Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    What is the PmTraceDatabase ? Whenever I hotsync I get the following error message. Not sure if this is a problem.

Failed to backup 1 file(s)

PmTraceDatabase

Protocol Error: Handheld file could not be opened. (4004)

SYNCERR_FILE_NOT_OPEN
    It is a ROM file that does not seem to back up properly on Vista machines and becuase it is in ROM, there is no need to back it up. You can use FileZ and check the box next to backup then save it. That should allow the file to back up. What it does? I have done lots of reading and have not the slightest idea. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It is a ROM file that does not seem to back up properly on Vista machines and becuase it is in ROM, there is no need to back it up. You can use FileZ and check the box next to backup then save it. That should allow the file to back up. What it does? I have done lots of reading and have not the slightest idea. Ben
    For the record, this problem popped up after I upgraded to the newest version of Palm Desktop, and I use Windows XP-Pro. Unchecking it in FileZ took care of the problem.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I have a Palm Centro and I was getting the same error. I unchecked as instructed with FileZ, and the error went away.

I love the Palm Community!!!!
    Please forgive my very basic knowledge. I opened FileZ and found the Filename PmTraceDatabase. On a simple, 1-2-3 step basis, what do I do next to: "check the box next to backup then save it". I know it should be obvious but please walk me through the rest of the process. I would like to get this Sync problem fixed.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    From within FileZ, locate the file in question, tap the box next to the filename, then tap on the file, tap on Attributes (from the popup menu), uncheck Backup which should be the very first attribute in the upper left, then tap on Ok.

That's it! You should be able to HotSync now.
    A big thanks both to bclinger who shared this very helpful solution and Palmfood who was generous enough to walk through the steps to make the solution work. Mission accomplished. I share Palmfood's comments that the Palm community is Great!
    OK, where do I find FileZ??
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogprod View Post
    For the record, this problem popped up after I upgraded to the newest version of Palm Desktop, and I use Windows XP-Pro. Unchecking it in FileZ took care of the problem.

You guys are my heros, this was only a minor annoyance that was quickly resolved.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Thank you, thank you FileZ fixed the problem. I'm assuming from all the info here, this file is not important and won't hurt the operation of my Centro?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I fixed the sync problem ages ago but the pmtracedatabase file has now grown to 250k. Soft resetting and trying to delete it using Resco explorer still gives me the 'in use' error, so does anyone know how I can delete this big fella (without the pain of a hard reset)?
    Quote Originally Posted by urban75 View Post
    I fixed the sync problem ages ago but the pmtracedatabase file has now grown to 250k. Soft resetting and trying to delete it using Resco explorer still gives me the 'in use' error, so does anyone know how I can delete this big fella (without the pain of a hard reset)?
    Try warm reset, delete, then soft reset.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    Thanks - that did the job!
    This also worked to remove the pesky pmtracedatabase backup synch problem after I had to hard reset my 680. Thanks to all...
    Hey, I just found this on the Palm forum. If they can't fix the Palm OS, at least they automated the work around...

Cause of the issue: PmTraceDatabase file has incorrect file attribute set

<<
    Method:

palm.cdnetworks.net/support/palmos/downloads/fixpmtrace.prc

- Install fixpmtrace.prc onto your Palm OS handheld or phone using the install tool.
    - Locate FixPmTrace in the Palm Launcher and launch the application.
    - Observe the Success! message. You can exit the FixPMTrace application and delete the application if you wish.
    >>
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/02/2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Hey, I just found this on the Palm forum. If they can't fix the Palm OS, at least they automated the work around...

Cause of the issue: PmTraceDatabase file has incorrect file attribute set

<<
    Method:

palm.cdnetworks.net/support/palmos/downloads/fixpmtrace.prc

- Install fixpmtrace.prc onto your Palm OS handheld or phone using the install tool.
    - Locate FixPmTrace in the Palm Launcher and launch the application.
    - Observe the Success! message. You can exit the FixPMTrace application and delete the application if you wish.
    >>
    You can also download the fix directly from the Palm site:

kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/common/article/44937_en.html

FWIW, I feel safer using palm.com.
    Last edited by Hank Cowdog; 07/07/2010 at 07:28 AM.