Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324252627 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbeat View Post
    If I only have ONE mini SD card with all of my stuff and buckups on it...Can I copy the card to my hard drive, format the card, do the update with the card, then copy the info from the card back onto the card and restore my Treo with NVBackup? It sounds simple to me, but I thought I'd ask.

Why not do the upgrade from your computer? It works very well and then you do not risk anything with your card.

BB
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I must say I went ahead and did it with my SD card and everything went perfectly. My biggest concern about doing this from the very start has been restoring ny phone back with BackupMan after the whole process. Everytime I've done that in the past my Java files didn't get restored back properly and I often had to re-pair my bluetooth stuff. After reading about NVBackup I decided to go for it and it all worked perfectly! I actually deleted my paid copy of BackupMan after using NVBackup (free!!)

Treo is clearly snappier now and hasn't reset once yet.
    Glad to hear that. I wish I could say no resets about mine. I still get absolute freezes (often over night) so every now and then I wake up to a dead phone. I am using Tealscan and Safeguard to try to figure it out. I use a beta Business Connect (which has not been released for the 755p yet) and that may be the cause.

ANY MORE IDEAS ANYONE?? Does anyone else get these absolute freezes: black screen and no response to any buttons; only thing that works is removing the battery for a soft reset?????????

Thanks,

BB
    Well, I just did the upgrade from 1.04 to 1.07 and so far everything is normal from the short testing I have done with these exceptions - it doesn't feel much snappier than before, but my TCPMP plays smoother when I stream the audio to my Jabra BT8040 earbud, I can stream Sprint TV via Bluetooth as I couldn't before - I still can't stream Slingplayer as video is very choppy along with the audio - my USBModem still works.

I can get the Bluetooth Audio Screen - I think the way to get to it and I found this by accident because I couldn't find it right away - is with Bluetooth off - click on the Bluetooth icon and before you do anything else while at that screen go to the menu button and it should be there - my friends 755p does the same thing - so that might be the trick to see that screen - although I didn't enable the first selction "Audio State" and the last selection "enable Ptunes" - I don't know if it would conflict with my SAG 1.20 which works fine after the upgrade.

I'll let the phone be for awhile to see if any weird things pop up - but so far so good.

BTW I did hard reset first then did a NVBackup restore - I didn't have to re-enter my passwords into Versamail as the instructions said, but my Bluetooth names disappeared in the trusted device screen and had numbers instead, but the Bluetooth devices still worked - so I just deleted them and repaired each of my devices so I could get the device names back.

I hope it remains stable - but thats the info I have for now - hope this helps those who still might be on the fence about the upgrade
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 03/17/2008 at 01:33 AM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    Well, I just did the upgrade from 1.04 to 1.07 and so far everything is normal from the short testing I have done with these exceptions - it doesn't feel much snappier than before, but my TCPMP plays smoother when I stream the audio to my Jabra BT8040 earbud, I can stream Sprint TV via Bluetooth as I couldn't before - I still can't stream Slingplayer as video is very choppy along with the audio - my USBModem still works.

I can get the Bluetooth Audio Screen - I think the way to get to it and I found this by accident because I couldn't find it right away - is with Bluetooth off - click on the Bluetooth icon and before you do anything else while at that screen go to the menu button and it should be there - my friends 755p does the same thing - so that might be the trick to see that screen - although I didn't enable the first selction "Audio State" and the last selection "enable Ptunes" - I don't know if it would conflict with my SAG 1.20 which works fine after the upgrade.

I'll let the phone be for awhile to see if any weird things pop up - but so far so good.

BTW I did hard reset first then did a NVBackup restore - I didn't have to re-enter my passwords into Versamail as the instructions said, but my Bluetooth names disappeared in the trusted device screen and had numbers instead, but the Bluetooth devices still worked - so I just deleted them and repaired each of my devices so I could get the device names back.

I hope it remains stable - but thats the info I have for now - hope this helps those who still might be on the fence about the upgrade
    Although I'm going to stay perched on this fence a while longer, your post definitely helps folks like me. Thanks.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Ok, just tried to do the update via the desktop method for a co worker and there appears to be a problem with the downloaded file. I download the file, unzip it, and when I launch the file, the notepad pops up showing a script. Nothing happens after that, and when I exit the program, I'm back to the desktop with nothing going on with the Treo. We don't have a mini sd card lying around so I don't have that as an option. Ideas? Anyone else have this problem before?
    I did my upgrade from the desktop - in fact I clicked on the link to download doing it from the card also - but that link was broke.

I'd say download the file again and retry - the file may have been corrupted during the download.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Tried it four more times with four different downloads, same results. I'm going to call it a night and try again tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Just tried it a few times this morning and I'm still getting the same error. Does anyone have the zipped file themselves that they can email me? PM me if you do. Or if anyone has any suggestions that would be helpful as well.

Thanks.
    I have the zip file I used yesterday with 100% success. Give me your email and I will send it over.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    PM sent...
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlai View Post
    Ok, just tried to do the update via the desktop method for a co worker and there appears to be a problem with the downloaded file. I download the file, unzip it, and when I launch the file, the notepad pops up showing a script. Nothing happens after that, and when I exit the program, I'm back to the desktop with nothing going on with the Treo. We don't have a mini sd card lying around so I don't have that as an option. Ideas? Anyone else have this problem before?

The problem is that the script file within the setup program (xxx.hta) has the wrong association. I had this problem with Vista and had to change the association to point to c:\windows\system32\mshta.exe and not Notepad.exe.

Vista doesn't make it easy to change the associations (Another Improvement ??)

But if you know how to use the RegEdit program you can use the to fix the association problem.

Check the mshta.exe file Properties: It should read "Microsoft (R)
    HTML Application host" in the Version tab. Another thing is to verify the
    ..HTA association in the registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta
    Set the (default) value to "htafile" without quotes.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\Shell\Open\Command
    Set the (default) value to C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshta.exe

If you Google the WEB there are other ways to fix this problem.

Rich
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I tried the Firmware Update on my 755p yesterday via the sync cable, and I bricked my phone. It sat there for an hour and a half and never got past the "Updating ROM" message on the screen. Sprint gave me a new phone (still under warranty) Anyone had issues with this? My 755p was pretty flaky anyhow, rebooting a lot.

Also, I'm considering trying the upgrade again on my new phone, this time via the card method. However, it states in the instructions that the card should be no bigger than 2G, and I have a 4G mini SDHC. Has anyone done this update with a 4G card? I called Palm and the clueless lady basically read off the script that it should be a 2G card, so I would say that call was inconclusive.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by dcigary; 03/21/2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by relgin View Post
    The problem is that the script file within the setup program (xxx.hta) has the wrong association. I had this problem with Vista and had to change the association to point to c:\windows\system32\mshta.exe and not Notepad.exe.

Vista doesn't make it easy to change the associations (Another Improvement ??)

But if you know how to use the RegEdit program you can use the to fix the association problem.

Check the mshta.exe file Properties: It should read "Microsoft (R)
    HTML Application host" in the Version tab. Another thing is to verify the
    ..HTA association in the registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta
    Set the (default) value to "htafile" without quotes.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htafile\Shell\Open\Command
    Set the (default) value to C:\WINDOWS\system32\mshta.exe

If you Google the WEB there are other ways to fix this problem.

Rich
    Rich: Thanks for the tip. I did as you suggested and it worked. The 755p in question has been updated with no problems. Interesting since it sounds like an issue with that file Palm has up there. Funny how no one else has mentioned this issue before. I sent an email to Palm about it, but of course, no response like normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcigary View Post
    I tried the Firmware Update on my 755p yesterday via the sync cable, and I bricked my phone. It sat there for an hour and a half and never got past the "Updating ROM" message on the screen. Sprint gave me a new phone (still under warranty) Anyone had issues with this? My 755p was pretty flaky anyhow, rebooting a lot.

Also, I'm considering trying the upgrade again on my new phone, this time via the card method. However, it states in the instructions that the card should be no bigger than 2G, and I have a 4G mini SDHC. Has anyone done this update with a 4G card? I called Palm and the clueless lady basically read off the script that it should be a 2G card, so I would say that call was inconclusive.

Any thoughts?
    YES, I dip the update with a Kingston 4GB mini SDHC card and a full restore (which I don't normally do) with NVbackup. I backed up my card on my PC and deleted everything on the card before loading the update. No issues whatsoever. Recommendations: full backup with NVbackup, hard reset, load update on blank card - execute update (I did another hard reset after the update completed but not necessary), full restore with NVbackup (or clean install if you were having issues before the update to troubleshoot), re-pair BT devices. Should take less than an hour. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    YES, I dip the update with a Kingston 4GB mini SDHC card and a full restore (which I don't normally do) with NVbackup. I backed up my card on my PC and deleted everything on the card before loading the update. No issues whatsoever. Recommendations: full backup with NVbackup, hard reset, load update on blank card - execute update (I did another hard reset after the update completed but not necessary), full restore with NVbackup (or clean install if you were having issues before the update to troubleshoot), re-pair BT devices. Should take less than an hour. Good luck.
    Thank you for the info! That's exactly the same card I have, so things are looking positive. I'm running out of time here at work today to try the update (I sych with my work PC only), plus I'm still skittish about the whole creating a brick issue. I'll try it again on Monday when I'm braver...

Again, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Oh. . . . I used to be the first to install something like this.

Now, under the premise of . . . . . . if it ain't broke. . . . . . don't fix it. . . . . I will wait.

How long? Well, no longer than 18 months. (900p)

If the 755p starts getting hinky . . . . maybe then.

Well . . . . 2 months later and finding myself with an hour to spare. . . . I decided to update. The update went without a hitch and so far, I am very pleased. The ocassional 10 to 15 second white screen delays going in and out of Blazer have so far disappeared. As well, the overall feel of movement between applications and screens is snappier.
    Perry,

I also waited and did the update just a tad sooner than you - looks like there were a few hold outs, as I also believe;

". . . . . . if it ain't broke. . . . . . don't fix it. . . . . I will wait."

Overall mine seems ever so slightly snappier and so far has been stable with no ill effects.

I can get the optional Bluetooth 80% of the time - can you get that screen?
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Not sure of what screen that is . . . . . . . .what is the menu path?
    It is the Bluetooth screen - then hit the menu button - usually you will have two choices; (1)Enable device name cache, (2)About Bluetooth Manager, the 3rd would be Bluetooth Audio - see post number 3 of this thread for picture of pop up box that appears when you select it.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us