Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    I use Backupman and it allows me to restore individual files. Since using a backup program I haven't found the need to use hotsync.. hotsync imo is pretty weak at backing up everything on your phone and even weaker at restoring.
    Just a quick FYI - Softick Cache causes stability problems and slowness after doing the 755 update.
    Brian
    Will it be worth sticking to HP Web OS? I hope so but need to see the right hardware and software.
  3. jhn
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Best way to update for me was:
    Back up all your data, reset & erase all your data, download Windows(no card)version, start the process, when done(30-40 mins)just restore all your data back. Runs perfect & smoothly.
    Palm tech support says I have to download to a card and install from a card. You can not do from Windows desktop. Is this correct?
    There are 2 version of the installer. One requires using the sd card, the other does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhn View Post
    Palm tech support says I have to download to a card and install from a card. You can not do from Windows desktop. Is this correct?
    No that isn't correct. like papped said there are two versions .. one that requires an sd card and the other needs a windows box and that one works via hotsync.
    I finally figured out what this is, and why I still see it even after the MR, particularly when launching Blazer (almost always). It's the dbcache being flushed. It appears that Blazer/PalmOS uses a lower threshold of fullness to determine if the dbcache should be flushed before running Blazer. At as little as 60% full, the dbcache will be flushed if you launch Blazer. It doesn't seem to matter whether Blazer's own cache is enabled or not.

If you already knew this, nevermind. I just thought it was just a very interesting discovery. If you have anything to add....
    PalmOS user since 1998. Treo user since 2006. WM user since 4/1/2009.
    PalmPilot Personal > PalmPilot Pro Upgrade > PalmIII Upgrade > PalmIII > PalmIIIx > Efig PalmV8 > Visor Prism > PalmVx > m515 > Tungsten T|3 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo755p > Treo700wx > Treo800w > TreoPro
    "Riding for the Son" <><
    Since the upgrade almost every time it does a soft reset (no matter what might have caused it) my unit (Sprint) hanges on the white Access Power scsreetn===would stay there forever or unitl I take out batter and then it goes through a normal soft reset.

ANY IDEAS? ANYONE PLEASE :-)

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Since the upgrade almost every time it does a soft reset (no matter what might have caused it) my unit (Sprint) hanges on the white Access Power scsreetn===would stay there forever or unitl I take out batter and then it goes through a normal soft reset.

BB
    Have you tried a hard reset and still get this behaviour? If yes, then it must be a hardware thing. I highly suspect though that there's a 3rd party app causing the problem.
    I have been trying to avoid a hard reset but you are correct I should try it. Also I kind of suspect Reset Dr. Even though I do not have it clear the cache automatically, each time I do clear the cache, it goes into a soft reset (it that standard??) and does that hang. On the other hand, I get the hang even w/o using Reset Dr. to clear the cache.

I lay some blame to the upgrade because I have added no programs since and did not have that problem before. (I did have the sometimes problem or finding a frozen phone in the morning -- no response to any key and a black screen taking a short reset to restore -- I appreciate it is very hard to pin down these causes and welcome and appreciate any and all thoughts/suggestions.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post

BB
    blazorboy,

Try a System Reset :
    1. Remove the battery from your device.
    2. Press and hold Up on the 5-way while reinserting the battery.
    3. When Date & Time Preferences appears, then release Up .

If this works it means that some program is hanging up the Treo after a Soft Reset.
    A System Reset stops the auto start programs from starting where a Soft Reset starts any auto load programs.

4. Delete the third-party application that you suspect is causing the problem.

Note: You need to do a Soft Reset to exit from a System Reset.

This info is covered on p.288 of Treo 755p User Guide.

Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by relgin View Post
    blazorboy,

Try a System Reset :
    1. Remove the battery from your device.
    2. Press and hold Up on the 5-way while reinserting the battery.
    3. When Date & Time Preferences appears, then release Up .

If this works it means that some program is hanging up the Treo after a Soft Reset.
    A System Reset stops the auto start programs from starting where a Soft Reset starts any auto load programs.

4. Delete the third-party application that you suspect is causing the problem.

Note: You need to do a Soft Reset to exit from a System Reset.

This info is covered on p.288 of Treo 755p User Guide.

Rich
    Many thanks to Rich and others for the help. I did a system reset, but of course, I do not know which app. is the problem and after a soft reset might be back to the same issue (not sure yet). I wonder whether BUTLER may be doing it. The only other 3rd party app I use that I think would be in active memory all the time is Business Connect (a Seven product released by Sprint). I do not have Reset Doctor set to do anything automatically, but use it from time to time to observe the cache size and clean (leading to the problem discussed above.

I am almost to the point of doing a hard reset, but holding off.

Thanks again and further thoughts always welcome.

BB
    blazerboy,

what you can do if you feel unsafe about the hard reset (this is only if you have an external/mini sd card) is to first install NVBackup 1.21 which btw is free - the best peice of software for peice of mind IMHO.

do a backup first - then do a hard reset - if you don't like it - you can use NVBackup to restore the system exactly at the point right before your hard reset.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseGlider View Post
    blazerboy,

what you can do if you feel unsafe about the hard reset (this is only if you have an external/mini sd card) is to first install NVBackup 1.21 which btw is free - the best peice of software for peice of mind IMHO.

do a backup first - then do a hard reset - if you don't like it - you can use NVBackup to restore the system exactly at the point right before your hard reset.

Thanks. I had already sprung for backupbuddy and have been backing up but not yet used it to restore. Does it work as well??

Also would I accomplish anything if I restore to exactly the same place? Maybe but I really do not understand enough of the system to know.

Thanks again to all.

BB
    blazorboy,

I have not used backupbuddy so I can't help you there - but when I restore using NVBackup - it simply restores everyting "exactly" like it was including all of your preferences - it restores your system EXACT! - no if's and's or but's and is very simple!

I have heard but have no experience with, but I have heard that not "all" types of backups restore EXACT - others here will know.

Good Luck!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Thanks, MouseGlider.

BB
    I did the update with the miniSD card per the palm site instructions then restored everything with NVbackup from another card everything is working great. And switching apps is faster.
    Happy
    If I only have ONE mini SD card with all of my stuff and buckups on it...Can I copy the card to my hard drive, format the card, do the update with the card, then copy the info from the card back onto the card and restore my Treo with NVBackup? It sounds simple to me, but I thought I'd ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by sportyrydr View Post
    I finally figured out what this is, and why I still see it even after the MR, particularly when launching Blazer (almost always). It's the dbcache being flushed. It appears that Blazer/PalmOS uses a lower threshold of fullness to determine if the dbcache should be flushed before running Blazer. At as little as 60% full, the dbcache will be flushed if you launch Blazer. It doesn't seem to matter whether Blazer's own cache is enabled or not.
    Hypothetically if you set an app to auto clear your dbcache when 50% full, you should never see this then when launching Blazer.

Doesn't sound too hard to test.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbeat View Post
    If I only have ONE mini SD card with all of my stuff and buckups on it...Can I copy the card to my hard drive, format the card, do the update with the card, then copy the info from the card back onto the card and restore my Treo with NVBackup? It sounds simple to me, but I thought I'd ask.
    That's basically how I did it and it worked fine.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Thanks!