1.    #1  

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...ng-does-flash/

http://www.skyfire.com/

I really wish we had a new browser for our devices like this one. I await the day SOMEONE comes up with something sweet. I know Universe is in the works (and has been for a long time, and I wonder when it will come out) but a browser like this almost makes me want to switch devices. Not only that but all the new phones coming out with MANY more options than what we as Treo users have. Its like we are being hung out to dry. I sit here with the Treo 700p, have a white screen of death, low memory, no wifi, and the other complaints, and some have loads of other stuff, but I still keep my Palm, for hopes that SOMETHING good will come.

I'm barely hanging on anymore. Its even harder when you realize you may not get a new device until 2009 unless you dump the Palm.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    it never says but i asume its WM?

its pretty sweet, that on a decent device mite get me off palm os after 10 years
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    It's WM first (Pro and Standard) with Symbian to come.

I saw the demo over skype - it's *stupendous*

http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/sk...ts_off_th.html

...but still vaporware, technically.
    Skyfire looks nice.

My only gripe is that it is all proxy based. The downside with this is no local file support, unless you send them over the Internet (only to receive them back again...).

As for Universe... I won't comment too much, yet, other than to say: The UI is designed and complete, WebKit is in the works. The UI is fantastic and I am dying to get a core behind it. My only fear is memory and performance, but we'll see that in the beta.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Skyfire looks nice.

My only gripe is that it is all proxy based. The downside with this is no local file support, unless you send them over the Internet (only to receive them back again...).

As for Universe... I won't comment too much, yet, other than to say: The UI is designed and complete, WebKit is in the works. The UI is fantastic and I am dying to get a core behind it. My only fear is memory and performance, but we'll see that in the beta.
    Well it sounds like it is coming along quite nicely, and I know MANY look forward to a new beta since the last time there was a beta over a year ago.

I have no doubt that it will be up there with all of the other browsers we have on our Treo if not better.

I guess I dont understand the local file support thing, and what that means. Care to elaborate more? I assume it is something worth noting or your wouldn't have mentioned it. So what does that do or not do for us?
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
    I guess I dont understand the local file support thing, and what that means. Care to elaborate more? I assume it is something worth noting or your wouldn't have mentioned it. So what does that do or not do for us?
    Either opening html files from a memory card, or as email attachments. If you click the "Open in Browser" button in Chatter the email message is sent over to the web browser and the browser opens the file locally.

If Skyfire were to support this, they would have to send the file to the server, the server would have to do whatever and send back the type of content that it returns.

The disadvantages:
    - You get more traffic since the file has to get sent upstream to the server, and returned
    - Multiple files would be slow (i.e. a local page referencing local images and style sheets)

Many iPhone users want(ed) support for local "Web 2.0" apps if Apple was going to have pushed them more (I think that want is settling since the SDK was announced).

Also, the issue with proxy based browsers is that they cannot access a firewalled network. I have a private network that I can access via VPN from my Treo. Using a public proxy I would not be able to access the web pages in my network. The alternative is to either a) setup a "web browser" proxy on my network (that would be expensive) or b) allow the public server access to my network (forget it! most companies wouldn't allow this).
    Did you know:

Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    Cool ... will this include Javascript support, or will that require another iteration?
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    Cool ... will this include Javascript support, or will that require another iteration?
    As long as I can get WebKIt onto the PalmOS (so far so good, as long as no horrible complexities arise, but I am feeling optimistic) then Javascript and many many other things are a good possibility.

By the way, this is the other iteration (I would hardly call the last "version," 3, exciting as opposed to a transition).

Though, not to hijack this thread from Skyfire.
    Did you know:

Questionable security with Skyfire because of the proxy servers. Should be good for browsing but I wouldn't do anything secure over it.