1. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Hey all,

I'm selling my 700p today, but I haven't decided on a replacement yet. So, I will switch back to my older 650 until I decide. However, I am wondering about a couple of things...

1) What is is the recommended procedure to move my data from the 700 to the 650? Since it's just temporary, I'm not that interested in moving everything, just contacts and some apps. I use NVBackup and have a full backup and I will be performing a full sync prior to hard-resetting the phone.

2) Is the hard-reset the best method to clear the phone out before I sell it?

3) Does anybody know the procedure for doing this with Sprint? I have a local store very close... should I do it there? Or should I just call? I shouldn't get charged for this, should I?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I would do a clean install to go from a 700p to a 650, just as I would do going from a 650 to a 700p.

A hard reset will clear your data from the 700p but you will have to ask Sprint on how to remove your assigned cell number from the device before selling it, and you will have to go into the Sprint store to have service transfered back to your 650 from the 700p.

Clean Install
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...05&postcount=1

Hard Reset
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...42094#treo700p
    Last edited by gtwo; 02/01/2008 at 09:48 AM.
    MSB, if you want to stick with Palm, I would recommend you take a good, hard look at the Centro. If the smaller screen doesn't give you a headache, you'll notice it's much faster and things work better on it.

Also, if you're just going to use it for a few days (until you get your new one), there's no reason I know of that you couldn't just restore your 700p backup on the 650. Heck, if it doesn't work out, then you could just hard reset and start over again.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  4. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Thanks for the help, guys.

I'm going for the clean install, but at a minimum, I'd like to get my contacts from the 700. I thought about just beaming them... unfortunately, I thought about it after I sold the phone

Anyway, I did both a backup (via NVBackup) to a card and a sync to my PC, but now I'd like to get them to my 650... suggestions on the best way?
    Oops, just thought of one possible reason: memory. If you have a lot of apps on your 700p, where the memory was filled over 24MB, then you will have problems restoring to a 650 unless you go the selective route.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Rename the backup folder that's located in the Palm desktop folder for your HotSync ID. Once that's renamed, you can sync the 650 with it, and it will only sync your contacts, appointments, tasks, and memos...
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix