Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    Note: I posted this in the general forum and had only one repsonse. I'm hoping this forum might provide more information.

Short version: AT&T and Verizon are the only carriers that work for me. and I'm sticking with the Palm OS. Thus the two options are the AT&T 680 or the Verizon 755p. Or wait until one or the other gets out a Centro (not sure I can wait as my current AT&T 650 is on its last legs).

So, why would I want one over the other? I know the specs, but what are the real world considerations, such as data speed (I use a lot of data), reliability, etc.

Also, are there advantages to the carriers? AT&T has not impressed me with the network reliability. How is Verizon?

Is there a noticeable difference between EvDo and EDGE? Can either be used as a modem for my laptop?

What about battery life?

Are the software products installed on them comparable -- e.g. same versions of Docs to Go, Ptunes, etc.

What am I missing? Fill in the blanks for me before I drop the cash for a new phone.
    it might be hard for people to answer just because you're asking about two different devices on GSM versus CDMA.

I'll just say this: I used the 650 and was very happy with it. the 680 is better, even with a few annoyances (after about a year I was having daily resets). after this latest update I feel like leading the cheers.

I've never used Verizon wireless but I'd say AT&T in my experience is a little bit better than Sprint, which I used with the 650.

I have seen raves about Evdo. most of my data use is for e-mail, though I hit the web probably 2-3x a day and it's fine -- nothing like broadband, but for my needs it's ok, & I wouldn't want to have to pay more.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Again, I may not be of much help, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have been very happy with my 680. In 14 months (2 days before Thanksgiving '06) I have had virtually no issues with my 680. Stable and reliable. I switched from sprint i500 to Cingular 680. Sprint coverage in my area was awful. I only had a signal 50% of the time. Cingular/At&T has MUCH better coverage in my community (small town in central CT). I think that one of the issues you will face: coverage is so location dependent. I can't get either evdo or AT&T 3g coverage near my home or office, and my edge is great (except spotty in some buildings). Also, every time I have checked, Verizon's data plans are significantly more expensive than AT&T around here. Everyone I know with Verizon is thrilled with it, but the cost and poor evdo in my area makes it a deal breaker for me.
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    Is the 680 3G compatible. I have coverage in parts of the areas I travel and definitely where I work (though not where I live). How does the 3G compare to EvDo for speed?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Sorry to confuse you. No, the 680 is NOT 3g, just edge. (Of course there have been numerous debates about edge being 2g/2.5g/3g and some nasty technical discussions about the definitions of such terms, but in general the 680 is not defined as 3g compatible.) I just mentioned the lack of 3g in my area, b/c there is no sense in me wanting faster data transfer b/c there is none from ANY carrier near me.
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    Made my decision. After several dropped calls, data connection not connecting despite full bars and resets on the phone I ordered a 755p from Verizon. It will be here Monday. Price of the plans are comparable. In the end I was swayed by the greater data speed and better track record reported for the 755p. And, I am just plain fed up with AT&T. The service was much better under Cingular! I'm hoping Verizon will work out.