Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Please please PLEASE tell me why all new models of the Palm don't have Wifi!?!?! It just seems freakin' stupid! Yes I love my Treo phone but it's ridiculous to not at least allow drivers when the damn cards have already been made! It's supported on the Windows Mobile Treos. Why not on the Palm side?!?!!?
    I suppose you could say because you can get online with them anyway with the EVDO if you buy a data plan but what if you don't WANT a dataplan. Why should I pay for that if I don't have to? It can't be that the wireless companies won't allow it because they sell phones that have Wifi so that's not it. What if you just want to be able to use hotpsots? Why won't they just make a driver for the existing SD cards out there? Can someone please explain it to me? I really don't understand! It seems to me it just comes down to laziness. But you'd think a company that can make such a sweet device as a Treo wouldn't have it's head up it's ****.
    I don't think FrankenGarnet can handle a third radio.

The 800w is supposed to have WiFi, I imagine the 900p will.
    I don't really like Wifi anyways, it absolutely murders battery life...
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milowerx View Post
    Please please PLEASE tell me why all new models of the Palm don't have Wifi!?!?! It just seems freakin' stupid! Yes I love my Treo phone but it's ridiculous to not at least allow drivers when the damn cards have already been made! It's supported on the Windows Mobile Treos. Why not on the Palm side?!?!!?
    I suppose you could say because you can get online with them anyway with the EVDO if you buy a data plan but what if you don't WANT a dataplan. Why should I pay for that if I don't have to? It can't be that the wireless companies won't allow it because they sell phones that have Wifi so that's not it. What if you just want to be able to use hotpsots? Why won't they just make a driver for the existing SD cards out there? Can someone please explain it to me? I really don't understand! It seems to me it just comes down to laziness. But you'd think a company that can make such a sweet device as a Treo wouldn't have it's head up it's ****.
    Verizon and Sprint tell Palm what and how to build.
    If these had Wi-Fi why would we pay Sprint and Verizon for a data plan?
    Wi-Fi = loss profits for telecom service.
    Because WiFi is not everywhere?
    Considering Sprint releases new smartphones with WiFi I don't think it has anything to do with loss of profits from data plans...
    Not having WiFi in its 2007 devices is one of the most stupid decisions by Palm. They could have done it at least for GSM Treos with WM. Even MP3 players now have WiFi as matter-of-fact.... But I suppose these decisions are taken hand-in-glove with carriers...

I'm in search for a replacement for my 650 and the only thing holding me back from the 680/750 is the lack of WiFi. Wait... or go with the BlackBerry or HTC... that is the question! And both options are a lot cheaper.

The other stupid thing Palm did was to NOT launch Foleo... after being harangued by still more stupid forums.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 01/27/2008 at 11:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    The other stupid thing Palm did was to NOT launch Foleo... after being harangued by still more stupid forums.
    Apparently this decision came directly from their new part owners, Elevation Partners. No forum told Palm to close their shops, but this happened too. Palm is not a healthy company.

Surur
    Foleo wasn't gonna be a replacment for a Treo for most people though, that thing was just too massive.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Apparently this decision came directly from their new part owners, Elevation Partners.
    Evidently they are not elevating anybody...

Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    No forum told Palm to close their shops, but this happened too.
    Palm shouldn't be listening to forum users, but the early reviews (...by blogs and the online community with priviledged access to the Foleo) were not glowing either. Now this same gang is ga-ga over the Eee PC (I believe this is in the same category as the Foleo, though a lot cheaper) and similar devices.

papped>>
    I agree... I shouldn't have brought-up the Foleo in this discussion, but I used to be a great fan, awaiting its arrival.
    Why would Palm take their time to develop something they won't make money on?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Personally, I don't get the need for Wi-Fi. I had a phone with both EV-DO and Wi-Fi and never turned Wi-Fi on. The battery like was too short, the coverage was (of course) limited, and the speed was really no faster.

I guess if you don't want a data plan it makes sense, but is that the majority of folks? I guess I just assume that, if you get a Treo, you're getting the data as well.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    Why would Palm take their time to develop something they won't make money on?
    Making money and sales volumes have only to do with sophisticated marketing and nothing to do with technology, as we have seen with the devil-phone.

With or without WiFi, or GPS, or touch screen, or slider, or flip, or thin, or whatever..., Palm only had to project it as a virtue to its potential users.

But the main point is, Palm does not have a "range"of products, unlike its competitors.

Edit: Unrelated, but this just landed in my RSS feed...
    http://blog.guykawasaki.com/2008/01/...-the-a-li.html

If you don't feel like clicking along, here are a couple of things:

“If society is ready to embrace a trend, almost anyone can start one—and if it isn’t, then almost no one can.”

and

Forget A-list bloggers. Lousy reviews by them cannot tank your product. Great reviews cannot make it successful. Focus on big numbers—any Technorati 1,000,000 blogger can be a channel to reach people. If enough people like your product, the A-list bloggers will have to write about you.

Last edited by GreenHex; 01/28/2008 at 07:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Personally, I don't get the need for Wi-Fi. I had a phone with both EV-DO and Wi-Fi and never turned Wi-Fi on.
    :^/ My printer supports WiFi, but not IR. So, my Tréo 755p would be able to print documents directly if only it supported WiFi. Instead I must fire up the PC, hot synch the Tréo to it, then print from the PC. Awkward and inconvenient even at home.

Now let's say that I want to print something from my Tréo while at work where the company doesn't have Palm software installed....
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Because WiFi is not everywhere?
    No, becaause you dont pay your provider for Wi-Fi use.
    My point was a choice between a device w/ data only or WiFi only, since FrankenGarnet cannot handle both.

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Last edited by vjdupree; 01/28/2008 at 11:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Palm shouldn't be listening to forum users, but the early reviews (...by blogs and the online community with priviledged access to the Foleo) were not glowing either. Now this same gang is ga-ga over the Eee PC (I believe this is in the same category as the Foleo, though a lot cheaper) and similar devices.
    Maybe because the EeePC is 10x the device the Foleo was going to be?

And I've said it before, but I'll say it again: WiFi isn't all about internet. I could care less about using WiFi hotspots, but would love to integrate my Treo into my home LAN. File transfers, streaming media locally, there are so many possibilities.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Even the HTC Touch doesn't have wifi. It's not because you don't pay for network data plans either. Most people that even use wifi will have an unlimited data plan anyways.

It's a cost saving feature on the hardware production considering that a lot of networks provide high speed data over the network anyways. They probably figure that a large majority of people aren't going to have the need for the use cases listed here. Considering how many people jumped from the HTC Titan (wifi) to the HTC Touch (no wifi) willingly, I would say they are probably right.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast