Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For anyone who is considering the jump from Palm to WM, I thought I'd offer a brief snippet of my experience. I too was fearful, but I don't think I'll be looking back. I had a metric-****-ton of programs for Palm, and I had my 650 singing like I thought no phone could sing. Then it started to get squirly, and I had to upgrade. So, here's what I had on my phone and what I've replaced it with on WM:

Push email with Chatter - I'm using Outlook on WM, the only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't support IMAP idle. I get push email with my hotmail (thanks to XDA Developers stripping Windows Live out of a full WM6 version, so I don't have to replace my WM6 ROM, at least not yet), push email with my exchange server at work, and pull email on my personal email. Not too bad, still working on figuring out a good replacement for IMAP idle.

GooSync - There's a WM version, no change

Warden - There's a WM version, no change

Ultimate Phone - I get almost the same functionality with the built in Today screen (photo speed dial, upcoming appointments, unread emails, etc...). Plus, you can customize the today screen (I have a weather program added that updates when I want it to) with a bunch of stuff, some free - some for pay.

Treo Weather - Use WeatherPanel on the today screen, very nice - even offers radar/satellite imagery, comparisons of the weather with all your locations, etc... And it's (mostly) free...

Treo Memo - I'm just using the built in notes program

Agendus Pro - There's a WM version, but I was using Agendus to get the Outlook-like functionality (inviting attendees, etc...), and I get that with the built in Outlook so I'm not swapping.

Convertor - I use WorldMate, which is free. The pay features (Flight status, etc...) are pricey, but it's got built in stuff that's pretty good for free.

ZLauncher - I was using ZLauncher to spruce up Palm OS, and give me the ability to run programs from the card. When you install on WM, it gives you the option to install on the card, and near as I can tell - it runs fine. I put stuff that I use often (like things that are on the today screen) on the device, and all other stuff on the card.

Call Block - All this functionality is essentially built in to WM6.

Tube2 - They have a WM version.

Mundu Radio - They have a WM version.

Flight Status - My second biggest disappointment about switching to WM. There are only two programs that I have found thusfar that do real-time flight status. WorldMate, and Fizz Traveler (with Flight Status plug in). Both are subscription services, which sucks. WorldMate is $74.95 a year (ouch!) and Fizz Traveler is $4.95 a quarter. Both options suck. I'm just going to rely on the Flight Stats mobile site for now... If I were traveling more for my job, I would be able to justify the price...

Directory Assistant - My biggest disappointment. I still haven't found anything comparable yet. For businesses, I use live search (they have a WM app that's nicely formatted, and includes movie show times, gas prices, etc...)

MunduIM - They have a WM version, but I'm not using it. Thanks to XDA Developers, I have Windows Live for WM installed. Since I primarily (make that almost exclusively) using Windows Live Messenger for IM, I'm set. I do plan on installing Skype for WM, since I have a buddy in England that's on that. Both are free.

Noah Pro Dictionary & Thesaurus - Haven't found a free version that's as nice as Noah, but I'm still looking. I am evaluating some pay ones...

Palmary Clock Wireless - Haven't found a suitable replacement yet. There's built-in alarms on WM, but they aren't as feature rich.

Games - I wasn't as worried about this one, but there are a lot of replacements for WM (for example, I had Astraware Sudoku on Palm, and they have a WM version), and there are some cool ones that weren't on Palm. I've got a 9-Hole golf game installed that was free! StyleTap should allow you to use your Palm games as well. I don't know, because I made a conscious decision NOT to use StyleTap.

NVBackup - My 750 came with Sprite Backup on the CD for free. It does the same as NVBackup (backing up to the card), but I can also have it backup to my computer as well. That's pretty nice!

Google Maps - They have a WM version.

Docs To Go - I use the built in Office Mobile (Word, Powerpoint, and Excel) programs.

PalmPDF - My 750 came with Picsel PDF viewer.

PDANet - I use the built-in Internet Sharing that comes with WM6, and it's NICE to be on 3G with that...

TCPMP - Guess what? WM version.

Some of the hacks that I installed on my 650 (KBLightsOff, etc) are built-in functionality of my 750. I've also installed WisBar Lite. It's a nice little task manager that allows quicker switching of running programs, the ability to kill them without having to open the task manager, and cascading menus. It's pretty nice, makes it behave a little more like regular Windows making the transition easier.

Transitioning was easy. All I did was sync my 650 with outlook, then install the software and sync with the 750. Done. All my contacts, notes, appointments, etc... were in my new phone. If you are considering the jump and have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer them. I would consider myself a die-hard Palm guy (I had the ORIGINAL Palm Pilot) and am personally surprised how quickly I became enamored with WM. I will say that it is a much slower OS than Palm, but the BLAZINGLY fast 3G, as well as integration with Exchange (I telecommute a lot) makes up for it...
    Last edited by phrogpilot73; 02/11/2008 at 09:10 AM.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    WM6 devices from HTC don't have the necessary drivers to run TCPMP very well. The audio is out of sync and the video is choppy. The 750 may work well because it's made by Palm and uses a different CPU than the Sprint HTC phones.

There's also no good threaded SMS app for WM6 yet.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    WM6 devices from HTC don't have the necessary drivers to run TCPMP very well. The audio is out of sync and the video is choppy. The 750 may work well because it's made by Palm and uses a different CPU than the Sprint HTC phones.

The 750 is actually an HTC phone (the HTC Cheetah).
    I had WM for a couple of weeks when I used the Mogul and fell in love with it. I found, like you, that I missed DA and Flight Status quite a bit so saw here on the forum someone saying I could run Palm OS programs on WM by using a program called StyleTap. I downloaded it and sent over some of my programs, and they worked. I loved it. I could use DA (now Tryda), but it wouldn't copy or map. It would lookup and dial and give you all the info that the Palm program does. Flight Status worked fine. Here's a link:

http://www.styletap.com/downloads.php

By the way, I believe tryda will have a WM version soon. You can sign up to be notified when it's available here: http://www.tryda.com/Public/Default.aspx
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    The 750 is actually an HTC phone (the HTC Cheetah).
    No, the 750 runs Palm's software. I couldn't care less who physically makes the phone, it's the software that counts.
    No, the 750 runs Palm's software. I couldn't care less who physically makes the phone, it's the software that counts.
    I'd never heard of the Cheetah either but here's from a google search:

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...me=HTC_Cheetah
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    My issues with WM have nothing to do with the apps. There are plenty of apps available, now. But the user interface is still awful, no matter what apps you put on it. MS still has't figured out that a small screen, handheld requires a different paradigm than a big screen PC with a keyboard and mouse.

Too damn many clicks, too damn many hard to read menu options, too much use of the stylus. Palm OS does what I need, and does it far more simply and elegantly than any version of Windows to date.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    With all of that, you don't get tired of looking at the hypnotic circle everytime you launch an app? My experience with WM was that is was much slower than my 755p and now my Centro. Mogul and 700Wx are great devices, just much slower than Palm's 755p and Centro. I have setup half a dozen 750's for people and it seems to be about the same speed as the 700Wx and Mogul. I got tired of looking at the hypnotic wheel everytime I did anything on my WM device. But, to each his own. Whatever makes someone happy is what makes the device the best device someone has used.
    Last edited by spiVeyx; 02/04/2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    I will say that it is a much slower OS than Palm,
    That's what I found - clunky and slow! The programs are often ugly, memory is limited and running programs from the card makes them even slower than from the device... PalmOS programs work the way I expect - perhaps it was the changeover, but WM6 programs were counter-intuitive.
    After a frustrating week with a WM6 phone, I'll stay with Palm til it dies...
    Last edited by rossarnie; 02/02/2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    My issues with WM have nothing to do with the apps. There are plenty of apps available, now. But the user interface is still awful, no matter what apps you put on it. MS still has't figured out that a small screen, handheld requires a different paradigm than a big screen PC with a keyboard and mouse.

Too damn many clicks, too damn many hard to read menu options, too much use of the stylus. Palm OS does what I need, and does it far more simply and elegantly than any version of Windows to date.

Totally agree, but I am looking to move on from my 700p and as far as Palm's OS goes, I am still waiting.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I have to say that the Pro version as it's called now, is indeed clunky. But the Standard version is actually more usable. I thought I'd hate the Standard version, but it's watered down and therefore much easier to get through. But if you can't live without your touchscreens, then it's not for you. I can stand it though.

But you still can't pay me to use Garnet ever again! Multi-tasking is sometimes a necessity for me.

I'll have a look at Nova though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12.    #12  
    On the Treo 750, there is threaded SMS out of the box. It's part of the "Palm enhancements." It works as well as the threaded SMS on my 650.

Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I could use DA (now Tryda), but it wouldn't copy or map. It would lookup and dial and give you all the info that the Palm program does. Flight Status worked fine.
    Thanks for the heads up. I had only sworn off StyleTap because I assumed that I'd be able to find a replacment for every app, and that if it was native WM, it would perform better. Now that I know I can get FlightStatus without having to pay a ridiculous monthly/yearly sum, I think that's the route I'm going to take!

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I hardly ever use my stylus, and have added one or two programs that has made it nicer. Again, everything that I added to Palm was essentially trying to get the functionality of the today screen on WM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    With all of that, you don't get tired of looking at the hypnotic circle everytime you launch an app?
    The only time I get the spinning pinwheel o' color is when I'm running a large app off the card. I put my lesser used apps on the card, and my more frequent apps on the device. Coming from a 650, there's more than enough storage thusfar, but I'm sure that will change.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    But, to each his own. Whatever makes someone happy is what makes the device the best device someone has used.
    Exactly. I wasn't starting this thread to get into a Palm vs. WM debate. I loved my Palm OS phone, and I would consider going back to one. However, my 650 was hardly stable and I wanted certain functionality out of a device that I could get with WM. I wanted this thread to alleviate people's concerns if they are considering making the jump. It's not as scary as I thought...

But what it comes down to (and what I tell people who are thinking about their first smartphone) is that you need to try out every device you can, see if you like it, then buy...
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Are the improvements made to reduce reliance on the stylus unique to WM on Treos? I am considering a switch to WM6 but I don't want to buy another Palm product. I liked the Sprint Touch (HTC?) but I only saw a non-working model and could not tell if stylus reliance and one handed operation was an issue.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    Are the improvements made to reduce reliance on the stylus unique to WM on Treos? I am considering a switch to WM6 but I don't want to buy another Palm product. I liked the Sprint Touch (HTC?) but I only saw a non-working model and could not tell if stylus reliance and one handed operation was an issue.
    I can't answer about the Touch, because I only evaluated what was offered through contract extensions at AT&T (my wife wouldn't let me drop that much coin on a new phone). So I played with the Treo 750, Tilt, Blackjack II, Q9, and Pantech Duo. The 750 felt more "stylus-free" than the Tilt. The Blackjack II, Q9 and Pantech Duo don't have a touch screen, so the most stylus free of the group. I didn't like the way the Blackjack II and Q9 felt in my hand, and the Pantech Duo was a nice idea, but I don't think I'd use both keypads. So that's why I picked the 750. If you're curious what the improvements are: http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...novations.html
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Thanks for the info. The innovations are appealing, I'll have to see how "the others" try to do that. To get built-in DUN to work, I assume the tethering package is required correct?
    I was shopping for my wife, saw many phones and got her the Blackberry (which she truly wanted). NO questions, Palm OS is the absolutely, most SIMPLE, and EASIEST to use !!!!! Besides it is the most intuitive for me. I personally would have loved a foleo, just too bad they can't increase the screen size and take out the weight of the "brick".

Palm, let's please see improved Hardware, the Software is almost PERFECT now that you have Chatter on board. Well done !
    ~* Peace
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    Thanks for the info. The innovations are appealing, I'll have to see how "the others" try to do that. To get built-in DUN to work, I assume the tethering package is required correct?
    That is correct. However, it is possible (at least on the 750) to load an unbranded ROM that doesn't have that restriction. I haven't done it yet, because I've owned the phone less than 30 days. Probably after a year or so, I'm going to unlock and load the unbranded ROM.
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Do you think that once WM 6.1 is released--and with some Palm tweaks as they did with the current line of WM Treos, will this OS be as intuitive as the Palm OS? I'm looking to "defect" from my T650 to the T800W this summer. That is, if it comes out by then.
    Remember easy of use is relative to what we are used to. I have the feeling there are issues with having the same ease of use because WM can do more than the POS. Not to mention the philosophy of UI for WM vs the rest. Not to start a PC vs Mac discussion but on the Mac the interface is more prone to using the keyboard, the mouse is used at the beginning but I don't have to use it as much as Windows makes me do it. Not that one is wrong and the other right, but they target a specific user experience.

I am considering the same switch but will wait to make sure the quality of this one is better than the 700p fiasco.
    Having a much better experience on my 755p than I did on my Mogul or 700wx.

In-browser flash support might sway me back to WM this year though... Other than that, Palm os is far easier to navigate with hotkeys than WM is.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast