1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I think I speak on behalf of all non-native-english 680 owners saying the autocorrect functionality of the 680 is quite annoying: "i" becomes "I", "ive" becomes "I've", etc. This feature simply does not work well!

But has anybody had the luck to hack the "HsExtensions2.0_enUS.prc" file on their upgraded 680 - the file containing the table of all these autocorrects?

Back on 1.04 it worked like a charm - however, trying with the hacked file from back then makes the device enter an endless loop, having to hard reset it.
    I got the same result trying to hack the new file myself...

BR,
    Egholm
    Quote Originally Posted by Egholm View Post
    Hi there,
    But has anybody had the luck to hack the "HsExtensions2.0_enUS.prc" file on their upgraded 680 - the file containing the table of all these autocorrects?
    Hi Egholm,

yes you're right, they changed something in the new rom and the previous modified file causes resets; I did succeed in modifying the new one (no more "i"->"I" and "il"->"I'll") with an hex editor (you copy it from rom, hex edit and paste to ram, then soft reset); if you want I can send mine to you, just PM me, or I can explain how to do...

Let me know!

Sergio
    Can you post it here? Per un italiano... sarebbe utile
  4.    #4  
    Sergio,

Quote Originally Posted by SergioA View Post
    yes you're right, they changed something in the new rom and the previous modified file causes resets; I did succeed in modifying the new one (no more "i"->"I" and "il"->"I'll") with an hex editor (you copy it from rom, hex edit and paste to ram, then soft reset); if you want I can send mine to you, just PM me, or I can explain how to do...
    Did you hex edit it on the Treo?
    I actually tried (but not really with a hex editor, but TextPad - reserving binary'ness - I think) fetching the version from 1.12, simply deleted the entries I didn't like, put it back on the SD card, and copied to ram with FileZ (6.8.3). But the moment the file was written to ram, the device entered the endless loop.
    So either I should have zeroed the entries instead of deleting, or TextPad messed up the file when saving (although I inspected it with a hex-viewer, afterwards - looked good)...
    Can you help me here, Sergio?

BR,
    Egholm
    Quote Originally Posted by Egholm View Post
    Sergio,

Did you hex edit it on the Treo?
    Can you help me here, Sergio?

BR,
    Egholm
    I did it on my Mac, but you can also do it on your Treo e.g. with Resco Explorer and the "view" option: you have to pay attention to the length of the "replacements" you're going to do, they must be the same of the original ones: so, for example "il I'll" becomes "xx I'll" and so on...

Attached you can find my "patched" version, it works on the last ROM: I only disabled the "i" -> "I" and "il" -> "I'll" autocorrections; let me know if you need other ones!

The usual stuff... USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Let me know!

Sergio
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by fasuin View Post
    Can you post it here? Per un italiano... sarebbe utile
    Certo! Ecco l'allegato nel messaggio sopra

Ciao!!!
  7.    #7  
    I did it on my Mac, but you can also do it on your Treo e.g. with Resco Explorer and the "view" option: you have to pay attention to the length of the "replacements" you're going to do, they must be the same of the original ones: so, for example "il I'll" becomes "xx I'll" and so on...
    Oh, that explains why it failed when I just removed the table-entries - silly me :-)

Attached you can find my "patched" version, it works on the last ROM: I only disabled the "i" -> "I" and "il" -> "I'll" autocorrections; let me know if you need other ones!
    THANK YOU! For now "i" was the important one...

// Egholm

The usual stuff... USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Let me know!

Sergio
    From the synch application tells me

HsExtensions2.0_enUS.prc
    Install synchronization failed
    Protocol Error: Read-only. (4009)

Excuse my ignorance but how do I install the PRC file from the SD card?

Grazie.
    Alberto.

Excuse my ignorance but how do I install the PRC file from the SD card?
    Hi Alberto!

You can use a file manager (e.g. FileZ or Resco Explorer) and copy the file from the SD card to ram, then soft reset

Ciao!

Sergio
    One could also use the tools (requires perl) at http://linux.voyager.hr/palmos/ to edit autocorrect list to his liking...

Note: the pages also contain tools to edit the alt-character list and system fonts, giving one much stabler alternative (it only produces overlay files, no PRC code at all!) to PiLoc for non-english users (or even to them, if they want to change the font, autocorrect list, or alt-chars WITHOUT instabilities of the hacks)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mnalis View Post
    One could also use the tools (requires perl) at http://linux.voyager.hr/palmos/ to edit autocorrect list to his liking...

Note: the pages also contain tools to edit the alt-character list and system fonts, giving one much stabler alternative (it only produces overlay files, no PRC code at all!) to PiLoc for non-english users (or even to them, if they want to change the font, autocorrect list, or alt-chars WITHOUT instabilities of the hacks)
    Wow! I'm gonna try that!
    Thanks for the hint!

// Egholm
    Try PowerDict 2.0, no need to HEX edit

http://mytreo.net/downloads/files/screens/powerdict.gif

Supposedly Compatible with: Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Treo 755p

Worked on my 700P and 680

http://mytreo.net/downloads/powerdict,1372.html
    Last edited by NachoB; 09/24/2008 at 09:53 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Try PowerDict 2.0, no need to HEX edit

http://mytreo.net/downloads/files/screens/powerdict.gif

Supposedly Compatible with: Treo 650, Treo 680, Treo 700p, Centro, Treo 755p

Worked on my 700P and 680

http://mytreo.net/downloads/powerdict,1372.html
    Thanks NachoB, seems to work fine on my GSM Centro too!

Ciao

Sergio