the program works off-line
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I've been using Garmin Mobile XT with my 755p and Freedom GPS, and very happy with the results (I paid $75 for the software on the microSD card).

This seems like a natural fit for you if you already have a Garmin GPS. The very same look and feel as the standalone Garmins.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoHappy View Post
    I've been using Garmin Mobile XT with my 755p and Freedom GPS, and very happy with the results (I paid $75 for the software on the microSD card).

This seems like a natural fit for you if you already have a Garmin GPS. The very same look and feel as the standalone Garmins.
    Yes this sounds like a good route for me. $75 isn't bad and I know I like garmin.
    I downloaded the software at the link above. It was a bit tricky to install. it showed my palm as an option, I clicked it, it said to hotsync. I did, but it never installed. So I installed via the card using cardreader app. Finally installed. Now it starts up but won't connect to my freedom keychain gps. Did you have to do anything special to get Mobile Xt to see the Gps? I will try to play more, but I'm inside most of the day unable to get a lock. not sure a lock is needed to connect to garmin.
    Isn't Garmin's sw looking for a Garmin GPS? I know they have some sw that is, some that isn't. The one that is not tied to the GPS, it has to run from the Garmin card. If this works I'll be happy since I too own Garmin's maps that I use for my GPSMAP. And can kiss TT6 good bye!
  10.    #10  
    That must be it, either you need a $100 gps or you need a $100 card.

I'll be sure to post my answer from Garmin if/when they write back. My guess is they will say I need to purchase one of those items at regular price.
    That must be it, either you need a $100 gps or you need a $100 card.

I'll be sure to post my answer from Garmin if/when they write back. My guess is they will say I need to purchase one of those items at regular price.
    Truly amazing.

I live in the UK. Following your post about about maps for $75 I thought I would see how much I could get UK maps for on a microSD.

USA Maps & Software = $99
    UK & Ireland Maps & Software = $349 !!!!!

And that is just for UK & Ireland. If I want France it's another $349 and the same again for Germany.

You can buy a Garmin CAR Nuvi 250 GPS with all of Europe maps for $200.

I think Garmin don't want us to buy mobile products in Europe
    Thought of the day :
    Yes this sounds like a good route for me. $75 isn't bad and I know I like garmin.
    I downloaded the software at the link above. It was a bit tricky to install. it showed my palm as an option, I clicked it, it said to hotsync. I did, but it never installed. So I installed via the card using cardreader app. Finally installed. Now it starts up but won't connect to my freedom keychain gps. Did you have to do anything special to get Mobile Xt to see the Gps? I will try to play more, but I'm inside most of the day unable to get a lock. not sure a lock is needed to connect to garmin.
    I believe Garmin is giving us a choice of either purchasing the software version which is locked to a Garmin GPS unit, or a version preloaded and locked to a microSD card, which will work with any GPS unit.

I have the later which worked instantly with my Freedom GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    Truly amazing.

I live in the UK. Following your post about about maps for $75 I thought I would see how much I could get UK maps for on a microSD.

USA Maps & Software = $99
    UK & Ireland Maps & Software = $349 !!!!!

And that is just for UK & Ireland. If I want France it's another $349 and the same again for Germany.

You can buy a Garmin CAR Nuvi 250 GPS with all of Europe maps for $200.

I think Garmin don't want us to buy mobile products in Europe
    Did you look on ebay?
  14.    #14  
    I got my reply from Garmin, and was as I suspected it might be:
    Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be more than happy to assist you. No the maps for the StreetPilot 2720 will not work. The $99.00 gives you the programming and the mapping needed for the Treo operating system. If you simply put the maps for the CN NA NT 8 on a card the maps would not work since they are made to work on the Garmin OS.
    So now to see if I can find a sale somewhere on Garmin XT... Amazon & Buy are in the lead now at about $75, any other ideas? I think I decided I want Garmin vs SA 2008, for twice the price i know what I'm getting. I've used SA many years ago, and it's functunal, just not Garmin (kinda like the Hertz commercials, there's Hertz & not exactly).
    Maybe someone out there has both formats, compare them, and someone else develop a converter program? Of course it assumes no built in protection of the maps since that will violate DMCA...

I just don't want to keep buying things I already have, even if still cheaper than Europe :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Did you look on ebay?
    I've had a look, but the only copies for sale are just that, "copies", and a promise to make up your unlock codes from some Crack program.

Not really what I'm after.
    Thought of the day :