Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1621222324252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    As compared to the "updates?" Yes, I think I've been happy enough. I don't see enough potential benefits to risk experiencing the problems others have had.

I don't plan to ever update mine. I just hope that, if I ever have to replace my 755p, that I don't get a newer one that has the newer firmware version.

Would you mind sharing what made you displeased with the "update?"
    I'm an avid Intelligolf user. One of its features is a bluetooth GPS connection that allows me to accurately measure distance to the green. I need to turn off the GPS connection after I finish a hole in order to enter the score. With the 1.07 update, it takes 25 seconds to exit the GPS screen. With 1.04 I don't think that I saw this delay. The delay is maddening when trying to get around a golf course as quickly as possible. Thanks for asking.
  2. IRJ
    I want to upgrade my firmware but for some reason my 755P isn't communicating with my PC. No problem, I thought, I would instead download onto a miniSD card and use an adapter. But the DL page specifically says DON'T use an adapter.
    Why is this?
    What other options do I have?

Thanks.
    An adapter is another connection between the card n the phone. Sometimes it doesent work right.
    Quote Originally Posted by VetDoctor View Post
    An adapter is another connection between the card n the phone. Sometimes it doesent work right.
    I can't help wondering if that's a headphone jack substitute standard, though.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    TreoCentral reports that there's a new ROM update for 700p's and 700wx's. This left me pretty p.o.'ed, wondering why the 755p - a much more recent device - hasn't gotten an update.

But then I remembered the firmware update - the one that seems to have caused as many problems as it solved. The one I'm too chicken to install.

Rant ends.
    I dunno, I never really had any problems with the 1.07 update.
    I also updated my Sprint 755p to 1.07 and also a friend did the same - both of us had no problems after the update was done.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    I don't mean that every person who got positive results also experienced negative results. I mean that, as this thread demonstrates, for every x users who experienced positive results, y users experienced negative results.

I don't know what the ratio of x to y is, to be honest, but it appears to be way too doggone high. I'm so uninterested in bricking or near-breaking my phone. And my gf really doesn't want to have to get a replacement since the burgundy units seem to be unavailable, these days.

I don't wanna roll the dice with my Treo.
    Keep in mind that, in general, only people who have problems will say so online. You seldom find people jumping online to let everyone know their phone is working great...its when something goes wrong that we turn to others on the net. Yes, we may become long term active users of a forum...but we (almost) all came here with a problem or question...
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    Keep in mind that, in general, only people who have problems will say so online. You seldom find people jumping online to let everyone know their phone is working great...its when something goes wrong that we turn to others on the net. Yes, we may become long term active users of a forum...but we (almost) all came here with a problem or question...
    Good point.

I can't help thinking about the fact that no one who had problems with this update found a solution besides getting another phone. The cost/benefit ratio is too high for me.

Of course, one might think that there's been no patch or updated update from Palm/Sprint suggests that the problem hasn't been wide (or maybe not widespread enough for Palm/Sprint). But then, the only reason I even knew about the firmware update was because I frequent this forum... so maybe many 755p users know nothing about the update (which would limit the number of people complaining about it).
    I'm patched my wife is not. She uses virtually no non-native apps. No real difference in performance. I get resets owing to the apps not the patch, but there are not very bad at all.

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    I'm patched my wife is not. She uses virtually no non-native apps. No real difference in performance. I get resets owing to the apps not the patch, but there are not very bad at all.

BB
    Does that mean you think you gained something or not?
    It means while I cannot tell for sure, I see no real difference. I do not credit the upgrade with causing problems, other posting notwithstanding.

BB
    It means while I cannot tell for sure, I see no real difference. I do not credit the upgrade with causing problems, other posting notwithstanding.

BB
    I was asking (poorly) if you saw a benefit - if the device behaved better. But I gather the answer is no. In which case, I see no reason to risk it.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I was asking (poorly) if you saw a benefit - if the device behaved better. But I gather the answer is no. In which case, I see no reason to risk it.

Sorry if I was unclear. You are correct, I see no benefit NOR COST.

BB
    Sorry if I was unclear. You are correct, I see no benefit NOR COST.

BB
    Not to sound argumentative, but that doesn't sound like a good reason to risk it, to me.
    I have not done the update, and don't intend to unless it becomes a performance issue with Sprint making changes that would require it. I have not seen any real benefit to doing it reading the boards. I am very much of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it school."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathearder View Post
    I have not done the update, and don't intend to unless it becomes a performance issue with Sprint making changes that would require it. I have not seen any real benefit to doing it reading the boards. I am very much of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it school."
    I feel you.

Of course, if it weren't for the huge mess with the 700-series, I might've felt confident enough to give this update a try. In fact, the more I think about it, the luckier I think Palm is that we didn't drop them altogether.

I wonder how much that mess contributed to users jumping ship and swimming over to "Apple Island."*

* Would iPhone island have worked better? *shrugs*
    I have done the update...actually was on the beta test of it as well. I can't say I've seen any real reason to do the update. It hasn't made the device any worse than it was before...but perhaps I was lucky and didn't experience the bugs they fixed.
    I think that was more or less the general consensus. The 1.07 rom didn't really make things worse, so it must have fixed a few bugs from before. So no reason not to do it either really.