Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    In THEORY, wouldn't the GSM Centro be a bit higher-margin device for Palm? The EDGE radio vs. the EVDO radio should be at least a bit cheaper, in theory. I bet they'll both sell for $100 but the GSM variant might fall a bit faster in price than the CDMA version (especially if the only carrier with the CDMA Centro ends up being Sprint!)
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    In THEORY, wouldn't the GSM Centro be a bit higher-margin device for Palm? The EDGE radio vs. the EVDO radio should be at least a bit cheaper, in theory. I bet they'll both sell for $100 but the GSM variant might fall a bit faster in price than the CDMA version (especially if the only carrier with the CDMA Centro ends up being Sprint!)
    Which is why I will probably wait until March, even though I want it yesterday. If this thing really is going to go to T-Mo and others, it will put a lot of pricing pressure on ATT. My guess is that ATT will not have a great price in that first month, but when the other carriers start in, they will be more acceptable.

tim
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartNewbie View Post
    A little birdie told me the Centro will launch on AT&T on February 18th. More colors to come in March.

Did your little bird told you that the funky collor you were talking aboput was a green keyboard ?....

I can't waiiiiiiit

http://www.lescaribous.com/centroatt/01.jpg
    http://www.lescaribous.com/centroatt/02.jpg
    http://www.lescaribous.com/centroatt/03.jpg
    http://www.lescaribous.com/centroatt/04.jpg
    http://www.lescaribous.com/centroatt/05.jpg
    http://www.lescaribous.com/centroatt/06.jpg
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdazuelos View Post
    Did your little bird told you that the funky collor you were talking aboput was a green keyboard ?....

I can't waiiiiiiit
    In a PM to me, he mentioned that he didn't get to hold it for very long, but the white one would be the launch color, and it had a "kinda bright green numberpad"!!! When I saw those pics today, I knew he wasn't blowing smoke! He also said the launch was scheduled for the 18th of Feb.

C'mon, ATT!!! It's February tomorrow!

tim
    Last edited by TimmyB; 01/31/2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: extra word
    ha ha
    I'm in Canada, I'll order the centro anyway and find a way to get in unlocked ( I think it should be the same procedure as for the 680) ...
    I wonder if it will support WCDMA/UMTS, and if HSDPA, 1.8 or 3.6? It would be nice to have a GSM/UMTS in the POS/Centro form factor.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Quote Originally Posted by jdazuelos View Post
    ha ha
    I'm in Canada, I'll order the centro anyway and find a way to get in unlocked ( I think it should be the same procedure as for the 680) ...
    All the phones in Asia are unlocked, except the blackberry. You may consider to get it from Asia, like HK, Singapore etc.
  8. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
    I wonder if it will support WCDMA/UMTS, and if HSDPA, 1.8 or 3.6? It would be nice to have a GSM/UMTS in the POS/Centro form factor.
    Yes, it would be more than nice. Technically feasible? Nope. We'll have to wait for Nova (the new Linux-based OS Palm is developing). ETA: sometime in 2009.

Garnet doesn't support multitasking, so it cant handle simultaneous voice & data (or WiFi + phone).
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    I know, this discussion has been had before, but I'll bite anyway.

I really don't mind the lack of 3g/wifi. As soon as I buy my Centro, I will cancel the data service and save the $40/month on AT&T, just as I did 2 years ago. I just don't get a lot out of data service. No matter how clever one configures web pages and how fast the network is, I don't get a lot out of surfing the net on a 320x320 two-inch screen, so I don't mind not being able to do so. E-mail is nice, but text messaging will suffice, and text messaging does not require data service. Camera? Maybe I've just gotten used to the meager camera on my Treo 650. I don't use the camera, I don't depend on it to capture much. If I want a real picture, I use a real camera. Hell, these days, do my 2 megapixel and 4 megapixel Canon digital cameras count as "real cameras"??? (I think each is still great for nearly every use, by the way). So I don't mind the features that are not strong on the Centro.

Who is it aimed at? Priced for the cellphone crowd who want to do more with their phone (e-mail, text, some web, some pics, PIM stuff).

How will I use it? Just like my Treo 650. PDA plus phone plus mp3 player plus pictures plus text messaging. That's all this doctor needs on one device. And the one device saves me from carrying 5 (beeper, cell phone, message pad, mp3 player, pen/pencil, etc.) while oncall.

-- Josh
    ever hear of mobile web pages or RSS? youre living in the past... i couldnt imagine not being able to load up my rss read on my bb curve.... i even prefer it to read the news/blogs than on my pc.... you seriously need to look into rss, and most good sites out there have a mobile version...
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    i dont really give a crap about the color, in most cases, but the grean keyboard makes me wanna puke! yuck! who thought that up? i doubt any research went into that one...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12