1.    #1  
    Well, it's official ... I got a new screen for my 680 and from what I've found out. Screen protectors are the main reason why everyone is getting dust between the digitzire and the lcd screen. The dust is trapped between frame of the phone and screen protetors. That mm space, the dust is locked and forces itself into the unit and ends up the problematic areas.

The digitzire is hard to scratch ... I tried it on my old screen. Palm does a great job with the production of their screens.
    The digitizer is not hard to scratch, that is the reason I and others use the screen protectors. What I have done for the last 3 years though it to cut down the screen protector a bit to give me access to the edge of the screen for cleaning.

Ben
    Yep, more bad advice from E2EK1EL.

If you don't care if your digitizer gets scratched, fine, otherwise, use a screen protector. That simple.
    I've never used a screen protector on my 680, and have sent it back twice now in one year due to the dust issue. (You can find my thread about it down on this page or the next).
    I put my screen protector on too late (a month after buying my 680). My digitizer has a permanent criss cross scratch pattern on it from playing bejewelled.
    DurtyD does make a good point. Don't worry about dust. You're probably gonna have to send your Treo back 2 or 3 times anyway.

For what it's worth, I've had the same screen protector on since last January and no dust under the screen. With Treos the screen may last longer than on real PDAs anyway. The stylus rarely comes out for most common uses.
    Patrick Horne
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Another vote for no screen protector. Had a 680 since day one, no screen protector and no scratches. (Previously had a 600 for several years with the same experience).

Screen protectors always end up looking horrible IMO.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    My Javoscreen (Ultra Clear) looks great.. 2 minor scratches. I've had it on there about 6-9 months now, and I have a second one waiting in case I ever decide to replace this one.
    Mine came with the screen protector and car charger in same package. They (Rogers or Palm) actually applied the screen protector, so I didn't have to do anything.

About the scratches, it's easy to scratch the stylus surface. I had a few Palm PDA/Smartphone before. Turst me it's not that hard.
    3Com PalmPilot Personal > Handspring Visor Deluxe > Palm Tungsten T > PalmOne Tungsten T5 > PalmOne Treo650

Current Device: Palm Treo 680 w/1.12 Cust1 ROM, 4GB SDHC, GlobalSAT GPS Receiver
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Please delete this thread because it might scare new users
    ^This thread scares me. That's why I haven't used any screen protectors in roughly 4 years.

I prefer the naked Palm device.

I used screen protectors on all my treos and never had a problem. Cut and put on properly, you barely tell its on. I wear certain spots out every 4 to 6 months and just put a new one on. I would never want my screen exposed since I keep my treo in my pocket and sometimes things can scratch it. It has saved my screen more then once.
    Screen Protectors are always usefull. There is no 100% scratch proof surface: a hardware from Palm Inc. definitely has to be taken care properly

T|X (dead in 8 months) -> LD (dead in 10 months) -> T680 (Kicking with CUSTM1 ROM V 1.12 GSM Unlocked/Unbranded Version)
    I agree with using them. I trim a bit to leave room on the edges for cleaning. Ben
    this is wierd... have been using palm devices for years now and treos for 2 years and i ALWAYS put a screen protector on all of them. Never had the digitizer problem
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I've used screen protectors on all of my Treos and on my Tungsten when I still had used it, and no problems with dust getting under my screen. I keep mine in my pocket all the time. Currently I'm using a Boxwave Crystal protector that uses almost no adhesive.

May I suggest turning your pockets inside out and clearing all of the lint out before putting the Treo in ???
    PalmIII>PalmIIIxe>Palm TungstenT>Treo650>Treo680
    Just to add to the dialog, I got my 680 about nine months ago, and I thought the included screen protector seemed kinda clunky. So I did without.

Within about two months, my apparently heavy-handed play on Bejeweled had etched a serious crisscross pattern into my screen.

Alas, I dropped my unit onto pavement last week, and now I have a new one. The screen protector has gone on, and will stay on. BTW, I like the advice about cutting it just a little bit smaller than the actual screen.

Among those of you who like the idea of using these things, I wonder which one you think works the best?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Just to bring this discussion full circle, I've had a close look at the screen on my 13 month-old 680, which, as I said, have never had a protector on it. It definitely has no scratches...but it does have some dust under the screen!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    After having taken apart a couple 680's one of which has serious dust under the screen. I was able to see there is a gap in the screen where the cable for the touchscreen comes out. It also happens to be just below the hole for the earphone. On this particular unit we put a new screen without dust. Shortly after the same treo with the new screen developed more dust. This user always carries in his pocket. The users who use belt cases or similar never have had the issue.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    After having taken apart a couple 680's one of which has serious dust under the screen. I was able to see there is a gap in the screen where the cable for the touchscreen comes out. It also happens to be just below the hole for the earphone. On this particular unit we put a new screen without dust. Shortly after the same treo with the new screen developed more dust. This user always carries in his pocket. The users who use belt cases or similar never have had the issue.

I have one year carying my 680 in my pocket & no dust under the screen
    It as to be mount diferently
    BTW :I have since day1 a brando screen protector