1.    #1  
    I have an old 650 which has a broken antenna. I'm getting it replaced through sprints insurance with a new phone. I believe they'll give me a new 650.

Here's my question though. I have a bunch of programs (all config'd how I like) chattermail, etc....

Is there an easy way to copy everything about the phone and put it onto the new phone so that the new phone is a complete carbon copy of the old?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarascal View Post
    I have an old 650 which has a broken antenna. I'm getting it replaced through sprints insurance with a new phone. I believe they'll give me a new 650.

Here's my question though. I have a bunch of programs (all config'd how I like) chattermail, etc....

Is there an easy way to copy everything about the phone and put it onto the new phone so that the new phone is a complete carbon copy of the old?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Well, if you have recently hotsynced that phone with the broken atennae with your PC, the Palm Desktop holds an exact copy of what is on your phone. Just hotsync the new phone when you get it (if it is a 650) with your PC, using the same hotsync name, and it will put all that info onto the phone. Good luck with your new phone
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I have a mac and use missingsync...i'm guessing that should work too.

Hopefully it will go smoothly.
    If you can, you may want to install SyncAll and sync the old phone with that turned on. That will sync all the bits that don't normally get synced, like preferences, wallpaper, configurations etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb5 View Post
    If you can, you may want to install SyncAll and sync the old phone with that turned on. That will sync all the bits that don't normally get synced, like preferences, wallpaper, configurations etc.
    Neat sounding program, small footprint (5K!), and priced right, FREE. However, it was last updated nearly 5 years ago. Can anyone confirm that it works on Treo 650 and/or any later models?
    -- Josh
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Neat sounding program, small footprint (5K!), and priced right, FREE. However, it was last updated nearly 5 years ago. Can anyone confirm that it works on Treo 650 and/or any later models?
    -- Josh
    Yes..this sounds very cool and thanks steinbej for asking for clarification.

I've yet to receive my new phone so I still have time to make sure I get it right. I would definitely not want to have to spend hours tweaking my new phone once I moved the old data onto it.

Everything about my phone works really great...I'd hate to have to waste time trying to get back to that.....(of course minus the busted antenna)
    Has anyone tried this with NVbackup? It works fine with the Treo 650, and is also free.
  8.    #8  
    Would using backup buddy off of my memory card after I install all the files from my laptop via normal syncing also do the job of restoring all the preferences, etc?

I'm half thinking that should solve everything.

Getting the phone in the mail this monday.....
    Resco Backup is very good
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarascal View Post
    Would using backup buddy off of my memory card.....
    a restore from a back-up of your RAM done by any good back-up app will do as well as the Hotsync approach -- if that is what your asking here.

some back-up apps are meant to do an even better job than Hotsync (eg NVFS-Backup), picking up some things NOT covered by HS, but Im not sure of the details.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TRgEOff View Post
    a restore from a back-up of your RAM done by any good back-up app will do as well as the Hotsync approach -- if that is what your asking here.

some back-up apps are meant to do an even better job than Hotsync (eg NVFS-Backup), picking up some things NOT covered by HS, but Im not sure of the details.

cheers
    TRgEOff, that is exactly what I was asking. Thanks for the info.

My plan is to hotsync the new phone...then pop my card in and restore from a backup. That way whatever the hotsync doen't cover (which as I'm understanding it, are things like preferences perhaps and some settings) the restore should fill in the gaps.

I'll post back when I'm done. Just waiting on the new phone.
  12.    #12  
    Ok...got the new phone. Had Backup Buddy program on card along with backed up treo data.

Popped the card into the new phone..did a restore from backup and that was that.

Everything was back..preferences and all with one exception: my data from DateBook5. All of my old entries were gone. Luckily most of them were not important but I could still back up from a hotsync I suppose.

Anyways, thought I'd update in case this is useful for anyone else.

Bad news is that I think my earpiece in the phone is dead. Worked on a couple calls then nothing. I'm on another thread now trying to see if theres a fix or if the phone is defective.
    Would restoring backup from a card work when changing from a 650 to a 680?