1.    #1  
    Ok, it's my turn, I need help after pulling my hair (what's left) out on this problem.

It seems that the other day my Treo 650 (which is has a custom rom, that was last done 6 months ago, so it's not that) started to reboot when I go into Contacts and then try to dial out from phone number listed in the contact list.

It will even reboot when I leave the contacts to go back to the phone menu.

If I manually dial out a number it's fine. If I use my Voicedial it works fine.

The problem just happens when I try to do a phone function from the contact list.

I even tried deleting contacts DB and starting with a blank Datebase.

Has this happened to anyone and what was the fix.

I'm about to erase the internal ram and restore from backup the phone. But restoring the phone from a backup might just put the problem back on the phone.

So I figured I'd ask my TreoCentral guru's if they have any ideas?

Thanks

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Sounds like it's a while since you did any spring cleaning, so my suggestion for the sake of your sanity and the working of your Treo, is hard reset.
    Rename backup folder to something like OldBackup, and hot sync with same user ID to get all your PIMs back.
    If the problem has gone away at this point, then you had a corrupted record somewhere, or a software conflict.

Then put fresh copies of all your third party stuff back onto the treo and set it up clean.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Ok, it's my turn, I need help after pulling my hair (what's left) out on this problem.

It seems that the other day my Treo 650 (which is has a custom rom, that was last done 6 months ago, so it's not that) started to reboot when I go into Contacts and then try to dial out from phone number listed in the contact list.

It will even reboot when I leave the contacts to go back to the phone menu.

If I manually dial out a number it's fine. If I use my Voicedial it works fine.

The problem just happens when I try to do a phone function from the contact list.

I even tried deleting contacts DB and starting with a blank Datebase.

Has this happened to anyone and what was the fix.

I'm about to erase the internal ram and restore from backup the phone. But restoring the phone from a backup might just put the problem back on the phone.

So I figured I'd ask my TreoCentral guru's if they have any ideas?

Thanks

Rob
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    The custom rom could still be the problem.
  4.    #4  
    Thank you!

I ended up spending the time working on it. I first erased the entire Interal Treo (back to ROM setting, but the modified version).

Everything seemed to work after that and then I did a restore and the problem came back.

So I just started clearing out cache files or any file that looked like it didn't belong.

I must have gotten the right file off the Treo because now it's working.

It might have been the 'unsaved preferences' file.

I'm not sure exactly what file stores the information when your going in Contact and selecting a phone number to dial. It does place that information in a temporary file to use when you switch back the phone application to us to dial the number.

So I gathered that that temporary file was corrupted in some way.

But all is well here.

And while I was at it, I upgraded some of the applications that I place in the custom rom and re-ran another custom rom image.

Thanks again!

I almost for a fleeting moment thought I was going to have get myself a new Treo and then the big decision with that. Windows Mobile 6 version or plan old Palm again. So just bought myself some time again, I'm probably doing what a lot of 650 owners are doing, just waiting it out till something comes out that grabs my attention.

I thought it would be the iPhone and when my friend go one; who is computerless and I do all the upgrading and transferring of music and photos for him, it seems the iPhone just can't do right now what the Treo can do (and the Palm software).
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

You're very welcome
    I test a lot of apps on my 650 and need to clean it out regularly.
    A good tip is to use NVBackUp or Resco backup, or both, and always have a fresh backup of the cleanly installed unit. This requires you to make a backup the moment that everything is installed and prefs are set up the way you want. I also make a backup of the device before putting third party apps on it, so that all I have is the PIMS and other native apps, and if I want, I can get a totally clean restore in seconds.
    If you do this, you always have a way to roll back to a good backup set, and even if you are away from your PC, it can be done in minutes. I prefer the freeware NVBackup, because the restore action removes any un-needed and orphaned files from the stuff in RAM and then resets the Palm to the exact state of that particular backup set.
    I also have a custom ROM stripped of almost everything except the bare bones, and it seems to take less time to reboot after soft and hard resets.

Cheers
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Thank you!

I ended up spending the time working on it. I first erased the entire Interal Treo (back to ROM setting, but the modified version).

Everything seemed to work after that and then I did a restore and the problem came back.

So I just started clearing out cache files or any file that looked like it didn't belong.

I must have gotten the right file off the Treo because now it's working.

It might have been the 'unsaved preferences' file.

I'm not sure exactly what file stores the information when your going in Contact and selecting a phone number to dial. It does place that information in a temporary file to use when you switch back the phone application to us to dial the number.

So I gathered that that temporary file was corrupted in some way.

But all is well here.

And while I was at it, I upgraded some of the applications that I place in the custom rom and re-ran another custom rom image.

Thanks again!

I almost for a fleeting moment thought I was going to have get myself a new Treo and then the big decision with that. Windows Mobile 6 version or plan old Palm again. So just bought myself some time again, I'm probably doing what a lot of 650 owners are doing, just waiting it out till something comes out that grabs my attention.

I thought it would be the iPhone and when my friend go one; who is computerless and I do all the upgrading and transferring of music and photos for him, it seems the iPhone just can't do right now what the Treo can do (and the Palm software).