Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I drop internet connections every few minutes if I'm idle and my Centro loses it connection. I get logged off my Toccer or Mundu IM all the time. It is very annoying. I was told to have a home computer "ping" my Palm every few minutes to keep the data connection alive and this will keep my connection alive and I will not get kicked off my IM session.

The problem is I have no idea how to set up a "ping" to my Centro from a home computer. If anyone could walk me through how to make a “ping” that would be great. I am pretty computer illiterate so detailed help if any would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter M; 01/30/2008 at 11:46 AM.
    While not the technical answer, I had a similar problem with my Razr connection when tethering to my TX. I solved the problem by having PocketTunes deluxe run in the background (streaming music). It keeps the connection from going idle and I could surf the net or IM as long as I wanted to without any problems.

I don't know if you own it or not, if so it'd be an easy "fix." If not, I don't know if you'd be willing to invest if there's a free solution.

Best wishes.
    Are you in an area with a weak data signal? The device itself is designed to maintain connection with the data system at all times unless an interruption forces the disconnect. Ben
    The Centro's connection should not close when idle unless you tell it to or have a third party software to disconnect.

My Centro stays connected indefinitely once it connects. Do you have any trouble with your connection? A lot of people here who have upgraded from previous phones with a vision plan (1xRTT, green arrows on the Centro) did not get upgraded to Power Vision (EVDO, blue arrows on the Centro) account when making the switch. From the other user reports in this forum, that will create a lot of problems for the data connection.

See this thread here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=power+vision
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I just know that my 700p hardly ever dropped my Toccer or Mundu connection and my Centro does every 11 minutes or so of inactivity. I used to be able to leave my 700p on for hours at a time and have a stable connection. I live in the exact same area and travel mostly all the same places around (Boston) that I did when I had my 700p a few months ago.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I do still have Power Vision on my Centro. This is so annoying as I need a good IM client that I can leave connected in the background for my job. The Sprint built in IM application is way too laggy to have in the background. What good is an IM program that if in the background could take anywhere from 7-10 minutes to get you the message? Clients or even friends could have signed-off before I even get the message as they will think I am not responding.
    Probably the best thing to do would be to call and see if Sprint could reprovision your data (Power Vision) plan. Also, type in ##DATA# on the home screen to make sure both boxes are unchecked.

My phone stays connected even when I am in and out of service.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I will try asking Sprint to reprovision my plan. What "home screen" are you talking about to type ##DATA# on? I will try that also. I will try anything. Thanks.
    It is done from the default dialer. Ben