Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I transferred my TomTom 6 from Treo 650 to Centro. Tried to get it running but it said my device is not supported. Any one has TomTom 6 running on Centro? May be it would work on Treo 755p.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I have TomTom 6 working on our two Centros. I think I had to install a patch to get it to work, but I can't find the software I used.

You might try the 680 patch here:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downloads/gps_nav.html

Good luck!
    Got it on my 755p, & Centro..you need that patch.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  4.    #4  
    I downloaded the patch and got it working. Thank you so much.
    I too got it working with the new patch. However, I'm running into the same issue on my Centro as I was on my 650 with TomTom 6: it's slow as molasses. TT5 worked just fine on both, but TT6 is horribly slow, even if I load a map of a single state. There is at least a full second lag between zooming in and out, and I'm getting about 2fps while moving.

Do you guys have that issue too?

I've tried both a Kingston 2gb microSD and another brand of 64mb microSD, formatted as many different types of file system and cluster size as I could. Nothing worked. TomTom 5, on the other hand, runs silky smooth on the same card no matter how large the map is.

VFSMark gave my 2gb card a 978 rating.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    I too got it working with the new patch. However, I'm running into the same issue on my Centro as I was on my 650 with TomTom 6: it's slow as molasses. TT5 worked just fine on both, but TT6 is horribly slow, even if I load a map of a single state. There is at least a full second lag between zooming in and out, and I'm getting about 2fps while moving.

Do you guys have that issue too?

I've tried both a Kingston 2gb microSD and another brand of 64mb microSD, formatted as many different types of file system and cluster size as I could. Nothing worked. TomTom 5, on the other hand, runs silky smooth on the same card no matter how large the map is.

VFSMark gave my 2gb card a 978 rating.
    I too have the same problem. TomTom 6 runs slow. It started to load then stop at a white screen for about 8 seconds then finally got into TomTom. I have a 4GB AData SHDC card purchased from NewEgg. I don't know why TomTom is so slow on this Centro but not on my Treo 650. There is a few seconds delay when I tries to recalculate. Hmm, is that the speed of my MicroSD card? I don't think it would be. I'm going to turn off other programs like Uninstall, YAHM to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone got TomTom 6 running without this slowness? Please post to let us know what software you have running on your Treo. Any help is greatly appreciated. I was able to use it today but not very happy with it being slow. Thanks.
    My TomTom6 runs fine on my centro.... I have tons of 3rd party software.
    Same here, no problems. I just loaded the patch first, then the app...good to go.

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    Same here, no problems. I just loaded the patch first, then the app...good to go.
    Did you set up your GPS device before or after loading TomTom?
    Quote Originally Posted by nutech View Post
    Did you set up your GPS device before or after loading TomTom?
    I tried it both ways. No dice. Framerate is like 2fps. Same issue I used to have on my 650. I just don't get it. I even had a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB card in my 650 and got this behavior. There seems to be about 75% of people who get it running smooth and about 25% who don't. I get the same poor performance using the Garmin Mobile XT software.
    I paired my GPS first, then loaded TomTom, then just paired them together...

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I tried it both ways. No dice. Framerate is like 2fps. Same issue I used to have on my 650. I just don't get it. I even had a Sandisk Ultra II 512MB card in my 650 and got this behavior. There seems to be about 75% of people who get it running smooth and about 25% who don't. I get the same poor performance using the Garmin Mobile XT software.
    Could it possibly be a faulty phone? Do any games lag aswell?
  13.    #13  
    For troubleshooting purpose, I did a cold reset to get my phone back the way it was. Installed TomTom 6 without any other third party apps. Then try to run it again and the same slowness occured. So it's not the fault of 3rd party software. When TomTom tries to bring up the GPS screen, it takes a while to get into it. Seems like there are 3 seconds lagging time. Bejeweled 2 ran fine so I don't know if this is a faulty phone.

At this point it seems like trying a different MicroSD card is my only option. For those that has TomTom 6 running as normal, what MicroSD card do you have?
    Mine is running fine with alot of 3rd party software as well. I'm using A-Data SDHC 4GB Class 6.
  15.    #15  
    I have the same card. A-Data SDHC 4G. At this point I'm thinking I have a faulty phone. Wish I have a friend with a Centro so I can test it out. I'm going to call Sprint after this week to see if they are willing to replace it.
    From this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134695

"Very important is the cluster size of your card. You will get the best results with the following cluster sizes. Use the DOS box for formatting your card. I`m using a Transcend 4 GB / 150x with best results (16K), even with big Western Europe map.

Less than 4 GB (FAT16):
    2 GB SD (SanDisk) FAT16 mit 32K: format X: /FS:FAT /A:32K

4 GB and more (FAT32):
    4 GB SD or SDHC (Transcend) FAT32 mit 16K: format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K

"X" is the drive letter."
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by NewYorker545 View Post
    From this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134695

"Very important is the cluster size of your card. You will get the best results with the following cluster sizes. Use the DOS box for formatting your card. I`m using a Transcend 4 GB / 150x with best results (16K), even with big Western Europe map.

Less than 4 GB (FAT16):
    2 GB SD (SanDisk) FAT16 mit 32K: format X: /FS:FAT /A:32K

4 GB and more (FAT32):
    4 GB SD or SDHC (Transcend) FAT32 mit 16K: format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K

"X" is the drive letter."
    I format my card with option format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:16K. Now TomTom takes about 3 second to load. Wow, this fixes the problem with the slowness.

Thank you sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Could it possibly be a faulty phone? Do any games lag aswell?
    No, it's only TomTom 6 that is slow. TomTom 5 works silky smooth, just as it did on my 650, even with a full 1.2gb North America map. I've tried formatting my card in every possible combination of file system and cluster size on both phones. And my 2gb Kingston is benchmarked at 978 or so on VFSMark, which is far higher than could be possible on a 650, and higher than most average cards.
  19.    #19  
    No, it's only TomTom 6 that is slow. TomTom 5 works silky smooth, just as it did on my 650, even with a full 1.2gb North America map. I've tried formatting my card in every possible combination of file system and cluster size on both phones. And my 2gb Kingston is benchmarked at 978 or so on VFSMark, which is far higher than could be possible on a 650, and higher than most average cards.
    Have you tried a 4GB SDHC card? That may make a difference. Some users didn't have to format it at all and got it working fine. For me I need to format the card to get it to work. Also you copied the updated files to TomTom folder, correct?
    Have you tried a 4GB SDHC card?
    No.
    Also you copied the updated files to TomTom folder, correct?
    Yes, but that really wouldn't matter because the updated files don't offer performance increases -- only removing the device ID checks to allow the Centro to run TomTom.

I patched the previous versions of TomTom 6.0 to allow the Centro to run, and there was no speed difference between any of them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast