Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. vjdup's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
       #1  
    Didnt install anything new.
    Anyway to get it straightened out other than a hard reset?
  2. #2  
    Try a warm reset first. See if you still have the problem. If not, then there is some app either conflicting or some data corrupted somewhere OR it could be a hardware issue, although that is probably the least likely. If it is a hardware issue, you'll still see the problem even after a hard reset.
    Last edited by Treo Musketeers; 01/24/2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Hardware considerations
  3. vjdup's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
       #3  
    Warm reset?
    I had a reset button in the battery compartment on my 600, 650, and 700p. Alas there is no more reset button. So just pull the battery?
  4. #4  
    You can install Reset Doctor to see which app is actually triggering the reset.

    Might be a corrupted database or something.
  5. #5  
    Do you use Butler. I had a similar issue, it worked for a while, then sudden problems showed up and went away when I removed Butler.
  6. vjdup's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    You can install Reset Doctor to see which app is actually triggering the reset.

    Might be a corrupted database or something.
    Ive noticed that the ##377 doest log all resets.
    Ill get it & try.

    Thanks again Papped!
  7. vjdup's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    Do you use Butler. I had a similar issue, it worked for a while, then sudden problems showed up and went away when I removed Butler.
    Nope no Butler.
  8. #8  
    Yeah there are different types of resets also, which makes it hard to track. Sometimes it looks like a user initiated reset depending on how the reset happens, in which case means that Reset Doctor can't diagnose.

    Also it's useless in crashes/hangs, since you have to force reset, it displays as user initiated.

    http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/Insi...ache-crash.php

    Generic guide to diagnosing database or NVFS memory issues. My next step would be identifying the possibly "problematic" programs with Palm Internals through the method mentioned on that site and reinstalling them and/or possibly locking them into memory. As a general rule you want to lock apps that run in the background all the time.
    Last edited by papped; 01/24/2008 at 10:07 PM.
  9. #9  
    Oh yeah a couple more methods. Use Dbfixit, checks for db errors and fixes them.

    You may also have corrupted preferences db. Info on this from another site.

    2. Lost preferences - Fortunately this is rare, but since the PalmOS API doesn’t offer a standard way to clear the cache, dbCacheTool sometimes acts too aggressive in clearing the cache which can sometimes cause the Saved Preferences db to get corrupted. The only solution seems to be to restore the Saved Preferences.db file from a backup. There are other known causes of the “lost prefs” reset such as having “Enable Local Network Time” checked on Sprint/Verizon CDMA phones (in early versions of the firmware) and rogue Exchange Manager entries. Fix the former by unchecking the option and the latter by using Butler∞ or PrefDoctor∞to automatically fix those entries.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by vjdupree View Post
    Didnt install anything new.
    Anyway to get it straightened out other than a hard reset?
    Did you install an early test version of the Shadowmite Sprint splash screen hack? Known as Phone_SPCS.prc

    A crash with going to the Phone Preferences Menu item was common with 700p users that wanted to get rid of the call ended pop up.

    Later test versions of the Shadowmite splash screen hack fixed this issue.

  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by vjdupree View Post
    Warm reset?
    I had a reset button in the battery compartment on my 600, 650, and 700p. Alas there is no more reset button. So just pull the battery?
    Well, sort of. Simply pulling the battery and replacing it, is considered a soft reset. A warm reset, puts the Treo in "safe mode." Its like temporarily putting the Treo in default mode (no third party apps are running in the background). You simply take the battery out with one hand, and while holding the up key on the 5-way navigation bar with the other hand, you reinstall the battery.
  12. vjdup's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Did you install an early test version of the Shadowmite Sprint splash screen hack? Known as Phone_SPCS.prc

    A crash with going to the Phone Preferences Menu item was common with 700p users that wanted to get rid of the call ended pop up.

    Later test versions of the Shadowmite splash screen hack fixed this issue.

    I did, although that was about a week ago. Ive accessed the phone prefs screen since then.
    I did a hard reset, re-synched and lost all my reg codes. Yay.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by vjdupree View Post
    I did, although that was about a week ago. Ive accessed the phone prefs screen since then.
    I did a hard reset, re-synched and lost all my reg codes. Yay.

    Bummer, something to remember when you are recovering from a hard reset, go into the Tools of the palm desktop and change it to have Desktop Overwrites Device, so that you won't lose all those registration codes.

Posting Permissions