1.    #1  
    I keep getting either one of the 2 messages at the beginning of the update, around the time of the first reset.

1. Microsoft (R) HTML Application host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

2. Device Connection Failed - The USB Connection was not successful. If the device is not connected, please connect it back and select Try Again. (But, the connection is always on, and there is no problem with my USB connection - I could hotsync regularly with no problems)

What am I doing wrong?
    I don't know what the problem is, but I did my update using the SD card method and it went smoothly.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by caltreo View Post
    I keep getting either one of the 2 messages at the beginning of the update, around the time of the first reset.

1. Microsoft (R) HTML Application host has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

2. Device Connection Failed - The USB Connection was not successful. If the device is not connected, please connect it back and select Try Again. (But, the connection is always on, and there is no problem with my USB connection - I could hotsync regularly with no problems)

What am I doing wrong?

Do a hard reset before flashing the firmware ... I had #2