Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Updating the PRL is easy. You just call *2 (or write ecare) and have them flag your account for the PRL update. Wait a while, then call *2 and you will be greeted by a message stating please wait while your PRL is being updated.

Thats if your lucky enough to get a rep that actually knows what a prl is... I had to call 4 times and finally had to ask for tech support and they were able to do it instantly.
  2.    #382  
    I guess I lucked out without realizing it then. Damn, should've played the lottery that day ; )
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I just called to get prl 60611 and went through two reps. The first knew what I was talking about and flagged my account, but calling *2 after just got me CS and not PRL update. I stayed on the line, and got a rep who also knew what a PRL update was. She flagged my account a second time and this time it worked. So I guess I got lucky too with both reps knowing what a PRL was. I'm now at 60611.
    Has any one else had problems with kinoma & the firmware update. I am getting error messages saying I need to reinstall the library. I have reinstalled from a download & from a back up but it still won't work. Suggestions?
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
    I would just like to say hello!

This is my first Smartphone (upgraded from a Sidekick II, had a Visor Deluxe back in the day)

Since day 1 (August 10, 2007?) I thought my Treo 755p to be a little slow switching between applications. A friend of mine, a Treo user since the Handspring days, felt the same when compared to his 650. When the Centro came out we know there was something wrong...

Well I did the update via Mac OS X Leopard and SD card (with full size adapter) and before loading any of my apps or syncing any of my data I noticed an increase in responsiveness when switching apps. I know it wasn't just the hard reset because I had done that in the past hoping it would fix things but did not notice any changes at that time. Since this is new ROM is like a fresh start for me, I will reinstall my apps rather than restore them from a backup. Good time to update them if available. So far, I am happy. I may write back later if things change though...

1) Hotsynced with Palm Desktop for Mac OS X (I know it's ugly but I rarely use it, mainly just as my backup)
    2) Perfromed Hard Reset on phone
    3) Plugged phone into AC power cable (not cradle or usb/sync cable)
    4) Downloaded Update from website
    5) Remove SD card from my phone put in adapter and plugged adapter into USB port on laptop running Mac OS X Leopard (Didn't realize there was a note saying not to use an adapter when skimming the instructions)
    6) Unzipped the update and copied to the PALM folder to the root of the SD card as instructed (didn't even bother backing up SD card or erasing SD card before copying folder)
    7) Placed SD card in phone
    8) Followed onscreen instructions
    9) Listened to TreoCentral Podcast #38 while waiting for update to finish
    10) Started checking phone, noticed speediness :-)
    11) Synced up cal, contacts, tasks, memos, etc.
    12) Noticed pics from SD card will still there, noticed music on SD card was still there also
    13) Updated Pocket Tunes, noticed download speed seemed faster (maybe just placebo, didn't really test, 1.09MB in about 10 secs, so 100kiloBYTESps, or 800kiloBITSps is pretty good in my book)

I consider myself a fairly "light weight" user. I use Gmail IMAP in Chatter, so not concerned with any of that being stored on the phone, and all of my media and PIM is backed up on my laptop so that's easy to get back. The only other program I used they may have caused problems was Mundu (don't remember what version...) I install them in the order of importance and give it a few days in between to see if anything goes awry.

One thing to note is that I had a lot of resets and instability when I had a bluetooth earpiece setup for phone calls before. I eventually stopped using it after a week because of how unstable my phone was as a result. I will give it sometime before I try that again with the new update.

On a sidenote, i do have the Audio option in the Bluetooth menu but nothing to use it with...just noticed it was there when other people where saying it wasn't...

So far I am happy with the update, considering one of my biggest complaints about the phone was the perceived sluggishness. If things change I'll be back...
    Just upgraded to 1_07 (from 1_06, as I beta tested the desktop updater). I've been using 1_06 since November. No 1_07 issues to report as of yet...
    Makad,

Quote Originally Posted by makad View Post
    Has any one else had problems with kinoma & the firmware update. I am getting error messages saying I need to reinstall the library. I have reinstalled from a download & from a back up but it still won't work. Suggestions?
    It sounds like Kinoma Player isn't properly installed, so my recommendation is to go to our "lost key" page to get a fresh installer.

If that doesn't work, just contact our support folks and they'll be glad to help you out.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Does this update fix the bug with bluetooth headsets. Mine does a soft reset randomly when I attempt to place a call and have my Jabra on. Never did this with my motorola headset (the one the dog ate).
    my bluetooth works a little better after the update.. but I don't use a Jabra so I don't have the reset issue..

As a note though.. anyone trying to figure out if this update is worth it try doing a fresh install of all your apps and don't use a backup to restore.. when I did the update I did like most and just restored from a backup and didn't notice much difference.. since then my mem card died and I lost all of my backups so I did a fresh hard reset and reinstalled all my apps from scratch and now have noticed an increase in everything from app switching to blazer speed. You may want to try this out if you have some free time.
    Last edited by syphex; 03/04/2008 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    has anyone tried pdanet to make sure that still works?
    It works great for me...
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    my bluetooth works a little better after the update.. but I don't use a Jabra so I don't have the reset issue..

As a note though.. anyone trying to figure out if this update is worth it try doing a fresh install of all your apps and don't use a backup to restore.. when I did the update I did like most and just restored from a backup and didn't notice much difference.. since then my mem card died and I lost all of my backups so I did a fresh hard reset and reinstalled all my apps from scratch and now have noticed an increase in everything from app switching to blazer speed. You may want to try this out if you have some free time.
    So I finally also did the ROM update. Per your advice I also completely rebuilt my 755p from scratch. I tried to many programs (beta or released) that I thought a spring cleaning was at hand anyway. So far it works great. I also have noticed that BT appears to work better. I'm using Softick's SAG and the latest version 1.20 (optimized for the ROM update) works pretty slick. The connection to BT headsets (either Moto S9 or Pulsar 590A) is faster than before and also reliable (so far).

I guess I'm uprading my wife's 755p over the weekend.

Cheers.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    For those of you that started again from scratch....what about your contacts? I backup everything using backupvfs. No problems, but just curious as if I go this route I cannot lose all my contacts.

Thanks!
    I still restored my contacts, calendar, and message database from a backup so that I didn't lose any of my important info but only did them one at a time.
    I restore my Contacts/PIM data from my Exchange server.

This is the only time I use VM, to restore PIM data. I do a sync, then remove the EAS account.
    actually thats true I think I did get my calendar back from EAS but I know I restored my contacts and sms messages from my backup.
    Just make sure your Exchange account is not set to be overridden by your phone, or you will get a nice surprise when you sync with a blank phone
    Are those options on the phone side or the exchange side? I know I have seem that option before but can't remember where.
    It is on the Exchange side.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    I still restored my contacts, calendar, and message database from a backup so that I didn't lose any of my important info but only did them one at a time.
    How did u do them one at a time? My backup program doesn't allow that. Does HotSync?
    yes. it's in the backup folder when you hotsync and you can install those pdb's back using hotsync